Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam N10-007 topic 1 question 109 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's N10-007
Question #: 109
Topic #: 1
[All N10-007 Questions]

Which of the following would be the MOST efficient subnet mask for a point-to-point link?

• A. /28
  • B. /29
  • C. /31
  • D. /32
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
fichtl
Highly Voted 3 years, 11 months ago
It is /31 ! It works well ! just test it or google just a minute...
upvoted 10 times
Jkiernan
Highly Voted 4 years, 1 month ago
this would be b /29 because there are no available hosts on a /31 address because they would be taken up by the network and broadcast address
upvoted 7 times
rbrink2001
3 years, 12 months ago
Agreed, just did the sub net calculations, answer is '/29'
upvoted 1 times
definitely
2 years, 8 months ago
Checked Neela's comment, and it says that you can, in fact, use /31 for point to point. Interesting
upvoted 3 times
b0ugi3
2 years, 8 months ago
Wrong, you need a broadcast and net id, plus the point-to-point connection.
upvoted 4 times
Some_Random_Nerd
Most Recent 1 year, 9 months ago
Guess I gotta update my lesson plan for next year! some info that helped me understand this better: Look up RFC 3021. Using 31-Bit Prefixes on IPv4 Point-to-Point Links https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3021
upvoted 1 times
Renfri
2 years, 2 months ago
If you don't think it's /31, you need to study more jesus christ
upvoted 2 times
geober
2 years, 6 months ago
if there was a choice 30 , i would take it b/c Again, the /30 subnet mask provides the most efficient use of IP addresses by not wasting any IP addresses when it is applies to a point to point network connection.so 31 is the best answer .
upvoted 2 times
ekafasti
2 years, 6 months ago
/31 is correct. On a point-to-point connection, you don't need a broadcast address or a network address. All you need is the IPs for the 2 hosts. /32 is for a single host. /31 is definitely correct.
upvoted 1 times
CrazyFat
3 years, 2 months ago
rfc3021: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3021 "Using 31-Bit Prefixes on IPv4 Point-to-Point Links"
upvoted 2 times
Neela
3 years, 3 months ago
https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/when-and-why-we-use-31-subnet/td-p/1642780#:~:text=Using%20a%20%2F31%20subnet%20mask%20helps%20conserve%20your,but%20are%20rapidly%20running%20out%20of%20address%20space.
upvoted 3 times
betty_boop
3 years, 5 months ago
I did some research and just found out that /31 is actually the correct answer, it works for point to point. Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCivzbTkjQE
upvoted 5 times
YouDipEE
3 years, 5 months ago
/29 is wrong. For broadcast and network /30 will work. /31 for point to point. /32 for dedicated connection
upvoted 5 times
NightMonkey
3 years, 4 months ago
I agree with this, /29 is wrong as there are 6 usable addresses leaving 4 left over. /30 would provide 2 addresses perfect for point-to-point.
upvoted 1 times
Ejjaba
3 years, 2 months ago
/30 would provide 4 addresses and you only need 2 for a point to point connection. So /31 is the correct answer.
upvoted 2 times
Ed394
3 years, 7 months ago
/31 is correct for Point to Point links because you dont need a network ID or a Broadcast address.
upvoted 2 times
Charcoal2899
3 years, 8 months ago
The answer is /31, it is a well known fact that /31 subnet is the most efficient for point to point connections!
upvoted 2 times
Astrodarl
3 years, 9 months ago
RFC 3021 was introduced to allow the use of /31 subnets specifically for point-to-point links that don’t require a local broadcast. In these networks, any packet sent by one node must be intended for the other node, as there are no other possibilities
upvoted 5 times
MarMar08
3 years, 10 months ago
Although /29 sounds correct, I am pretty sure its /31
upvoted 3 times
MonkeyScent
3 years, 10 months ago
Some of you need extensive studies.. you can't use the final two bits. /31 and /32 are off limits.
upvoted 2 times
Poppins
3 years, 10 months ago
From what I've found everywhere online, the answer is /31.
upvoted 5 times
anspam
3 years, 4 months ago
Sorry buddy. RFC 3021 calls for /31 to be used for point to point links
upvoted 4 times
Ejjaba
3 years, 2 months ago
For a point to point link you don't use or need a network or broadcast address. It's literally point to point; only two addresses needed here. /31 is the correct answer.
upvoted 3 times
BMS0598
3 years, 10 months ago
Since this is for a PPP connection a /31 is the best option. Look for RFC 3021 on Google
upvoted 6 times
Tzu
4 years ago
I’m guessing if you’re configuring a Boarder Router / WAN Link a /31 should work.
upvoted 4 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...