Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-501 topic 1 question 945 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-501
Question #: 945
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-501 Questions]

A threat actor motivated by political goals that is active for a short period of time but has virtually unlimited resources is BEST categorized as a:

• A. hacktivist
  • B. nation-state
  • C. script kiddie
  • D. APT
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
dgse
Highly Voted 3 years, 5 months ago
I don't think that an hacktivist can be considered to have unlimited resources. But there's no better answer.
upvoted 8 times
DisasterRec
3 years, 4 months ago
Hacktivist is politically motivated and have virtally unlimited resorces, so match perfectly. A = Hacktivist
upvoted 7 times
exiledwl
3 years, 4 months ago
It matches comptias definition of hactivist
upvoted 3 times
tahh____
3 years ago
so is it A?
upvoted 2 times
boydmwanza
Most Recent 2 years, 9 months ago
Hacktivist is the only answer folks
upvoted 1 times
Sirthad
2 years, 10 months ago
Political goal = Hacktivist
upvoted 2 times
Dubbsnix
2 years, 12 months ago
I think it’s Nation state due to the unlimited resources, they launch attacks but don’t stick not around for too long because then it becomes a Cyber War.
upvoted 2 times
yeaggie
3 years ago
Unlimited resources is the key in this question that points to APT. Nation States are known for APT's
upvoted 1 times
JJJJJJames123
2 years, 12 months ago
APT's are not short term
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
3 years ago
"Hacktivists The term hacktivist is derived from the words hacker and activist. As the name implies, hacktivists are on a mission of some sort, and this could be anything from making a political statement to damaging an organization whose views they oppose. Hacktivists may act alone or in groups, as well as recruit a large army of like-minded hackers. Their attacks often follow a pattern and similar tools and techniques. They can pose a serious threat because they’re determined to reach their goals and are increasingly garnering the resources they need to carry out their agenda." https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/certification/security-how-to-explain-threat-actor-types-and-attributes/
upvoted 1 times
zadams16
3 years, 1 month ago
Just thought of this. Hacktivists could have 'Virtually' as many resources as they would want if they control a botnet that keeps growing. They can just control resources from other computers.
upvoted 1 times
aosroyal
3 years ago
i dont think that is what is meant when they say "resources". i believe resources mean money, manpower, time and political support
upvoted 1 times
meg999
3 years, 2 months ago
It can be A) hacktivist, because of the political motivation. Also they may have "virtually unlimited resources" cos they form in groups of people with the same/similar political goals and work together. Not sure why there is "active for a short period of time" in the question but still - this looks like the best answer
upvoted 2 times
Jeff35
3 years, 1 month ago
Man I think it is nation state...the reason it says "active for a short time" is to say that its not apt but still a nation state. I just don't know why the question will say active for a short time and have unlimited resources which implies a non-apt/nation state. And yeah, hacktivists can have good resources, but near unlimited? impossible..a group of people will eventually run out of money/resources. Professormesser says that hacktivist have limited funding.
upvoted 1 times
Cliff01
3 years, 2 months ago
but has virtually unlimited resources: would that not indicate Nation State as a hacktivist has limited resources according to CompTIA definition?
upvoted 3 times
Joker20
3 years, 2 months ago
Political, social cause , terrorism : Hacktivist
upvoted 1 times
JasonSignupHappy
3 years, 3 months ago
Its nation-state geniuses
upvoted 4 times
Groove120
3 years, 3 months ago
Where's your definitive reference? Because all the CompTia study material I have (Meyers, Dulaney backs up up both those answers. However with the amalgamated results: political - primarily hacktivist short term - primarily hacktivist virtually unlimited resources - NS Have to go with A, but please by all means, show us "geniuses" some definitive evidence that satisfies "politcal" "short-term" and "virtually unlimited resources" as being foolproof indicators of CompTIA's definition of NS, because my material surely doesn't have it. Hacktivist - motivated by political/social can be part of groups with vast resources. And most of the material I have researched bundles NS and APT together, makes that choice not so obvious IMO. One thing they do seem to agree on is that NS attacks are to maintain persistence and often to gather intel.
upvoted 7 times
squaresol
3 years, 3 months ago
D. Advanced Persistent Threat?
upvoted 1 times
meg999
3 years, 2 months ago
No - APT refers to the ongoing ability of an adversary to compromise network security (to obtain and maintain access) using a variety of tools and techniques.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...