Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-501 topic 1 question 157 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-501
Question #: 157
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-501 Questions]

A security analyst notices anomalous activity coming from several workstations in the organizations. Upon identifying and containing the issue, which of the following should the security analyst do NEXT?

• A. Document and lock the workstations in a secure area to establish chain of custody
  • B. Notify the IT department that the workstations are to be reimaged and the data restored for reuse
  • C. Notify the IT department that the workstations may be reconnected to the network for the users to continue working
  • D. Document findings and processes in the after-action and lessons learned report
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Stefanvangent
Highly Voted 4 years, 7 months ago
This is wrong, the answer should be B. The incident has been contained, so eradication and recovery are next.
upvoted 26 times
Jovo
Highly Voted 4 years, 3 months ago
D is correct, the key term here is "A security analyst notices anomalous activity ". pls note not every anomalous activity needs recovery, its all depends on the impact. since the issue is already Contained, what next is simply Documentation
upvoted 14 times
MelvinJohn
4 years, 1 month ago
The third phase is "Containment, Eradication, and RECOVERY" - we should not ASSUME that recovery may not be needed. It's not indicated at all by the question.
upvoted 10 times
MagicianRecon
3 years, 10 months ago
It also mentions identify and contain.
upvoted 3 times
MohammadQ
Most Recent 2 years, 9 months ago
This whole exam is literally the worst thing to ever happen to me. I read one thing then the answers another. Its asking what the next step is after identifying and containing but expects me to know recovery isnt needed because of “anomalous activity” like cmon man give me a break
upvoted 3 times
Brittle
2 years, 10 months ago
I go for B
upvoted 1 times
nakres64
3 years, 2 months ago
I think D is correct because this is a "Anomaly". We dont need to recover or reimage smt.
upvoted 2 times
Miltduhilt
3 years, 2 months ago
A. Document and lock the workstations in a secure area to establish chain of custody. from my CompTia Security+ SY0-501 book See pages 615 and 616.
upvoted 3 times
who__cares123456789___
3 years, 3 months ago
What is "Anomalous" activity were loops from a switch plugged wrong, or a broadcast storm of arp requests? Gonna re-image then machines then, after calling FBI and capturing images? you will be fired! Obvious answer is to document.....
upvoted 2 times
exiledwl
3 years, 4 months ago
I asked Messer if there were any trick questions on the exam and he said no, but this dump has so many dumb "read the exam writer's mind" questions smh
upvoted 4 times
WillGTechDaily
3 years, 5 months ago
Questions like this are unfair , containment means you did something , you isolated or did something to take care of the situation , the next step after doing something is recovery on restoring the data , lessons learned comes at the very end. Unfair question , Comptia simply ask what is the next stage after recovery or what happens after containment stop giving stories or stop putting answers that could be correct based on what someone is interpreting some test writer.
upvoted 3 times
hellyerc
3 years, 5 months ago
The security analyst wouldn't need to notify the IT department to do anything, since they know what to do, so the next step for that person WOULD be D.
upvoted 1 times
Rongupta
3 years, 6 months ago
containment is already done as per ques
upvoted 1 times
ShinyBluePen
3 years, 7 months ago
I guess it's not the analysts job to work with the IT department. lol, straight ice them out and submit his report.
upvoted 2 times
evolver
3 years, 7 months ago
So with this and any other question, can anyone confirm what CompTIA accepts as the correct answer? We all have opinions. I came to this site to.validate mine but was unsuccessfull.
upvoted 2 times
Kudojikuto
3 years, 9 months ago
The question says that the issue was contained, if this was not an incident, then it would not be a containment. This eliminates C and D. Because this is managed by an analyst, not a forensics investigator, I will incline that the next steps will be those from IR: eradication and recovery = answer B
upvoted 3 times
LukaszL
3 years, 9 months ago
I have found explanation in NIST 800-61: ("after action" is crucial here, I think) 3.2.5 Incident Documentation An incident response team that suspects that an incident has occurred should immediately start recording all facts regarding the incident. A logbook is an effective and simple medium for this, but laptops, audio recorders, and digital cameras can also serve this purpose. Documenting system events, conversations, and observed changes in files can lead to a more efficient, more systematic, and less error-prone handling of the problem. Every step taken from the time the incident was detected to its final resolution should be documented and timestamped.
upvoted 2 times
TeeTime87
3 years, 10 months ago
I think the answer is A, everyone may think im crazy but the last thing they did was contain which is get the computer off the network, so then what you need to eradicate and document and form a chain of custody so you can try to replay the event to see what happened to the device and until that happens you can not do a recovery or you wont know how to prevent it from happening again.
upvoted 2 times
michaelcook80
3 years, 10 months ago
No it is D I learned that in the CERTBOLT program I am also using
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...