Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-501 topic 1 question 426 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-501
Question #: 426
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-501 Questions]

A company is allowing a BYOD policy for its staff.
Which of the following is a best practice that can decrease the risk of users jailbreaking mobile devices?

• A. Install a corporately monitored mobile antivirus on the devices.
  • B. Prevent the installation of applications from a third-party application store.
  • C. Build a custom ROM that can prevent jailbreaking.
  • D. Require applications to be digitally signed.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Zacharia
Highly Voted 4 years, 2 months ago
The correct answer is: B. "Prevent the installation of applications from a third-party application store." You won't be able to jailbreak your device, unless you install a third-party application on it first. This question was also in the testout.com study material.
upvoted 14 times
brandonl
Highly Voted 4 years ago
It is D because that would almost remove the point of jailbreaking your phone. If all apps have to be digitally signed then you could not even make your own apps. you could only download them from a recognized source which would defeat a major purpose of jailbreaking and thereby reduce the risk of people doing it.
upvoted 10 times
psiso002
Most Recent 2 years, 11 months ago
Horrible question. It's like saying, we'll let a robber in the house, but how can we prevent him from stealing anything?
upvoted 1 times
Vero00
2 years, 11 months ago
'reduce the risk of jailbreaking, not prevent it.' Then D. Require applications to be digitally signed.
upvoted 2 times
[Removed]
2 years, 9 months ago
There are jailbreaking software that are digitally signed. What will stop a jailbreak software developer from digitally signing his software and put it in a 3rd party store?
upvoted 1 times
malvina
3 years, 2 months ago
All Android applications must be digitally signed with such a certificate in order to be installed and run on an Android device. All developers must create their own unique digital signature and sign their applications before submitting them to Oculus for approval.
upvoted 2 times
[Removed]
2 years, 9 months ago
I stand to be corrected but jailbreaking refers to iOS and Android it will be rooting.
upvoted 1 times
Miltduhilt
3 years, 2 months ago
Answer: D Reference: https://www.csoonline.com/article/2126539/is-ios-jailbreaking-an-enterprise-security-threat-.html
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
2 years, 9 months ago
The link you supplied supports answer B
upvoted 1 times
jbnkb
3 years, 4 months ago
If it was Android then B would be for sure. For IOS also it works. All you need to do is block Cydia installation to prevent Jailbreak. Apple also code sign all apps for their appstore before distribution so D works as well. Seems like a question written by someone who has never jailbreak or rooted their phones.
upvoted 1 times
jbnkb
3 years, 4 months ago
B. Prevent the installation of applications from a third-party application store. I guess the wording of B works against itself as it says to prevent applications installations from a third party application store. Cydia would be considered third part store. So in that case D works to prevent installation of Cydia itself. Only apps with App's Digital Signature will be allowed. Food for thought.
upvoted 1 times
Varus
3 years, 5 months ago
I don't really understand this question at all. First of all BYOD is bring your own devices. That means that it is theirs and i don't think you can make them install a custom ROM forcefully on their own devices, install a mobile antivirus, prevent them from installing from third party ( which is difficult on apple devices, remember jail breaking is on Apple devices, rooting is on android)....So for me this question is a non starter. So stupid if this question really is in the Security plus.
upvoted 1 times
Not_My_Name
3 years, 6 months ago
'A' won't stop jailbreaking. 'C' REQUIRES jailbreaking. 'D' Most apps in Google and Apple stores are signed, but this won't reduce jailbreaking. 'B' Google and Apple are reluctant to offer jailbreaking apps in their official stores, so these are more commonly found on third-party application stores. Not allowing apps from 3rd parties will reduce jailbreaking. Answer is 'B'.
upvoted 1 times
Rowell
3 years, 9 months ago
D is not the correct answer. Applications sold/downloaded from third party stores/sites can be digitally signed, thus rendering D invalid.
upvoted 1 times
FNavarro
3 years, 1 month ago
Ummm no
upvoted 1 times
bcarr789
3 years, 9 months ago
I am positive the answer is A. There are several antivirus apps that have jailbreak detection. https://www.certosoftware.com/best-antivirus-app-for-iphone-and-ipad-in-2017/
upvoted 2 times
MagicianRecon
3 years, 10 months ago
We need to reduce the risk of jailbreaking not prevent. If org makes sure that the mobiles can have only digitally signed apps, than that should deter them from jailbreaking all together.
upvoted 3 times
Teza
3 years, 7 months ago
You understood the logic. If the company's app that you would like to use on your phone requires that it is digitally signed, the app will not work on a jailbroken phone, so you won't be able to use your phone for work related activities
upvoted 2 times
lordsanty
3 years, 12 months ago
B. prevent installation ofapplications from a third party
upvoted 3 times
MelvinJohn
4 years, 2 months ago
I also think B is the answer. C is no-go: Building a custom ROM is an extremely daunting task. A is a no-go: an antivirus by itself will not prevent jailbreaking. D is out: can be hacked (see below). That leaves B as the best answer. [: pertentent info: Enforce a no jailbreaking or rooting policy with mobile device management (MDM) software. Any decent package will automatically exile any devices that have been tampered with. Mobile device management software enables IT teams to implement security settings and software configurations on all devices that connect to company networks. Evasi0n exploits a bug in iOS’s mobile backup system and defeats code-signing. (Code signing is a method of putting a digital signature on a program, file, software update or executable, so that its authenticity and integrity can be verified upon installation and execution. The single best defense against these common BYOD risks is to employ a great security system within your app. Also, run mobile antivirus software or scanning tools.]
upvoted 2 times
MelvinJohn
4 years, 2 months ago
After review, D is correct. All other answers have flaws. Antivirus alone won’t decrease the risk of jailbreaking. Building a custom ROM is a daunting task. A jailbreak app would likely be from a third-party app source – but not from a “store.” Unlikely that a jailbreak app would be digitally signed. So D is best.
upvoted 7 times
thebottle
4 years, 1 month ago
from my perspective d fits best as well On a privat owned device a company can by legal do not enforce the same things compared to a company owned device. In addition a company will not do the same things from a license cost perspective. instruction says decrease the risk, not completly eliminate the risk. a won#t help plus license costs b possible solution but to restrective , filters good and bad software c cant be done by law d possible solution, software which allows rooting will typically not come from standard store and will not be signed
upvoted 2 times
CSSJ
3 years, 6 months ago
yeah other comments says 3rd party app store can be digitally signed (which is true). But the company can use this as a way to whitelist the apps with the valid signature.
upvoted 1 times
b4ssey
3 years, 4 months ago
I believe why the answer is D is because it is BYOD. you can't force anyone to install a custom ROM or not to download from a 3rd party application. from elimination. D
upvoted 2 times
meg999
3 years, 2 months ago
exactly!
upvoted 1 times
MarySK
3 years, 8 months ago
It's their own device.
upvoted 2 times
riley5
4 years, 3 months ago
Why wouldn't it be A?
upvoted 1 times
Basem
4 years, 7 months ago
I think it is C. Build a custom ROM. How would a digitally signed application prevent jail breaking? That just verifies the integrity and the owner of the app. I can still jail break and not install 3rd party apps. Unless I am missing something.
upvoted 3 times
meg999
3 years, 2 months ago
the question is not about preventing, but minimizing the risk of jailbreaking. the question is also about BYOD, so the devices are owned by users, how can an employer forbid you using your own device for private stuff?
upvoted 1 times
ToPH
4 years, 7 months ago
I think you need to jailbreak/root your phone first in order to installing a new Custom Rom. I think it's either B or D, I'm not also sure how to digitally signed an application though.
upvoted 3 times
Stefanvangent
4 years, 7 months ago
I think the reasoning for the answer being D is that with digitally signed apps, it'll be easier for an MDM to detect if a third party app is being installed and use application whitelisting.
upvoted 10 times
who__cares123456789___
3 years, 3 months ago
ALL APPs from google and apple store are digitally signed. This is a roundabout way of saying ONLY ALLOW APPs from the App Store! Evidenced further from the false answer B. Prevent the installation of 3rd party app store!!! Just a thought!!!
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...