Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam N10-007 topic 1 question 310 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's N10-007
Question #: 310
Topic #: 1
[All N10-007 Questions]

A home user is unable to get to the Internet from a workstation that is connected to a wireless network. When reviewing the results of the ipconfig command, the user wants to verity the default gateway is correct. Which of the following devices should be the gateway?

• A. Cable modem
  • B. SOHO router
  • C. DNS server
  • D. Layer 2 switch
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
ktbirdfly
Highly Voted 4 years, 4 months ago
The key to this is the word "home user" most homes are connected via cable using a modem.
upvoted 18 times
GeraltofRivia
4 years, 2 months ago
Yes, but it is not just a modem that most homes use. It is a multifunction device (modem/router). The answer is incorrect. It is SOHO Router.
upvoted 14 times
Huh
3 years, 4 months ago
Don't try to rationalize this, it says it in it's name "SOHO" and as we all know Small Office Home Office routers are used in "homes" and "small offices" the answer is B.
upvoted 9 times
vt2019
Highly Voted 4 years, 5 months ago
If the user is using a router which behind a modem then the router IP should be the gateway, answer should be B - SOHO router.
upvoted 11 times
Bobisha
3 years, 10 months ago
modem has a router and switch like all in one. so nothing behind a cable modem
upvoted 2 times
BinarySoldier
2 years, 11 months ago
Unless it has been stated explicitly in the question, we can not assume that to be the case. We have modems without a router inbuilt into them. I believe the answer should be B
upvoted 5 times
Hamborger
Most Recent 1 year, 9 months ago
Selected Answer: B
uhhh the question says wireless...so I am assuming it is a combo modem/router. I chose B.
upvoted 1 times
simo77
1 year, 9 months ago
A home user is the key so its cable modem
upvoted 1 times
chanke
2 years ago
Selected Answer: B
From Mike Myer's course, he says that the default gateway is your router. And yes you can have a modem/router. Just Ipconfig on your windows or ifconfig for your linux.
upvoted 1 times
LuBuEquals1000
2 years ago
Its router. Such a bollox question. Some of these answers on here make my head want to explode.
upvoted 2 times
simo77
2 years, 1 month ago
If you want wireless Internet (WiFi), then you also need a router. If you don't want separate devices, get a gateway – also called a cable modem router – which is a device that is both a cable modem and router. answer is incorrect it should be cable modem router or soho router
upvoted 1 times
AlexTsing
2 years, 1 month ago
Any modem can provide WiFi option?
upvoted 1 times
Renfri
2 years, 2 months ago
This is just not correct. Modems don't route, how can you have a default gateway that doesn't route. Modem/Router combination yes, but cable modems are just changing analog to digital signals. Dumb question from CompTIA yet again.
upvoted 3 times
AlexTsing
2 years, 2 months ago
Does cable modem provide Wireless Connection? The answer should be home router
upvoted 2 times
kewlboy
2 years, 9 months ago
ig this question is saying that the computer was connected on to SOHO router via wire not wireless but the cable modem is connected wirelessly :/ i assume so idk what else it would be
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
3 years, 1 month ago
I selected router, but after referring back to the question, it states "a home user", which means there is a cable modem involved. Most communities have coax cables running to their home and a modem is needed to convert the transmission. So A is correct.
upvoted 4 times
Cesar_811
3 years, 1 month ago
A home user is unable to get to the Internet from a workstation that is connected to a wireless network. "Connected to a Wireless Network!"... how can the device be a "Cable Modem?" A wireless SOHO router makes more sense.
upvoted 1 times
examcol
3 years, 1 month ago
Correct answer is: B. SOHO router The default gateway's primary purpose in most homes and small offices is to direct Internet traffic from the local network to the cable or DSL modem that connects to the Internet service provider (ISP). The default gateway includes a router, which is the component that does the forwarding. https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/default-gateway
upvoted 1 times
cheltz
3 years, 1 month ago
Nobody said it was a cable. How would I know?
upvoted 1 times
Dirkster
3 years, 3 months ago
I haven't seen a modem in well over 10 years and thought they are obsolete. Every single connection I've seen since dial up uses a router for DSL, Fiber, 3G, LTE and so on
upvoted 1 times
anthonyyo
3 years, 4 months ago
I have had broadband since 1997, never once have I connected to the modem to configure PAT, it's always the router. I have never even seen a cable or fiber company do a modem/router combo. There is no way on earth the modem is the correct answer here.
upvoted 3 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...