Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam 220-1001 topic 1 question 125 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's 220-1001
Question #: 125
Topic #: 1
[All 220-1001 Questions]

Which of the following connects a PC to its default gateway?

• A. NIC
  • B. Switch
  • C. Router
  • D. Cable modem
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Elv_G
Highly Voted 4 years, 3 months ago
This answer is correct because the question is "What CONNECTS THE PC to the GATEWAY(Router)" A switch CONNECTS the PC to the GATEWAY(Router)
upvoted 18 times
Nick_Cave
1 year, 10 months ago
WRONG! your PC can connect to the default gateway without the switch
upvoted 2 times
Martin151999
3 years, 1 month ago
the switch isn't necessarily the answer, your NIC connects you directly to the router when there is no switch in home environment
upvoted 7 times
randomaccount72
2 years, 9 months ago
I agree. This is a poorly worded question. If you had no switch, you could still connect to a router, but without a NIC you could not.
upvoted 3 times
kyogen
Highly Voted 3 years, 9 months ago
My understanding is this. NIC is the pc, default gateway is the router, therefore Switch connects the pc to the default gateway.
upvoted 8 times
Austin13215
2 years, 8 months ago
that makes sense...
upvoted 1 times
Nick_Cave
1 year, 10 months ago
WRONG! because that would mean, without a switch, your PC can't connect to the default gateway. well, your PC can connect to the default gateway without the switch. so it's A
upvoted 2 times
adilek26
Most Recent 5 months ago
A is the answer accordingly Chatgpt
upvoted 1 times
cpaljchc
1 year, 5 months ago
"Which of the following best describes how a switch functions? It connects multiple cable segments or devices and forwards frames to the appropriate segment. It connects multiple segments of different architectures. It translates frames and broadcasts them to all of its ports. It connects multiple cable segments or devices and broadcasts frames to all of its ports. It connects multiple segments of different architectures. It translates frames and forwards them to the appropriate segment. It connects multiple cable segments or devices and forwards frames to the appropriate segment." Maybe the keyword is connect...that is how I can get myself understand why switch is the right answer here...
upvoted 1 times
Jambo123
2 years, 1 month ago
the wording is poor and confusing. Look at Proffesser messer practice exam 2 similar question and answer. What kind of device is installed into a computer and directly connects the computer to an Ethernet network? ❍ A. NIC ❍ B. Switch ❍ C. Repeater ❍ D. Bridge The Answer: A. NIC A NIC (Network Interface Card) is the hardware that connects a device to a network. Some NICs are integrated into computer motherboards, and other NICs are separate interface cards. The incorrect answers: B. Switch A switch is a network infrastructure device. Switches are not installed into computer systems.
upvoted 4 times
MADRA
2 years, 3 months ago
NIC. without a NIC you cant connect to anything . A home Router also acts as a switch in some cases.
upvoted 3 times
Gadjet
2 years, 7 months ago
The NIC is the first point of exit for any communicating device so I believe the answer is a NIC not a router.
upvoted 2 times
Evening4001
2 years, 9 months ago
Comptia is just one clever bastard. I couldn't wrap my head around as to why switch would be the answer until I reread the question----keyword: PC. PCs typically are desktop computers whereas laptops can just bypass the switch and connect to the router wirelessly.
upvoted 2 times
Mastro_Grim
2 years, 6 months ago
i'll tell you a secret, a pc can connect wireless (or with cable) to a router without a switch too. The keyword is "comptia sucks"
upvoted 4 times
benpike
2 years, 10 months ago
The default gateway is the first Layer 3 device (such as a router) (Google)
upvoted 1 times
Cjones10
2 years, 11 months ago
Here's what the 901-902 book says. I don't have the 1001-1002 book, but the 901-902 book works just fine. The book says router, so I'm going with router. "Gateway (bolded) When the User Configured radio button is chosen on the Alternate Configuration tab, you must enter a value in the Default Gateway field. This value must correspond with the subnet values and the IP address that you enter. This address identifies the router to be used to communicate outside the local network."
upvoted 1 times
Nobodyknow
3 years, 3 months ago
In a office environment, the gateway is definitely switch.
upvoted 1 times
YouKownNothingJonSnow
3 years, 4 months ago
What is a Network Switch versus a Router? Switches create a network. Routers connect networks. A router links computers to the Internet, so users can share the connection. A router acts as a dispatcher, choosing the best path for information to travel so it's received quickly. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/small-business/resource-center/networking/network-switch-vs-router.html
upvoted 2 times
Techie_guy
3 years, 9 months ago
The question is tricky. Default gateway is a Router. So, the question should be, what is the device used to connect PC to Router? If this a question that is very clear, the answer is Switch.
upvoted 1 times
Martin151999
3 years, 1 month ago
well it not clear still, because you don't need a switch on order to connect to the router ( default gateway ) you can directly connect to the router.
upvoted 4 times
dnbly
3 years ago
In a SOHO network, the WiFi router is a combined switch, router and modem. The built-in switch (see the LAN ports on the back) connects internally to the router which connects to the modem. It's an integrated device.
upvoted 1 times
Nick_Cave
1 year, 10 months ago
WRONG! because that would mean without a switch, your PC can't connect to the default gateway. well, your PC can connect to the default gateway without the switch. whereas, it CANNOT connect to the default gateway without a NIC (unless it has a wlan card) so it's A
upvoted 1 times
Techie_guy
3 years, 10 months ago
Confusing, cable wire should be the answer to connect PC to a default getway. And PC can connect directly to Router which is the default getway..
upvoted 2 times
dakchuh
3 years, 3 months ago
you would rarely see a PC connected straight into a router unless it's one of the home routers. A switch connects all end devices which then goes to the router because a router doesn't have many L2 ports to begin with.
upvoted 1 times
EmmaW
3 years, 10 months ago
It goes: NIC --> Switch --> Router, what connects? Both NIC and Switch does it.
upvoted 4 times
Cert01
4 years, 1 month ago
bad question.The switch can be built into the router/gateway. I believe NIC is a clearer answer, However, in the enterprise it would be a switch!
upvoted 3 times
LadyJ_Okonkwo
4 years, 3 months ago
This should be C. Router https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/computer-science/default-gateway
upvoted 6 times
klabarrie473
3 years, 8 months ago
the router IS the default Gateway...
upvoted 7 times
SirFrates24
3 years, 4 months ago
the pc is connected to the switch, switch connected to the router that has the default gateway and other paths to other networks if they have been configured.
upvoted 2 times
Martin151999
3 years, 1 month ago
depending on the environment that the network is set up, the PC can be connected directly to the router so for a home environment the answer would be NIC for a SOHO or enterprise the answer would be a switch, if the environment isn't specified just assume they mean SOHO
upvoted 3 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...