Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam 312-50v11 topic 1 question 17 discussion

Actual exam question from ECCouncil's 312-50v11
Question #: 17
Topic #: 1
[All 312-50v11 Questions]

An incident investigator asks to receive a copy of the event logs from all firewalls, proxy servers, and Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) on the network of an organization that has experienced a possible breach of security. When the investigator attempts to correlate the information in all of the logs, the sequence of many of the logged events do not match up.
What is the most likely cause?

• A. The network devices are not all synchronized.
  • B. Proper chain of custody was not observed while collecting the logs.
  • C. The attacker altered or erased events from the logs.
  • D. The security breach was a false positive.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Cytrail
Highly Voted 3 years ago
The answer is A, no attack by an attacker was mentioned in the question. The question bordered on event logs only. Let's not be faster than the examiners...
upvoted 15 times
MAAR1
1 year, 1 month ago
it says this is an incident investigation. so there should be an attack. i guess the answer is C
upvoted 1 times
awesomenessforso
11 months ago
The question states that the logs are in the wrong sequence, key word sequence. If the answer was C the logs would have been "missing"
upvoted 1 times
callmetodd
Highly Voted 2 years, 7 months ago
the big keyword here is "many" of the logged events do not match up. If it was NTP, then all of the logs wouldn't match up. I'd suggest C as the correct answer. however, there is such a thing as the 'eccouncil box' and a "theme" that goes throughout the exam and course. which may suggest that A is the best "eccouncil" answer ;-)
upvoted 10 times
Mr_Gray
2 years, 6 months ago
this is a great call out. excellent point.
upvoted 2 times
vitusisya
Most Recent 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Selected Answer: A
The time is not properly synchronized
upvoted 1 times
Daniel8660
1 year, 6 months ago
Unsynchronized System Clocks fUnsynchronized System Clocks Timestamp inaccuracy constitutes the network administrator unable to analyze the log files for any malicious activity accurately. (P.2880/2864)
upvoted 2 times
StormCloak4Ever
1 year, 9 months ago
The best answer is A.
upvoted 1 times
EngnSu
1 year, 10 months ago
p.2874 Unsynchronized System Clocks can affect the working of automated tasks; The network administrator cannot accurately analyze the log files for any malicious activity, if the timestamps are mismatched
upvoted 3 times
K3nz0420
2 years, 2 months ago
A is the ans
upvoted 1 times
lawbut2
2 years, 5 months ago
A is best answer. p2864 Unsynchronized System Clocks
upvoted 1 times
Snipa_x
2 years, 7 months ago
Answer will be A. If NTP is not utilized on all the logging servers then the event's will not correlate.
upvoted 1 times
smurphuk
2 years, 7 months ago
The CEH course taught me that "an attacker may erase logs to avoid being caught". I'll be damned if the answer is not C?!? Time isnt even mentioned in the question.
upvoted 4 times
Mr_Gray
2 years, 7 months ago
the mention of synchronization can indicate the NTP is not set correctly. You do have validity to your point as if an attacker erased logs then they wouldn't match up later. This one merits additional research.
upvoted 1 times
GTofic
2 years, 4 months ago
If the attacker erased the log there will be no correlation of the information. Answer is A, its about NTP (time) not synchronized
upvoted 1 times
Re_My
2 years, 4 months ago
I agreed, C is the rigth Answer acording to Infosec course. An Attacker may delete logs to erase trace.
upvoted 2 times
selamkelamlar
2 years, 8 months ago
i go with A.
upvoted 1 times
cerzocuspi
3 years ago
A is correct. Time sync
upvoted 3 times
OleMadhatter
3 years ago
(A) time synchronization is off.
upvoted 2 times
americaman80
3 years ago
Time synchronization is an important middleware service of distributed systems, amongst which Distributed Intrusion Detection System (DIDS) makes extensive use of time synchronization in particular.
upvoted 4 times
sam422
3 years ago
If the assumption is Time Sync, then Answer A makes sense, however, it appears devices sync type, which makes answer C
upvoted 1 times
dolumo
2 years, 11 months ago
"the sequence of many of the logged events do not match up" C would have been correct if some events were not on some logs
upvoted 3 times
sam422
3 years ago
I go with C, an attacker can change time stamps to cover tracks
upvoted 2 times
fishPSU21
3 years, 1 month ago
if the company experienced a breach the correct answer should be C since the attacker most likely covered up their tracks
upvoted 1 times
AndreasH
3 years, 1 month ago
Wouldn't the attacker rather delete events completely from the logs instead of just changing the timeline? As I read the question the events are there, but the timeline is messed up (between devices), indicating a time sync problem.
upvoted 6 times
fishPSU21
3 years, 1 month ago
I can see that standpoint and get behind it.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...