Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam GCFA topic 1 question 1 discussion

Actual exam question from GIAC's GCFA
Question #: 1
Topic #: 1
[All GCFA Questions]

Adam, a malicious hacker has successfully gained unauthorized access to the Linux system of
Umbrella Inc. Web server of the company runs on Apache. He has downloaded sensitive documents and database files from the computer. After performing these malicious tasks, Adam finally runs the following command on the Linux command box before disconnecting. for (( i = 0;i<11;i++ )); do dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda && dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda done
Which of the following actions does Adam want to perform by the above command?

• A. Making a bit stream copy of the entire hard disk for later download.
  • B. Deleting all log files present on the system.
  • C. Wiping the contents of the hard disk with zeros.
  • D. Infecting the hard disk with polymorphic virus strings.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
PrismWalker
5 months, 1 week ago
The command that Adam has run is intended to wipe the contents of the hard disk. Here’s what it does: • dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda: This part of the command writes random data to the hard disk (/dev/hda). The dd command is used for low-level copying from one location (if, or input file) to another (of, or output file). In this case, it’s copying from /dev/random, which generates random data, to /dev/hda, which represents the hard disk. • dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda: This part of the command writes zeros to the hard disk, effectively overwriting the random data from the previous command. • for (( i = 0;i<11;i++ )); do ... done: This is a loop that runs the dd commands 11 times. This is likely done to make sure that the data is thoroughly overwritten and cannot be recovered.
upvoted 1 times
PrismWalker
5 months, 1 week ago
i think it's C
upvoted 1 times
boyladdudeman
3 years, 1 month ago
C is correct
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...