Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam Professional Cloud Architect topic 1 question 122 discussion

Actual exam question from Google's Professional Cloud Architect
Question #: 122
Topic #: 1
[All Professional Cloud Architect Questions]

You have an application that runs in Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE). Over the last 2 weeks, customers have reported that a specific part of the application returns errors very frequently. You currently have no logging or monitoring solution enabled on your GKE cluster. You want to diagnose the problem, but you have not been able to replicate the issue. You want to cause minimal disruption to the application. What should you do?

• A. 1. Update your GKE cluster to use Cloud Operations for GKE. 2. Use the GKE Monitoring dashboard to investigate logs from affected Pods.
  • B. 1. Create a new GKE cluster with Cloud Operations for GKE enabled. 2. Migrate the affected Pods to the new cluster, and redirect traffic for those Pods to the new cluster. 3. Use the GKE Monitoring dashboard to investigate logs from affected Pods.
  • C. 1. Update your GKE cluster to use Cloud Operations for GKE, and deploy Prometheus. 2. Set an alert to trigger whenever the application returns an error.
  • D. 1. Create a new GKE cluster with Cloud Operations for GKE enabled, and deploy Prometheus. 2. Migrate the affected Pods to the new cluster, and redirect traffic for those Pods to the new cluster. 3. Set an alert to trigger whenever the application returns an error.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C 🗳️
Reference:
https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/management-tools/using-logging-your-apps-running-kubernetes-engine

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
TotoroChina
Highly Voted 2 years, 9 months ago
According to the reference, answer should be A. https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/management-tools/using-logging-your-apps-running-kubernetes-engine
upvoted 43 times
MF2C
2 years, 3 months ago
But updating cluster requires downtime, isn't it?
upvoted 4 times
Nick89GR
2 years ago
No it actually does not require to shut down the cluster: https://cloud.google.com/stackdriver/docs/solutions/gke/installing#console_1
upvoted 4 times
enter_co
1 year, 6 months ago
The problem in A) answer is that it is not alert-based. All recent trainings recommend use of alerts for troubleshooting, not dashboards.
upvoted 2 times
don_v
3 months, 1 week ago
What about "2. Use the GKE Monitoring dashboard to investigate logs from affected Pods" then? I'd really like to learn how anyone can use "Monitoring dashboard to investigate logs". It's just absurd.
upvoted 1 times
shashii82
1 month, 1 week ago
Monitoring console – In the Kubernetes Engine section of the Monitoring console, select the appropriate cluster, nodes, pod or containers to view the associated logs.
upvoted 1 times
don_v
3 months, 1 week ago
Also, an "alert" is the keyword here. No need to make anyone pressing a button every 5 minutes or so (like in In the TV show "Lost," where not pushing the button in the Swan Station results in a catastrophic electromagnetic event. o-;
upvoted 1 times
poseidon24
2 years, 9 months ago
correct, from GCP best practices for GKE we should rely on native logging capabilities. No need for additional solutions like Prometheus. Also it is about reviewing logs, monitoring the service, not receiving alerts each time its happens, that will not provide any insight on the issue.
upvoted 19 times
victorlie
2 years, 7 months ago
Also, as long you know there is a problem, i think you should investigate immediately the issue, not wait for new errors
upvoted 6 times
XDevX
Highly Voted 2 years, 9 months ago
IMHO a) is the correct answer, not c) The point is, that we have a scenario in that often errors in GKE happen - within 2 week a lot of people complained about a lot of errors. For the past we have no data at all as we have not monitored anything. That means we will collect data from now on to find out what the problem is. The additional value of an alert is not clear - and it for me not clear why we need additionally to install Prometheus considering that until now we had no GKE monitoring at all. Please correct me if I am wrong.
upvoted 18 times
e5019c6
3 months, 4 weeks ago
Right, if we enable Cloud Operations we should be able to see the logs from this point onwards. Data of past errors would not be visible. It's not rational to expect developers to check every hour for appearances of the error in the logs, and that's where an alert comes in handy. It'll notify you when the conditions that led to the error appear again so that developers can analyze the logs and understand the problem. I agree that installing Prometheus is not needed today, but it seems that it was the only option at the time to set up alerts and, in my opinion, the alerts are vital to diagnose the problem.
upvoted 1 times
yas_cloud
Most Recent 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Options A and C are less disruptive. Option C adds Prometheus on top which looks like overkills for this simple/initial level of troubleshooting. I would go with option A
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
3 months, 4 weeks ago
A A provides native solution to GCLoud Why not C? from GCP best practices for GKE we should rely on native logging capabilities. No need for additional solutions like Prometheus. Also it is about reviewing logs, monitoring the service, not receiving alerts each time its happens, that will not provide any insight on the issue. Prometheus could potentially help identify when the issue occurs, it doesn't directly help with diagnosing the root cause of the problem. B & D rejected because migration will cause distruption. https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/management-tools/using-logging-your-apps-running-kubernetes-engine
upvoted 1 times
e5019c6
3 months, 4 weeks ago
Selected Answer: C
If we enable Cloud Operations we should be able to see the logs from this point onwards. Data of past errors would not be visible. It's not rational to expect developers to check every hour for appearances of the error in the logs, and that's where an alert comes in handy. It'll notify you when the conditions that led to the error appear again so that developers can analyze the logs and understand the problem. I agree that installing Prometheus is not needed today, but it seems that it was the only option at the time they created this question to set up alerts and, in my opinion, the alerts are vital to diagnose the problem.
upvoted 2 times
rohen21
4 months, 4 weeks ago
Marked in Green is the real exam ans, or the community most voted one? I'm confused now hehe
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
3 months, 4 weeks ago
Look for answers in discussion, read related documents as well. 95% times, most voted answer in discussions is corrrect, but reading google's doc is also necessary
upvoted 1 times
e5019c6
3 months, 4 weeks ago
As far as I know, it's the answer the uploader of the question set as correct. But it's not necesarily the correct one. The community voted one is more probably right.
upvoted 1 times
thewalker
5 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: C
As per https://cloud.google.com/stackdriver/docs/managed-prometheus - Correct option, I feel is C.
upvoted 1 times
CyanideX
6 months ago
Selected Answer: A
Answer is A
upvoted 1 times
JPA210
6 months, 2 weeks ago
I think answer A is enough, but if you want a more complete solution C could be a good option: https://cloud.google.com/stackdriver/docs/managed-prometheus
upvoted 1 times
midori_jn
7 months, 2 weeks ago
Could anyone kindly explain why B is incorrect? Thank you.
upvoted 2 times
simply_groovy
8 months, 3 weeks ago
hi folks, for those who have the complete questions for this PCA exam, would you be kind enough to share it with me? I am scheduled to take the exam next week, please send it to [email protected]. Thanks!
upvoted 1 times
mastak1la
9 months ago
hi folks, for those who have the complete questions for this PCA exam, would you be kind enough to share it with me? I am scheduled to take the exam next week, please send it to [email protected]. Thanks!
upvoted 1 times
3ana
11 months, 1 week ago
hi guys, for those who have the complete questions for this PCA exam, would you be kind enough to share it with me? I am scheduled to take the exam this coming June, please send it to [email protected]. Thanks!
upvoted 1 times
JC0926
1 year ago
A. 1. Update your GKE cluster to use Cloud Operations for GKE. 2. Use the GKE Monitoring dashboard to investigate logs from affected Pods. By updating your GKE cluster to use Cloud Operations for GKE (formerly known as Stackdriver), you enable monitoring and logging without disrupting the application. The GKE Monitoring dashboard allows you to investigate logs from affected Pods, which helps you diagnose the problem that customers have reported. This approach minimizes disruption to the application while providing the necessary information to identify and resolve the issue
upvoted 3 times
kratosmat
1 year ago
As described here https://cloud.google.com/stackdriver/docs/solutions/gke is it possible to install prometheus as part of cloud operation suite.
upvoted 1 times
thamaster
1 year, 4 months ago
you want to minimize change so A is the best answer also you don't know what is the issue by reviewing the logs you can find something
upvoted 1 times
omermahgoub
1 year, 4 months ago
The best option is D. 1. Create a new GKE cluster with Cloud Operations for GKE enabled, and deploy Prometheus. 2. Migrate the affected Pods to the new cluster, and redirect traffic for those Pods to the new cluster. 3. Set an alert to trigger whenever the application returns an error. Here's why: Option A does not involve creating a new GKE cluster, which means you will not be able to isolate the affected Pods from the rest of the application. This can make it difficult to diagnose the issue without disrupting the entire application.
upvoted 3 times
omermahgoub
1 year, 4 months ago
Option B involves deploying a new version of the application, which may or may not fix the issue. Additionally, this option does not address the root cause of the issue or provide a way to monitor the application for future errors. Option C involves deploying a new version of the application and setting an alert to trigger whenever the application returns an error. However, this option does not involve creating a new GKE cluster or migrating the affected Pods to a separate cluster, which means that the issue could continue to affect the entire application.
upvoted 1 times
CosminCiuc
1 year, 2 months ago
You cannot automatically migrate pods from one cluster to another. You would have to manually deploy the workloads on the new cluster. And you have the problem of configuring the services in the new cluster. You will need to use new IP addresses for the services, modify the DNS to direct the client applications to the services from the new cluster. Very, very complicated. I would exclude the answer that propose creation of new GKE clusters.
upvoted 2 times
Sur_Nikki
11 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks again for such a descriptive and well convinced explanation
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...