Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam 101-500 topic 1 question 5 discussion

Actual exam question from LPI's 101-500
Question #: 5
Topic #: 1
[All 101-500 Questions]

Which of the following is true when a file system, which is neither listed in /etc/fstab nor known to system, is mounted manually?

• A. systemd ignores any manual mounts which are not done using the systemctl mount command
  • B. The command systemctl mountsync can be used to create a mount unit based on the existing mount
  • C. systemd automatically generates a mount unit and monitors the mount point without changing it
  • D. Unless a systemd mount unit is created, systemd unmounts the file system after a short period of time
  • E. systemctl unmount must be used to remove the mount because system opens a file descriptor on the mount point
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
benjmcy
Highly Voted 3 years, 10 months ago
I think the answer is C. systemd mount unit is created and located at /proc/self/mountinfo once you mount a hotplug device manually.
upvoted 23 times
ilputto
Highly Voted 3 years, 5 months ago
It's A!
upvoted 6 times
gvozdik
Most Recent 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Selected Answer: C
I can confirm, that the answer is not D. Passed the exam today with nearly perfect result and had only one mistake, after I've chosen D in this question. I'm quite sure the mistake was in this question, since this was the only question in this category I had trouble with and the score report tells me, that I did a mistake in exact this category (devices and Linux filesystems). So the correct answer is probably C.
upvoted 1 times
Foelixxx
2 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: D
Systemd doesn't do anything automatically. It work only if you add a mount unit or edit fstab file. I'm not sure something like that can come into exam.
upvoted 1 times
Blindspot205
3 months, 2 weeks ago
D. Unless a systemd mount unit is created, systemd unmounts the file system after a short period of time. This statement is not accurate. systemd doesn't automatically unmount a file system just because a systemd mount unit is not created. When a file system is mounted manually, systemd does not have a specific timeout for unmounting it. The file system will remain mounted until explicitly unmounted using the umount command or a similar method. Therefore, option D is not a behavior associated with systemd when a file system is mounted manually. The more accurate representation is option C, where systemd automatically generates a mount unit and monitors the mount point without actively unmounting it.
upvoted 1 times
slacked4222
4 months, 3 weeks ago
Gpt and bard say D
upvoted 1 times
adriencr
8 months, 3 weeks ago
C. systemd automatically generates a mount unit and monitors the mount point without changing it Lorsqu'un système de fichiers est monté manuellement (sans être défini dans /etc/fstab et sans utiliser une unité de montage systemd spécifique), systemd génère automatiquement une unité de montage temporaire pour suivre ce point de montage. Il ne modifie pas le point de montage, mais il le surveille, ce qui permet au reste du système de réagir en conséquence si nécessaire. Les autres options énumérées ne décrivent pas correctement le comportement standard de systemd avec les montages manuels.
upvoted 1 times
AdamCzepiel
1 year, 6 months ago
I tested it with manual mounting a ext4 Partition in /mnt/sdbext3. After systemctl list-units -type mount the mnt-sdbext3.mount apeared. So Unit was automatically created. Answer C is correct
upvoted 4 times
podm
1 year, 6 months ago
Correct answer A. I consulted with my Linux trainer. Systemd can mount disks. But the systemd will not mount disks unless it is directly ordered to do so. In the fstab file or by creating a unit.
upvoted 1 times
podm
1 year, 6 months ago
Sorry, Correct answer C.
upvoted 2 times
erikseals
1 year, 10 months ago
B. The command systemctl mountsync can be used to create a mount unit based on the existing mount
upvoted 1 times
Lazylinux
1 year, 11 months ago
This had done my head and can see from others comments too...i was gunned for C but after reading the LPIC guide page 486-502 there was nothing to support answer C and it was clear that systemd doe NOT automatically create mount points system unit i.e. mount unit needs be created frst and auto-mount unit only then systemd manages the mount point automatically and hence C is NOT the answer..from the discussion in the link iam providing it seems to be D which i though from the first place i.e. i was 50-50 between C and D but now im sure it is D and if comes in exam i will gun for D, read all discussion in the link and you will see this comment quite often from varies users in different situations
upvoted 3 times
Lazylinux
1 year, 11 months ago
***adding further comments because limit on text*** I'm experiencing more diffulties with 'mount' failing silently. Below is a transcript of two examples of this. In the first case, it seems from 'journalctl' that the kernel is mounting the device, but Systemd is (silently, to the user) unmounting it. Unlike with my original example, systemctl daemon-reload does not fix the problem. https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1741 Feel free to comments further but please back it up with facts!!
upvoted 1 times
k3n_
1 year, 9 months ago
After some tests i realized that systemd don't unmount the unit after short period of time, unless the system is reboot. However, D. seems more ok than C.
upvoted 1 times
gonzaloco
1 year, 12 months ago
For me is C
upvoted 4 times
MaikyCR28
2 years ago
This took me several days. The correct answer is D. Why? A. It's not mandatory to use the "systemctl mount" to mount manual mount points. B. The command "systemctl mountsync" doesn't exist. (https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/systemctl.1.html) C. "systemd automatically generates a mount unit and monitors the mount" yes, but it also says "without changing it", and when a mount point is mounted manually without list it on /etc/fstab the mount unit will be unmounted every boot time, or even, on each period of time D. If you don't announce the mount pint in /etc/fstab, the only way to have a correct mount point is by creating it with the systems mount (https://oguya.ch/posts/2015-09-01-systemd-mount-partition/). Finally we can set a cron that start the mount unit every boot time, which, it can not be possible whit the option C without creating an entry on the /etc/fstab file. E. And finally the "E" answer all we know doesn't make sense.
upvoted 3 times
[Removed]
2 years, 3 months ago
Answer C is true.
upvoted 1 times
anhcq
2 years, 4 months ago
According to systemd.mount man page: "Mount points created at runtime (independently of unit files or /etc/fstab) will be monitored by systemd and appear like any other mount unit in systemd."
upvoted 5 times
anhcq
2 years, 5 months ago
I think the answer should be C. According to systemd.mount man page: "Mount points created at runtime (independently of unit files or /etc/fstab) will be monitored by systemd and appear like any other mount unit in systemd."
upvoted 1 times
EMordenti
2 years, 5 months ago
The answer is B but it what happens is that it must be badly transcribed, something must be missing. First execute systemctl mount After execute sync to sincronize.
upvoted 1 times
EMordenti
2 years, 4 months ago
Sorry. Definitely, the answer is C. Command systemctl mountsync not exist. As formulated, the answer is not correct. If the command is executed separately (systemctl mount and after sync, in other line) will be valid.
upvoted 4 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...