Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam 102-500 topic 1 question 114 discussion

Actual exam question from LPI's 102-500
Question #: 114
Topic #: 1
[All 102-500 Questions]

If neither cron.allow nor cron.deny exist in /etc/, which of the following is true?

• A. Without additional configuration, all users may create user specific crontabs.
  • B. Without additional configuration, only root may create user specific crontabs.
  • C. The cron daemon will refuse to start and report missing files in the system's logfile.
  • D. When a user creates a user specific crontab the system administrator must approve it explicitly.
  • E. The default settings of /etc/crond.conf define whether or not user specific crontabs are generally allowed or not.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: E 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
yigido
Highly Voted 3 years, 7 months ago
Answer is B, tested.
upvoted 16 times
Jorro99404
3 years, 6 months ago
I am also for "B" "If neither cron.allow nor cron.deny exists, superuser privileges are required to run the crontab command."
upvoted 7 times
Thi_86
Highly Voted 3 years, 7 months ago
I think that is "A" correct.
upvoted 11 times
Raafiik
Most Recent 2 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: A
Anser A is correct
upvoted 1 times
fdat
11 months, 2 weeks ago
Selected Answer: B
If the cron.allow file exists, a user must be listed in it to be allowed to use crontab. If the cron.allow file does not exist but the cron.deny file does exist, then a user must not be listed in the cron.deny file in order to use crontab. If neither of these files exist, then only the super user is allowed to use crontab.
upvoted 1 times
jurgen1
11 months, 3 weeks ago
Selected Answer: A
A. Without additional configuration, all users may create user-specific crontabs. In Unix-based operating systems, the cron daemon is used to schedule and run commands periodically. The cron daemon reads the system crontab file /etc/crontab and user-specific crontab files located in the /var/spool/cron directory. By default, all users can create and modify their own user-specific crontab files without additional configuration. The cron.allow and cron.deny files are optional and can be used to control which users are allowed or denied permission to create or modify their own user-specific crontab files. Therefore, option A is correct. If neither cron.allow nor cron.deny exist in /etc/, all users can create their own user-specific crontab files without additional configuration. Options B, C, D, and E are incorrect because they do not describe the behavior of the cron daemon in the given scenario.
upvoted 3 times
Mchoeti
1 year ago
It is B: I checked the docu According to the Cron documentation, if neither cron.allow nor cron.deny exist in /etc/, the correct answer is B: "Without additional configuration, only root may create user specific crontabs.
upvoted 2 times
karamazov
1 year, 1 month ago
Which one should I choose... the most voted or the one delivered by the system?
upvoted 2 times
Adam_H
1 year, 2 months ago
As access to cron without the existence of "cron.allow" or "cron.deny" files differs depending on which distro you're using, the only thing we know for sure is that root will be able to access it if neither file is present. "If neither of these files exist, the user’s access to cron job scheduling depends on the distribution used." source: LPIC-1 (102) (Version 5.0), page 206
upvoted 1 times
TT924
1 year, 4 months ago
Selected Answer: E
Every distro has it own setttings
upvoted 3 times
il_biondo
1 year, 4 months ago
Answer B ...because: What is always true is that root may always create user crontabs in the way of run "crontab -e" with sudo (root privilegies) Others are wrong because: A. "all users may create user specific crontabs" is true only in certain distro - like Ubuntu. Indeed here is not permitted - Oracle Solaris? - https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-0403/sysrescron-23/index.html E. deals with /etc/crond.conf that doesn't exist (in Ubuntu for sure) and doesn't appear in any crontab MAN C. and D. are frankly pure crap
upvoted 2 times
dragonsoul
1 year, 4 months ago
just tested on centos 7
upvoted 2 times
Maxfr
1 year, 5 months ago
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-0403/sysrescron-23/index.html
upvoted 2 times
pstree
1 year, 8 months ago
"If neither cron.allow nor cron.deny exists, superuser privileges are required to run the crontab command." https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-0403/sysrescron-23/index.html
upvoted 2 times
TITI
1 year, 8 months ago
The answer is B
upvoted 1 times
RoyRoyRoyRoy
1 year, 9 months ago
Answer is B, tested on Rocky 8.4 When /etc/cron.deny is missing, other users cannot use crontab
upvoted 1 times
MaikyCR28
1 year, 10 months ago
This question is badly planned. I've already tested by deleting the two files (/etc/cron.allow and /etc/cron.deny). After that, I tested with different users and the OS allowed them to create crontabs. So, based on my test I could say the right answer is A. But also, I can see that other guys have tested and they have obtained different results. So, according to this last point, I think it depends on which distro you're using. Each time I feel more uncomfortable with this certification exams which bring to us badly planned questions, and this open the possibilities to fail the exam.
upvoted 3 times
MaikyCR28
1 year, 10 months ago
I found this on the LPIC-1 book: "f /etc/cron.allow does not exist but /etc/cron.deny exists, only non-root users listed within this file cannot schedule cron jobs using the crontab command (in this case an empty /etc/cron.deny means that each user is allowed to schedule cron jobs with crontab). If neither of these files exist, the user’s access to cron job scheduling depends on the distribution used." Ref: https://learning.lpi.org/en/learning-materials/102-500/107/107.2/107.2_01/ Finally, it depends on the distro you're using. Can someone who took already the exam tell us if this question was listed?
upvoted 2 times
lucaverce
1 year, 11 months ago
Selected Answer: E
Answer E is correct. That's why, just read the MAN page: If the /etc/cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed (one user per line) therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /etc/cron.allow file does not exist but the /etc/cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /etc/cron.deny file in order to use this command. >>>> If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. <<<< If both files exist then /etc/cron.allow takes precedence. Which means that /etc/cron.deny is not considered and your user must be listed in /etc/cron.allow in order to be able to use the crontab.
upvoted 1 times
lucaverce
1 year, 10 months ago
Reading the LPIC-1 manual, it says: If neither of these files exist (cron.allow and cron.deny), the user’s access to cron job scheduling depends on the distribution used. So depending on the distribution, A or B are correct answers.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...