Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam MD-101 topic 2 question 64 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's MD-101
Question #: 64
Topic #: 2
[All MD-101 Questions]

HOTSPOT -
Your network contains an on-premises Active Directory domain named contoso.com that syncs to Azure Active Directory (Azure AD).
A user named User1 uses the domain-joined devices shown in the following table.

In the Azure Active Directory admin center, you assign a Windows 10 Enterprise E5 license to User1.
You need to identify what will occur when User1 next signs in to the devices.
What should you identify for each device? To answer, select the appropriate options in the answer area.
NOTE: Each correct selection is worth one point.
Hot Area:

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer:
Box 1: Will not upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise
Box 2: Will activate as Windows 10 Enterprise
Windows 10 Pro supports the Subscription Activation feature, enabling users to ג€step-upג€ from Windows 10 Pro or Windows 11 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise or
Windows 11 Enterprise, respectively, if they are subscribed to Windows 10/11 Enterprise E3 or E5.
With Windows 10, version 1903 and later, the Subscription Activation feature also supports the ability to step-up from Windows 10 Pro Education or Windows 11
Pro Education to the Enterprise grade editions for educational institutionsג€"Windows 10 Education or Windows 11 Education.
Reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-10-subscription-activation

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
lahey69
Highly Voted 2 years, 10 months ago
Device1 is Windows 8.1 - Will not upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise Device2 is Windows 10 Pro- Will activate as Windows 10 Enterprise
upvoted 68 times
moobdoob
2 years, 2 months ago
Agreed. Correct answer above.
upvoted 1 times
mikl
2 years, 3 months ago
Agree!
upvoted 1 times
AzureLearner01
1 year, 9 months ago
Agree, if you read the following article from Microsoft you can verify that no hybrid-joined device is needed for subscription activation. I think this is the most discussed point in the comments. So yes, even with on-Prem AD-Joined devices it will activate as Windows 10 Enterprise. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-10-subscription-activation Organizations that have an Enterprise agreement can also benefit from the new service, using traditional Active Directory-joined devices. In this scenario, the Active Directory user that signs in on their device must be synchronized with Azure AD using Azure AD Connect Sync.
upvoted 3 times
Pleebb
Highly Voted 2 years, 9 months ago
Device 1: does not upgrade Device 2: Will activate as Windows 10 Enterprise because AD is on "Hybrid joined" to Azure. Devices will automatically join Azure AD and will be labelled as "Hybrid joined" devices. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-enterprise-licenses https://www.orbid365.be/hybrid-azure-ad-join-p1/
upvoted 14 times
Amir1909
Most Recent 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Correct
upvoted 1 times
jonny_sins
1 year, 1 month ago
Overthinking this question - tested this in my lab and the provided answers are correct.
upvoted 1 times
Rob69420
1 year, 8 months ago
This link shows tables which indicate you CAN UPGRADE BOTH IN PLACE and KEEP THE SETTINGS, FILES, ETC..... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-paths
upvoted 1 times
jcgm1990
1 year, 8 months ago
Can moderators please speak to whoever provided these answers and tell him to retake the exam as I am pretty sure whoever provided these answer did no pass if they used the answers provided here
upvoted 4 times
b3arb0yb1m
2 years, 3 months ago
Subscription Activation for Windows 10/11 Enterprise Windows 10/11 Enterprise E3 and Windows 10/11 Enterprise E5 are available as online services via subscription. Deploying Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 11 Enterprise in your organization can now be accomplished with no keys and no reboots. If you are running Windows 10, version 1703 or later: Devices with a current Windows 10 Pro license or Windows 11 Pro license can be seamlessly upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 11 Enterprise, respectively. Product key-based Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 11 Enterprise software licenses can be transitioned to Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 11 Enterprise subscriptions. Organizations that have an Enterprise agreement can also benefit from the new service, using traditional Active Directory-joined devices. In this scenario, the Active Directory user that signs in on their device must be synchronized with Azure AD using Azure AD Connect Sync.
upvoted 4 times
[Removed]
2 years, 5 months ago
To much Comments on different answers here... I'll give here my two cents after reading all the comments. As most of the time if you miss one word from the sentence you can interpreter the answer however you want... Device1 - for sure "Will not upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise" Device2 - here's where most depates are currently is... I state several facts: "on-premises Active Directory domain named contoso.com that syncs to Azure Active Directory (Azure AD)" - so User1 will be synced to AAD for sure - everyone agrees here. "A user named User1 uses the domain-joined devices shown in the following table" - Please note "DOMAIN-JOINED" phrase (NOT Azure Joined, NOT Azure Registered, NOT Hybrid Azure AD Joined as someone assumed and mentioned = DOMAIN-JOINED). We, of course, could assume that AD Connect is configured to SYNC AD devices to Azure, but we can also assume it is not. Based on my last two sentences I'm sticking with: Device2 - "Will not upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise" As always - do your own research with all the questions/answers and stick to the answer you think fits the best. Good luck with the exam.
upvoted 3 times
ken2ut
1 year, 10 months ago
You said "We, of course, could assume that AD Connect is configured to SYNC AD devices to Azure, but we can also assume it is not.". THERE IS NOTHING TO ASSUME. The scenario clearly states "...sync to Azure Active Directory (Azure AD)." Therefore AD Connect is configured. Device2 - "Will activate as Windows 10 Enterprise"
upvoted 2 times
BMAN101
2 years, 6 months ago
this is the reason i read the comments, im sure this answer was entered wrong on purpose
upvoted 1 times
BAbdalla
2 years, 6 months ago
Reversed as responses. Device1 which is a Windows 8.1, will not upgrade to Windows 10. Device2, Windows 10 Pro, will upgrade to Windows Enterprise version (depending on W10Pro build). I tested it in Lab and it worked using a 21H2.
upvoted 8 times
RodrigoT
2 years ago
That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the lab.
upvoted 4 times
RodrigoT
1 year, 11 months ago
But device2 will actually just ACTIVATE as Enterprise. For example I had a Windows 10 Home, bought a Pro license, applied it and it just activated as 10 Pro. Of course I've got more features but there was not any visible "upgrade".
upvoted 3 times
Alfred666
2 years, 7 months ago
Now i think both devices won't upgrade. When the network syncs to AAD this is for user accounts and has nothing to do with devices.
upvoted 1 times
Mujja
2 years, 9 months ago
I have -W10 Ent Domain-Joined device, it doesn't activate -W10 Ent Hybrid-Joined device, it activates The question doesn't say the device is Hybrid-joined, so I would say it doesn't activate.
upvoted 1 times
ercluff
2 years, 8 months ago
The given information states: "Your network contains an on-premises Active Directory domain named contoso.com that syncs to Azure Active Directory (Azure AD)." That is a Hybrid AD Domain.
upvoted 3 times
Tomtom11
2 years, 9 months ago
Subscription Activation Windows 10 Subscription Activation allows you to automati- cally upgrade devices with Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise without needing to enter a product key or perform a restart.
upvoted 1 times
Tomtom11
2 years, 9 months ago
If you are running Windows 10, version 1703 or later: Devices with a current Windows 10 Pro license can be seamlessly upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise. Product key-based Windows 10 Enterprise software licenses can be transitioned to Windows 10 Enterprise subscriptions.
upvoted 1 times
egdeeptha
2 years, 9 months ago
Both Devices are Joined to On-Prem AD., not to AzureAD. For subscription activation to work, a device has to be joined to Azure AD. And I do not think Windows 8.1 machine will get 10 Enperprse automatically when a user logs in even if it was azure AD joined. So answers are Will not upgrade to windows 10 enterprise.
upvoted 1 times
S4L4LMF
2 years, 9 months ago
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2017/01/19/new-windows-10-upgrade-benefits-windows-cloud-subscriptions-csp/ Windows 8.1 will be upgraded to 10 enterprise only if this is explicitly done by an admin in the azure portal. This isnt stated, so user one wont see any upgrade taking place. on Device 2 im not sure, is synced the same as Azure AD joined? It will also depend if the windows 10 deployment is 1703 or above. Since its synced, im taking it is also a hybrid environment (which is NOT stated), which would mean it will automatically upgrade to 10 enterprise. If Synced = azure hybrid AD joined, then the device will upgrade (automatically) to windows 10: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-10-subscription-activation "Devices must be Azure AD-joined or Hybrid Azure AD joined. Workgroup-joined or Azure AD registered devices are not supported."
upvoted 2 times
Perycles
2 years, 9 months ago
Device 1 : no effect - "Modern Subscrition activation" only applied on Win 10 PRO, ENT, EDU. device 2 : activate to Win10 ENT : "Modern Subscrition activation" is supported on both Azure AD join and Azure AD hybride Join Devices.
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...