Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam PCNSE topic 1 question 78 discussion

Actual exam question from Palo Alto Networks's PCNSE
Question #: 78
Topic #: 1
[All PCNSE Questions]

When is the content inspection performed in the packet flow process?

• A. after the application has been identified
  • B. before session lookup
  • C. before the packet forwarding process
  • D. after the SSL Proxy re-encrypts the packet
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️
Reference:
https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Learning-Articles/Packet-Flow-Sequence-in-PAN-OS/ta-p/56081

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
shamhala1228
Highly Voted 3 years, 8 months ago
I'm thinking C. Here's my train of thought, let me know what you think. B and D are certainly not right. A and C could be both technically true, but which is more accurate? A indicates that "after app has been identified", so we can interpret that in the Flow Diagram as the step in App-ID which says "Pattern based application identification" however, considering the Packet Flow Sequence, after the app is identified, there are still several steps that don't lead directly to Content ID. First it checks for policy matches that will allow it (so it might still get dropped). Then it will check if there are any Security Profiles (ContentID) that will be applicable. QoS and SSL Decryption also might occur at this point. My point is there's a whole bunch of stuff still going on between the "app being identified" and content inspection. My conclusion is that whenever content inspection is performed it's always before packet forwarding. And it is not always the case that it happens immediatly after the app has been identified.
upvoted 19 times
trashboat
2 years, 11 months ago
Content inspection isn't always done (e.g. Application Override), but if it is then it either returns 'detection' and security policy is referenced again or 'no detection' and then traffic is re-encrypted (if SSL decrypted), and THEN the packet is forwarded. So since C isn't always true, I feel like A is the correct answer. I can definitely see how a similar argument can be made for C though, so I agree that both are almost equally correct.
upvoted 3 times
ochc
3 years, 5 months ago
agree. besides, if app is not identified, when it arrives to content inspection it just will not be inspected. so since apps are NOT always identified A cant be. however, both App ID and Content ID ALWAYS happen before packet forwarding process
upvoted 2 times
Acidscars
Highly Voted 3 years, 2 months ago
I feel like this question could be simply asked as "When do you learn to read?" A: After you are done being a toddler C: Sometime before you die of old age Technically both are correct. Seriously Palo? Are we supposed to play the choose the more correct answer game? C feels like the broader safer answer. If the Application is Incomplete or Insufficient Data and can't be identified, that doesn't stop Palo from attempting content inspection so it would make A questionable.
upvoted 17 times
aurang
Most Recent 1 month, 3 weeks ago
A. after the application has been identified Content inspection is typically performed after the application has been identified in the packet flow process of many firewall systems, including Palo Alto Networks firewalls. This allows for the content of the packets to be inspected for threats and policy violations based on the identified application.
upvoted 1 times
franko_72
2 months, 3 weeks ago
My two cents. It's C. Scroll down to section 6, Content Inspection, happens right before Forwarding/Egress. https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClVHCA0
upvoted 1 times
ms997
3 months, 3 weeks ago
Answer: A
upvoted 1 times
gc999
5 months ago
Selected Answer: A
Can find the answer here, which is the same as Question 65. https://live.paloaltonetworks.com//t5/image/serverpage/image-id/12862i950F549C7D4E6309
upvoted 2 times
Micutzu
6 months, 1 week ago
The content inspection is performed ONLY if application is identified. If it's an unknown app then the content inspection doesn't happen but the packet it's forwarded, if the security policy allow.
upvoted 3 times
Betty2022
8 months, 3 weeks ago
Agree A: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClVHCA0 SECTION 5: APPLICATION IDENTIFICATION (APP - ID) SECTION 6: CONTENT INSPECTION SECTION 7: FORWARDING/EGRESS
upvoted 4 times
Frightened_Acrobat
9 months ago
Selected Answer: C
I'm going to have to go with option C here. A and D both are technically correct. However, A and D are both not neccessary steps in the process. C is a neccessary step. This is one of those "which is the better answer" scenarios.
upvoted 1 times
ChiaPet75
9 months, 3 weeks ago
Outside of this flow diagram I couldn't find anything concrete in any docs. Based on the flow diagram you can see there is a question "Session App Identified?", if the answer is "No" then it is sent to the App-ID process before being sent back to the FW Fastpath process. If Content Inspection is applicable then the packet is sent onward to that process.https://live.paloaltonetworks.com//t5/image/serverpage/image-id/12862i950F549C7D4E6309
upvoted 1 times
Techn
10 months, 1 week ago
A is correct "The firewall first performs an application-override policy lookup to see if there is a rule match. If there is, the application is known and content inspection is skipped for this session . If there is no application-override rule, then application signatures are used to identify the application. The firewall uses protocol decoding in the content inspection stage to determine if an application changes from one application to another ."
upvoted 2 times
Betty2022
8 months, 3 weeks ago
Agree A: https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClVHCA0 SECTION 5: APPLICATION IDENTIFICATION (APP - ID) SECTION 6: CONTENT INSPECTION SECTION 7: FORWARDING/EGRESS
upvoted 1 times
liericky88
11 months, 2 weeks ago
A. could be correct if the wording is "after identifying application" but it's not necessarily have to be successfully identified. C. is more likely.
upvoted 1 times
bo2la
1 year ago
after app identification there is a return to the previous step before content inspection, recheck the diagram
upvoted 1 times
PaloSteve
9 months, 2 weeks ago
So this analysis makes both A and C right. Content inspection happens "after the application has been identified" but "before the packet forwarding process". LOL.
upvoted 1 times
Pallab_Kundu
1 year, 1 month ago
C is correct
upvoted 1 times
hdrnzienlaoroljol
1 year, 2 months ago
C for me
upvoted 1 times
yazid0016
1 year, 2 months ago
After Application Identific : answer A
upvoted 1 times
mohr22
1 year, 2 months ago
A is answer . If session app-id identified then content inspection happens else not .
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...