Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam NCLEX-RN topic 3 question 39 discussion

Actual exam question from Test Prep's NCLEX-RN
Question #: 39
Topic #: 3
[All NCLEX-RN Questions]

A 17-year-old client has a T-4 spinal cord injury. At present, he is learning to catheterize himself. When he says, "This is too much trouble. I would rather just have a Foley. An appropriate response for the RN teaching him would be:

• A. "I know. It is a lot to learn. In the long run, though, you will be able to reduce infections if you do an intermittent catheterization program.’’
  • B. "It is not too much trouble. This is the best way to manage urination.’’
  • C. "OK. I’ll ask your physician if we can replace the Foley.’’
  • D. "You need to learn this because your doctor ordered it.’’ A
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: Explanation 🗳️
(A) This response acknowledges the clients feelings, gives him factual information, and acknowledges that the final decision is his. (B) This response is judgmental and discourages the client from expressing his feelings about the procedure. (C) Catheterization is a procedure thattakes time to learn, but which, for the spinal cordinjured client, can significantly reduce the incidence of urinary tract infections. A young client with a T-4 injury has the hand function to learn this procedure fairly easily. (D) The final decision about bladder elimination management ultimately rests with the client and not the physician.

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
zara2021
2 years, 1 month ago
Selected Answer: A
A IS MORE THERAPEUTIC
upvoted 1 times
zara2021
2 years, 1 month ago
ANSWER A IS MORE THERAPEUTIC
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...