Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam 2V0-21.20 topic 1 question 30 discussion

Actual exam question from VMware's 2V0-21.20
Question #: 30
Topic #: 1
[All 2V0-21.20 Questions]

A vSphere environment is configured with 1 Gigabit Ethernet for vSphere vMotion. The application team is complaining that when they try to migrate a powered-on virtual machine, the progress is slow and unsuccessful the majority of the time.
Which two recommendations should the administrator make to improve vSphere vMotion performance? (Choose two.)

• A. Use at least two port groups.
  • B. Use vSphere Storage I/O Control (SIOC).
  • C. Use 10 Gigabit Ethernet or above.
  • D. Use Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) on the port group.
  • E. Disable vSphere Fault Tolerance.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: CE 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
foreverlearner
Highly Voted 3 years, 2 months ago
A. Yes. Two port groups (read: two vmkernel) creates two vMotion streams, improving performance by spreading the load on two cores. It wouldn't help massively, but it would still improve performance, as asked [https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2019/09/how-to-tune-vmotion-for-lower-migration-times.html, https://4sysops.com/archives/improving-vmware-vmotion-speed/]. B. No. SIOC doesn't impact standard vMotion C. Yes. The faster the link, the faster the migration. D. No. LACP is only available on dVS, which are not mentioned. Furthermore, "You configure a LAG with two or more ports and connect physical NICs to the ports" [https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-0D1EF5B4-7581-480B-B99D-5714B42CD7A9.html] The question states that there is only one physical NIC, thus there's nothing to aggregate. This could have been a valid answer only if the question stated 2 or more physical NICs. E. No. FT should have its own (possibly 10Gbps+) link. FT could potentially impact vMotion if they are all sharing the same 1Gbps link, but there's no mention of FT being in use in the question.
upvoted 43 times
abo2020
3 years, 2 months ago
Totally Agree, Answer should be A and C
upvoted 3 times
BeatnikPA
2 years, 10 months ago
Port groups and vmkernel ports are not the same. But you are right if the answer is to use two vmkernel ports.Tricku question.
upvoted 5 times
eVINg
1 year, 1 month ago
Since nothing is mentioned about FT, we can assume both FT and vMotion enabled from same port. And if it's not a heavy using VM, then a 1GBit/S connection would be sufficient. And also since you mentioned assigning 2 port groups for vMotion wouldn't help massively, I think disabling FT would do. So C and E are my opinion. (Best method would be to assign seperate ports for FT and vMotion with 10Gigs each :)
upvoted 1 times
LookingUp
Highly Voted 3 years, 4 months ago
C & D. The number of port groups has nothing to do with performance of vMotion.
upvoted 23 times
matveyrv
3 years, 4 months ago
You totaly wrong. You can use separate portgroups for vmotion to use both hosts NIC. KB is below https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2007467 So I suppose we should choose A and D because host already equipped with 1G NICs
upvoted 6 times
matveyrv
3 years, 4 months ago
I was wrong. A and C are correct
upvoted 5 times
srichard
3 years, 3 months ago
The A i wrong. the vmotion always use one link in standard vswitch, even if you have 2 uplinks, only one is used. you must use LACP for that, or a 10GB NIC.
upvoted 2 times
mariogg85
2 years, 7 months ago
2 portgroup to use multi nic vmotion. I think that the correct answers are A and C. You cannot use LACP to vMotion Traffic
upvoted 1 times
markey164
Most Recent 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Selected Answer: AC
A and C are correct. Obviously everyone agrees with C (use 10Gbps). For the 2nd answer, have a read of this article, which explains why and how using multiple port groups improves vMotion performance - https://www.stephenwagner.com/2022/06/19/optimizing-vmware-vmotion
upvoted 2 times
Cunawaro
8 months ago
Are best practices on field deplyments
upvoted 2 times
ashibu21
8 months, 1 week ago
A&C are the correct answers to this
upvoted 2 times
Dhelailla
10 months ago
Correct Answer: A&C https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2019/09/how-to-tune-vmotion-for-lower-migration-times.html
upvoted 1 times
cracit
10 months, 1 week ago
A and C
upvoted 1 times
Alan_sysadmin
10 months, 2 weeks ago
The two recommendations the administrator should make to improve vSphere vMotion performance are: Use 10 Gigabit Ethernet or above: Upgrading the network infrastructure to use 10 Gigabit Ethernet or higher can significantly improve vSphere vMotion performance. The increased network bandwidth allows for faster data transfer during the migration process. Use at least two port groups: Using multiple port groups and distributing the vMotion traffic across them can help optimize the network utilization and improve vSphere vMotion performance. This allows for parallel processing and load balancing during the migration process. The other options mentioned (B, D, and E) are not directly related to improving vSphere vMotion performance and may not address the specific issue of slow and unsuccessful migrations. Option B (vSphere Storage I/O Control) is related to storage performance, while options D (LACP) and E (Disable vSphere Fault Tolerance) are not directly related to network performance.
upvoted 1 times
katbeh
10 months, 2 weeks ago
A, C. got 500 today 5-13-23
upvoted 3 times
LES_LES1
11 months, 1 week ago
What is the correct answer?
upvoted 2 times
Lusciernaga
11 months, 1 week ago
You can have vmotion on 2 portgroup
upvoted 1 times
SeriousBlack
11 months, 3 weeks ago
CE. Look at this for FT and 1Gb https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/Fault-Tolerance-slow-network-performance/td-p/1770122
upvoted 1 times
antoniow
1 year ago
passed with full score
upvoted 2 times
sandua
1 year ago
In order to use FT U NEED 10Gbps interfaces , so A and C are correct
upvoted 1 times
chaospikes
1 year ago
AC Correct - Passed 500/500 today 1-Mar-23
upvoted 4 times
JuanRGG
1 year ago
no errors ?!? OMG
upvoted 1 times
eVINg
1 year, 1 month ago
Selected Answer: CE
According to the answers provided C is definitely correct. A and E are in doubt. The question doesn't mention anything about FT. I feel using 2 port groups for vMotion wouldn't have much of an effect on the migrating speed. But since nothing is mentioned about FT, I can assume that FT is also allowed in the same port as vMotion. So disabling FT would have a greater impact on the speed of vMotion. If the question mentions a separate port is used for FT, then we can conclude A and C are correct. But in this case I feel C and E are correct.
upvoted 3 times
eVINg
1 year, 1 month ago
Also I saw some have mentioned 10Gig link needed for FT. But I have tried with 1Gig and it worked.
upvoted 1 times
MohamedZohair
1 year, 1 month ago
AC is Correct
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...