Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam CS0-003 topic 1 question 5 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's CS0-003
Question #: 5
Topic #: 1
[All CS0-003 Questions]

The Chief Executive Officer of an organization recently heard that exploitation of new attacks in the industry was happening approximately 45 days after a patch was released. Which of the following would best protect this organization?

• A. A mean time to remediate of 30 days
  • B. A mean time to detect of 45 days
  • C. A mean time to respond of 15 days
  • D. Third-party application testing
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
ha33yp0tt3r69
Highly Voted 4 months ago
Selected Answer: A
I think they trying to trick you... I am looking at the key words Response vs Remediation. Response - Incident response activities include detection, analysis, containment, eradication, recovery, communication, and documentation. Remediation - Remediation activities include applying patches, fixing misconfigurations, updating security policies, improving access controls, and implementing other corrective measures.
upvoted 8 times
muvisan
Highly Voted 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Not sure if A or C. I'm leaning more to A. The term 'mean time to remediate' is a definition - at least in comptia study guide! It is used in the IR metrics chapter. So we have it in this order: mean time to detect mean time to respond mean time to remediate I would say "mean time to respond" does not include patching, but in it is in the "mean time to remediate", so that is why I choose A.
upvoted 5 times
Arunxr
Most Recent 1 week, 5 days ago
I think the more viable answer is Mean Time to Remediate. Remediation incorporates the response and determines the average time it is resolved by. Response does not determine when the issue is remediated, simple that it is being responded to. Since Remediation incorporates response and is below the 45 day window of exploitations this seems like the best answer that takes away all guesswork.
upvoted 1 times
BanesTech
2 weeks ago
A mean time to remediate of 30 days implies that the organization aims to remediate vulnerabilities within 30 days of their discovery. Since exploitation of new attacks tends to occur approximately 45 days after a patch is released, aiming for a mean time to remediate of 30 days ensures that vulnerabilities are patched before attackers have the opportunity to exploit them.
upvoted 2 times
carletten
1 month ago
A is correct. MTTR involves the entire process, detection is only part .
upvoted 1 times
bolinhtinh
2 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: C
C is correct. When you have a response policy that requires a review at least every 15 days, it will help the company recognize all newly patched exploitations within that timeframe, as a mean time to respond (MTTR) of 15 days is required. When you discover a risk, your team will fix it right away with just a click of a button to update the patch released 15 days ago. The goal is to find out about it ASAP. It is nonsensical to compare mean time to remediate or respond in this context. Are you going to sit there after you have responded to it and watch because no-one told you to remediate it, or act honorably, honestly, justly, and responsibly by fixing the issue as soon as possible with your professional responsibility?
upvoted 1 times
B3hindCl0sedD00rs
2 months, 2 weeks ago
Guys this is C 100%, this question is eluding to the fact that the company are taking too long to patch vulnerable systems. A mean time to respond of 15 days is much better & faster than a mean time to remediate of 30 days.
upvoted 1 times
sujon_london
3 months ago
Mean time to respond of 15 days Faster reaction to threats Somewhat relevant - but patching speed remains crucial. Therefore answer should be A
upvoted 1 times
RobV
4 months, 3 weeks ago
What is MTTR - Mean Time to Respond/Remediate? MTTR is the amount of time it takes an organization to neutralize an identified threat or failure within their network environment. Threat remediation is the process organizations use to identify and resolve threats to their network environment.
upvoted 1 times
RobV
4 months, 3 weeks ago
To best protect the organization from exploitation of new attacks, it's important to reduce the time between the release of patches and their implementation within the organization. This is known as the "time to remediate" or "mean time to remediate" (MTTR). Therefore, the option that aligns with this objective is: A. A mean time to remediate of 30 days A shorter mean time to remediate ensures that patches are applied more quickly, reducing the window of vulnerability and the likelihood of exploitation. Options B and C, with longer timeframes, would increase the organization's exposure to potential attacks. Third-party application testing (option D) is important but is not directly addressing the time it takes to apply patches after they are released.
upvoted 3 times
Narobi
4 months, 3 weeks ago
Scored around 820. Went with A
upvoted 3 times
greatsparta
5 months, 3 weeks ago
Mean time to respond refers to the average time it takes an organization to respond to a security incident after it has been detected. A shorter mean time to respond is generally associated with more effective incident response and containment.
upvoted 1 times
BigBear
7 months, 1 week ago
It is A. There is no such phrase in security as 'mean time to remediate'. MTTR = mean time to respond, and it includes remediation implicitly.
upvoted 2 times
Tdarling77
1 month ago
There is such a phrase in Security as "mean Time to Remediate". Look it up!
upvoted 1 times
kmordalv
6 months, 3 weeks ago
For this very reason. If there is no "mean time to remediate", the correct answer is C.
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
7 months, 3 weeks ago
Key statement is "would best protect this organization" So the earlier a vulnerability is detected the better.
upvoted 2 times
deeden
6 months, 2 weeks ago
Agree on C. You can't fix something you don't know is broken. It also make sense to have 30 days SLA to remediate critical vulnerability in most production - after it's detected.
upvoted 1 times
Jhonys
7 months, 3 weeks ago
In summary, the correct answer is "30 days average time to remediate" because it focuses on the time frame for effective application of fixes and patches, which is critical to cybersecurity, rather than just the initial response to an alert. This helps ensure that vulnerabilities are patched in a timely manner and reduces exposure to security risks.
upvoted 4 times
kmordalv
6 months, 3 weeks ago
"mean time to remediate" not exist... The correct answer is C.
upvoted 1 times
Jhonys
5 months, 2 weeks ago
Passed my exam. 90% were on here and I chose my answers. If you want to pass. Follow my name. I went through ALL the Questions once and I was good.
upvoted 5 times
nmap_king_22
8 months ago
C. A mean time to respond of 15 days Explanation: A "mean time to respond" (MTTR) metric measures the average amount of time it takes for an organization to respond to and address security incidents, including applying patches. In this scenario, a mean time to respond of 15 days indicates that the organization is capable of responding to new vulnerabilities and applying patches within a relatively short timeframe.
upvoted 1 times
581777a
8 months, 3 weeks ago
I was also questioning this. ChatGPT says "The correct answer is C. A mean time to respond of 15 days. The scenario described indicates that attackers are exploiting vulnerabilities approximately 45 days after a patch is released. This suggests that organizations are taking too long to respond to and apply patches, leaving a window of opportunity for attackers to exploit those vulnerabilities. A "mean time to respond" (MTTR) of 15 days would be the most effective in reducing the risk of exploitation. MTTR refers to the average time it takes an organization to respond to and mitigate a security incident or vulnerability once it has been detected. By responding within 15 days, the organization would be able to address vulnerabilities and apply patches more quickly, reducing the likelihood of exploitation."
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...