Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-601 topic 1 question 645 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-601
Question #: 645
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-601 Questions]

After entering a username and password, an administrator must draw a gesture on a touch screen. Which of the following demonstrates what the administrator is providing?

• A. Multifactor authentication
  • B. Something you can do
  • C. Biometrics
  • D. Two-factor authentication
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
ComPCertOn
Highly Voted 6 months, 1 week ago
The Q is stupid, StumTIA type
upvoted 20 times
LeonardSnart
Highly Voted 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Selected Answer: B
The something you can do authentication factor refers to actions you can take such as gestures on a touch screen. As an example, Microsoft Windows 10 supports picture passwords. Users first select a picture, and then they can add three gestures as their picture password. Gestures include tapping in specific places on the picture, drawing lines between items with a finger, or drawing a circle around an item such as someone’s head. After registering the picture and their gestures, users repeat these gestures to log on again later. -Security+ SY0-601 Get Certified Get Ahead by Darril Gibson
upvoted 8 times
SecNoob27639
Most Recent 1 week, 5 days ago
This is why I hate CompTIA questions. But, knowing that, it's always a case of "pick the best/most correct answer" not pick the correct answer from a list that contains only 1 correct answer.
upvoted 1 times
shady23
2 weeks, 2 days ago
B. Something you can do
upvoted 1 times
Geronemo
3 weeks, 2 days ago
The action of drawing a gesture on a touch screen after entering a username and password demonstrates: B. Something you can do. In multifactor authentication (option A), the user provides two or more different authentication factors to verify their identity. Biometrics (option C) involves using physiological or behavioral characteristics, such as fingerprints or voice recognition, for authentication. Two-factor authentication (option D) typically involves using two different types of authentication factors, such as a password and a one-time code sent to a mobile device. However, in the scenario described, the action of drawing a gesture on a touch screen is not an additional authentication factor like biometrics or a one-time code. Instead, it is an action or behavior that the user can perform, similar to entering a password. Therefore, the correct answer is option B: Something you can do.
upvoted 2 times
russian
3 weeks, 5 days ago
toddler question tbh
upvoted 1 times
_deleteme_
1 month, 1 week ago
In the new 701 Training Guide from Dion Training - MFA now has "something you do" - Its B
upvoted 2 times
slapster
2 months, 4 weeks ago
I am quite perplexed by this question and answer choices because username/password combos and swipe patterns are BOTH something you know. MFA, 2FA, and biometrics would then be eliminated as options. Furthermore, "something you do" is mentioned by CompTIA, however it is described in conjunction with something you are (see excerpt below). Therefore, I am not inclined to pick any of the answers listed. God forbid this is on any of our exams, but if I had to choose, I guess I'd go with C? "Something You Are/Do Authentication A biometric factor uses either physiological identifiers, such as a fingerprint, or behavioral identifiers, such as the way someone moves (gait). The identifiers are scanned and recorded as a template. When the user authenticates, another scan is taken and compared to the template."
upvoted 1 times
slapster
2 months, 4 weeks ago
I meant I guess I'd go with B*** not C. "Something you do" seems like the best of the worst since its the most ill-defined
upvoted 1 times
cannon
3 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: A
Gents I believe you're over thinking this. It's clearly multifactor authentication, you're just arguing about the details. ChatGPT says it to.
upvoted 3 times
[Removed]
3 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: D
The main difference between 2FA and MFA is that 2FA requires you to use one authentication method in addition to your username and password, whereas MFA requires one or more additional authentication methods to your username and password.
upvoted 1 times
maggie22
4 months ago
draw a gesture on a touch screen. This is sounds familiar, after entering a username and a password, another factor is required. In this case is the Pattern you draw on a touch screen.
upvoted 1 times
maggie22
4 months ago
I'll take back my answer. D is not in the objective. I'll go with B.
upvoted 2 times
Peshokp
5 months, 3 weeks ago
"administrator must draw a gesture on a touch screen " - maybe the system is asking for proof that the administrator is human, not for logging authentication. For me is "something you can go"
upvoted 2 times
MortG7
3 months, 3 weeks ago
There is NO something you can do...don't fall for Comptia Bullsh*t Something you know - Like a password, or a memorized PIN. Something you have - Like a smartphone, or a secure USB key. Something you are - Like a fingerprint, or facial recognition.
upvoted 6 times
subaie503
2 months, 3 weeks ago
Those are the 3 factors of MFA, there are 4 attributes as well, check out this video. https://www.professormesser.com/security-plus/sy0-601/sy0-601-video/multi-factor-authentication-5/#:~:text=Those%20three%20factors%20are%20something,exhibit%2C%20and%20someone%20you%20know.
upvoted 2 times
konami007
6 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: A
The scenario described, where an administrator enters a username and password and then draws a gesture on a touch screen, demonstrates: A. Multifactor authentication Multifactor authentication (MFA) involves using multiple methods or factors to verify a user's identity. In this case, the factors include: Knowledge factor: Something the user knows (username and password). Inherence factor: Something the user has or is (drawing a gesture on a touch screen). Combining these factors enhances the security of the authentication process. If it were only a username and password, it would be considered two-factor authentication (2FA), but the addition of the gesture on the touch screen adds an extra layer, making it a form of multifactor authentication.
upvoted 5 times
DeKardinal
5 months, 1 week ago
Mind you password and a username are both something you know.
upvoted 1 times
ganymede
4 months ago
Username and password are one ONE factor (something you know). So username and password is 1FA. In order for it to be 2FA you'd need to add a different factor.
upvoted 1 times
LuckyAro
6 months, 2 weeks ago
2-factor authentication (2FA) is a security process in which a user provides two different authentication factors to verify their identity. In this scenario, the username and password represent one factor, while the gesture drawn on the touch screen serves as the second factor, making it a form of 2FA.
upvoted 2 times
damianUY
6 months, 3 weeks ago
This question is simply incorrect. Password: something you know Username: Something you know Pattern: Something you know The concept "something you can do" does not exist in any official literature. There are only three: "Something you know" "Something you are" "Something you have" Therefore, I assume it might be "something you can do," but again, THIS CONCEPT DOES NOT EXIST IN CYBERSECURITY. So, I don't know, as all the other answers are also incorrect.
upvoted 3 times
[Removed]
4 months ago
in the exam objectives it lists - Factors - Something you know - Something you have - Something you are - Attributes - Somewhere you are - Something you can do - Something you exhibit - Someone you know i was also confused because i didn't know that even existed
upvoted 3 times
fryderyk
6 months, 2 weeks ago
I fully agree this is a bad question. There seem to be two ways of understanding the gesture. If it's an good old school gesture, it is the same as password ("something you know"). In such a case the answer can't be 2FA/MFA (one being a special case of the other), since it's the same factor (knowledge) as password. Another option is a dynamic gesture (biometrics). There's a lot of research and articles about it. If that's the case, however, MFA, 2FA and biometrics are all correct (biometrics being the most specific). In either case it's not "something you can do". BTW, not all people can stand on their head. Would that be considered MFA?
upvoted 1 times
fryderyk
2 months ago
I concur, sth you can do is the right answer ;-)
upvoted 1 times
minx98
7 months, 3 weeks ago
the answer is D. Something you know and something you can do are the authentication methods being used here (password and drawing a gesture)
upvoted 2 times
Lost_Memo
7 months, 3 weeks ago
Both user and password + drawing a gesture are something the user knows and does not apply mfa or 2fa so its just something you can do.
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...