Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam PT0-001 topic 1 question 103 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's PT0-001
Question #: 103
Topic #: 1
[All PT0-001 Questions]

A penetration tester ran the following Nmap scan on a computer: nmap -aV 192.168.1.5
The organization said it had disabled Telnet from its environment. However, the results of the Nmap scan show port 22 as closed and port 23 as open to SSH.
Which of the following is the BEST explanation for what happened?

• A. The organization failed to disable Telnet.
  • B. Nmap results contain a false positive for port 23.
  • C. Port 22 was filtered.
  • D. The service is running on a non-standard port.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
versun
Highly Voted 2 years, 9 months ago
I choose D
upvoted 7 times
miabe
Most Recent 1 year, 9 months ago
Selected Answer: D
looks good to me
upvoted 1 times
Cock
2 years, 2 months ago
It was on the exam
upvoted 2 times
urisoft
2 years, 6 months ago
My2 cents. A or D = FACT Telnet is running. A would be the second best choice, B being BEST as providing the most detail. They are looking for the BEST explanation. I could be wrong and is Nmap throwing false positives :)
upvoted 1 times
urisoft
2 years, 6 months ago
meant D being BEST
upvoted 2 times
smalltech
2 years, 9 months ago
A.Answer: The organization did not disable Telnet Explanation: NMap is a network mapper tool used to discover the state of ports and the services on them. In this situation, port 22 is closed and port 23 is open to SSH which means that some application is running on that port. Telnet is a protocol that runs as a client-server application and typically used the TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) to establish a connection, it by default used port 23. Although the client has indicated that they've disabled Telnel but, the open port, 23 indicated that the Tenel services are running and the organization has not disabled Telnet. Other options cannot be true as: → Although the SSH service can run on other non-standard ports but, this range would be from port 1024 to 32767, hence port 23 cannot be in this range. → The NMap has stated that port 22 is closed, therefore port 22 cannot be filtered as if NMap is not able to get any response from a port it states it as filtered, and if a port is closed that means it is actually closed. Threfore, the port 22 cannot be filtered or port 23 as false positive.
upvoted 1 times
CapCrunch
2 years, 9 months ago
A, the company closed the wrong port why would they turn off SSH and not Telnet they might have missed clicked or miss typed. Also if they were to change ports for SSH to another port, changing it to port 23 wont accomplish anything meaning full.
upvoted 1 times
Bill_nye_russian_guy
2 years, 9 months ago
I think everyone is thinking way to hard on this, they give you the answer ( which is D.) Telnet is closed but SSH is open but on port 23... its running on a non standard port.
upvoted 4 times
dyers
2 years, 11 months ago
first -aV is not a valid parameter, I'm assuming it should be -sV that would identify service versions on each port. Given the results of port 23 seems to have SSH. The first 3 options don't explain the situation we're seeing in the results but if we change option 4 to be "SSH is running on a non-standard port" the question and answers make more sense.
upvoted 4 times
f66
3 years, 7 months ago
Perhaps the answer should actually be B: Nmap results contain a false positive for port 23? Personally I think it's a reach, but the fact the question is probing as to what the best explanation for Telnet not being disabled is, plus the fact port 23 is open to SSH rather than Telnet could lead to the explanation being that Telnet is actually disabled? Meaning that port 23 showing Telnet to be enabled is in fact a false positive? However, if Telnet is actually still enabled it could lead me to believe D to be the right answer, as it doesn't seem like it's currently running on port 23 (the question indicates SSH is using that port) which would mean the only logical conclusion must be Telnet running on some other non-standard port? Then there's also answer A which could by all means also be the answer CompTIA are looking for? This question has me beyond confused, not enough information provided to pick a clear answer..
upvoted 1 times
f66
3 years, 7 months ago
The question could even be asking for the explanation to port 23 being open to SSH rather than anything to do with Telnet? If this comes up I'll be going with D I think, seems the safest bet
upvoted 2 times
[Removed]
3 years, 8 months ago
The organization said it had disabled but it's not so A is the answer?
upvoted 1 times
runagerj
2 years, 6 months ago
You can disable telnet and still have port 23 open to SSH.
upvoted 2 times
kabwitte
3 years, 9 months ago
The question specifically asks about telnet. I believe that all the other information about port 22 (SSH) is irrelevant to the question. Seems like unnecessary rabbit holes to me. That being said, the organization thinks it disabled Telnet, but nmap says otherwise. Therefore, the organization failed to disable Telnet.
upvoted 3 times
frostb1te
3 years, 10 months ago
Technically it's not "Disabled" because it's responding to the nmap scan. "A closed port is accessible (it receives and responds to Nmap probe packets), but there is no application listening on it." -Nmap website
upvoted 1 times
ebot
3 years, 10 months ago
I agree it is running on an non standard port, however what is the correct answer in the eyes of sybex and comptia, even if they are incorrect? At the end of the day if the test deems A to be correct for the sake of the test the answer is A... Can anyone confirm that?
upvoted 1 times
D1960
3 years, 10 months ago
I doubt anybody can confirm that. CompTIA will never tell you what it considers to be the best answer.
upvoted 1 times
mr_robot
3 years, 10 months ago
Agree. It will be like a trial and error and hope to pass.
upvoted 4 times
mr_robot
4 years ago
Got this from SYBEX Book A. - Network Mapper (Nmap) is used to discover hosts and services on a computer network by sending packets and analyzing the responses. Nmap will identify what devices are running on a client’s systems, discover hosts and services that are available, find open ports, and detect security risks. In this scenario, the organization did not disable Telnet because port 23 is still open. Telnet is a client-server protocol, based on a reliable connection-oriented transport. Typically, this protocol is used to establish a connection to Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) by using port 23, where a Telnet server application (telnetd) is listening.
upvoted 2 times
D1960
3 years, 11 months ago
That explanation does not explain why the nmap scan shows port 22 as closed and port 23 as open to SSH. Be aware: you can reassign applications to alternative ports - it's done all the time. I can close port 80, and assign HTTP to port 8080. I am pretty sure that you can remove telnet, and assign SSH to port 23. That would explain why nmap shows SSH on port 23.
upvoted 3 times
mr_robot
3 years, 11 months ago
You are correct. Once again Sybex failed. Got some material off the Internet: “Running a service on a non-standard port doesn't really mean anything for security. It may reduce the amount of noise that a defender has to deal with in terms of automated scanning on the internet, where bots usually target common standard ports for vulnerabilities. Moving SSH from 22 to, for example, 55522 might reduce the number of drive-by brute-force attempts.” https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/185503/what-are-non-standard-ports-and-protocols “Please note that port numbers 0-1023 are reserved for various system services. Hence, I recommend choosing port numbers between 1024 and 65535.” https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-change-ssh-port-on-linux-or-unix-server/ In this example, you can probably assign Telnet to another port and assign SSH to port 23. There is also a good article about why putting SSH on another port than 22 is a bad idea. - https://adayinthelifeof.nl/2012/03/12/why-putting-ssh-on-another-port-than-22-is-bad-idea/
upvoted 3 times
likeahoss
2 years, 6 months ago
This was my logic as well. What's more likely? If an SA is going to put in the effort to move Telnet to a non-standard port, they'd know to use an obscure one that gets less attention. And if they're going to go through all that they're going to know better than to sign off keeping Telnet up. I'd go with they just forgot.
upvoted 1 times
likeahoss
2 years, 6 months ago
move SSH is what I meant. They'd know to put it on the higher port numbers.
upvoted 1 times
mr_robot
3 years, 10 months ago
There is no such switch as -aV from nmap (maybe a typo). You can either use -sV or -A to determine what is the status of this port and detect its version. The question does not say Telnet is setup on port 22 but even if it is and it's closed as mentioned, A is not correct because the company managed to disable Telnet in this case. If port 22 is closed it will not even appear in the scan result unless you use nmap -d -d to show closed ports and still it doesn't show which service is setup and it could be configured on any other port and still be open. So we cannot confirm "The organization failed to disable Telnet" but we can definitely confirm "The service is running on a non-standard port".
upvoted 2 times
D1960
4 years, 1 month ago
Maybe: D. The service is running on a non-standard port ? Can you remove Telnet and run SSH on port 23 ?
upvoted 3 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...