Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-601 topic 1 question 211 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-601
Question #: 211
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-601 Questions]

During an incident response process involving a laptop, a host was identified as the entry point for malware. The management team would like to have the laptop restored and given back to the user. The cybersecurity analyst would like to continue investigating the intrusion on the host. Which of the following would allow the analyst to continue the investigation and also return the laptop to the user as soon as possible?

• A. dd
  • B. memdump
  • C. tcpdump
  • D. head
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
stoneface
Highly Voted 1 year, 8 months ago
Going to the exam - Wish me LUCK!
upvoted 159 times
Examtop28
1 week, 6 days ago
Imagine he comes back and says he failed 8O
upvoted 1 times
Thanks_stoneface
1 year, 3 months ago
I thought you wrote the exam and were reviewing the questions for fun
upvoted 27 times
JH202020
1 year, 2 months ago
How did you go?
upvoted 1 times
k9_462
1 year, 8 months ago
let us know how it went.
upvoted 6 times
ahmadawni
Highly Voted 1 year, 8 months ago
good luck guys i have the exam after tomorrow i would really want to thank this community and tell you all that i love you and wish you the best luck :)
upvoted 34 times
Gino_Slim
1 year, 6 months ago
IO hope you did well my friend. This website doesn't allow reply notifications but we are wishing you well.
upvoted 9 times
bongisox
Most Recent 1 month, 1 week ago
dd stands for what
upvoted 1 times
LinkinTheStinkin
3 months ago
It’s DD. That will make a bit by copy of a hard drive memdump will capture the contents of RAM
upvoted 2 times
hyabasa
3 months, 1 week ago
It's DD. 100%
upvoted 2 times
dfc6822
3 months, 1 week ago
B. memdump A memdump (memory dump) allows the cybersecurity analyst to capture the contents of a computer's memory at a specific point in time. This is valuable for forensic analysis and investigating intrusions. By using a memory dump, the analyst can capture information about running processes, open network connections, and potentially identify the presence of malware.
upvoted 1 times
ganymede
5 months, 2 weeks ago
Selected Answer: B
B. Memdump --- memdump satisfies the " as soon as possible" requirement better than dd does. dd may take a long time. memdump is very fast. so memdump is the clear winner on this point. --- It is likely that memdump will provide more useful information relevant to a malware incident investigation compared to dd. I have done some research on memdump compared to dd. Based on my research memdump provides more useful information when you are performing an incident investigation involving malware getting onto a machine compared to the information acquired from dd. memdump will provide information on the data in RAM (dd will not). memdump will provide information on running processes (dd will not). When it comes to investigating malware my research is saying that the information collected from memdump will likely be more useful compared to the information collected from dd.
upvoted 1 times
Soleandheel
6 months, 1 week ago
B. Memdump is the correct answer.
upvoted 2 times
Yarzo
6 months, 3 weeks ago
To allow the cybersecurity analyst to continue the investigation while also returning the laptop to the user as soon as possible, the best option would be: B. memdump A memory dump (memdump) allows the analyst to capture and analyze the memory of the laptop without taking it out of service. This means the laptop can continue to be used by the user while the analyst investigates the intrusion. Memory analysis can provide valuable insights into the malware's activities and potential indicators of compromise. It's a non-intrusive way to gather information from the system without disrupting its operation.
upvoted 2 times
LeeBeeDee
6 months, 2 weeks ago
I agree with you, but we will never know the true answer.
upvoted 1 times
above
7 months ago
https://www.techtarget.com/whatis/definition/memory-dump
upvoted 1 times
HCM1985
8 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: A
In a real life scenario maybe I would do both dd AND memdump but since we must select just one, and we're talking about a malware that probably installed something on the hard drive, I would go for dd.
upvoted 2 times
ApplebeesWaiter1122
9 months, 2 weeks ago
"dd" is a valid option for creating a disk image of the laptop's hard drive, including both the active files and any unallocated space. This would allow the cybersecurity analyst to continue the investigation while also returning the laptop to the user as soon as possible. "dd" is a command-line utility commonly used for data backup and disk cloning. It can be used to create a bit-for-bit copy of the laptop's hard drive, which can be analyzed offline to investigate the intrusion further. Additionally, "dd" can create a forensic disk image that preserves the original data while maintaining the integrity of the evidence.
upvoted 11 times
user1234493
1 year ago
dd is a command-line utility used to convert and copy files memdump, also known as a memory dump, is a process of copying the contents of the computer's physical memory (RAM) to a file. The questions states itself. I would go with B.
upvoted 3 times
RevolutionaryAct
8 months ago
except it would be memory only not the entire drive. dd isn't perfect but it captures more options.
upvoted 1 times
Fisv
1 year ago
Selected Answer: C
laptop....tcpdump
upvoted 1 times
fouserd
1 year, 1 month ago
The best option for the cybersecurity analyst to continue the investigation and also return the laptop to the user as soon as possible would be memdump. A memory dump is a snapshot of the contents of a computer’s memory at a given time. This can be useful for forensic analysis because it allows investigators to examine the state of the system at the time of an incident. By creating a memory dump of the host, the analyst can continue investigating the intrusion while also restoring the laptop and returning it to the user.
upvoted 2 times
ronniehaang
1 year, 3 months ago
A. dd The analyst should create a disk image of the laptop using the "dd" utility to preserve the state of the host and be able to continue their investigation. This process involves creating an exact binary copy of the hard drive, including all data, partitions, and file systems. The analyst can then restore the laptop to its original state by writing the image back to the hard drive. The disk image can be analyzed in a safe and isolated environment to determine the cause of the intrusion and prevent future attacks.
upvoted 5 times
FMMIR
1 year, 4 months ago
The analyst can use dd to continue the investigation and also return the laptop to the user as soon as possible. dd is a command-line utility that is used to create a disk image of a storage device. By creating a disk image of the laptop using dd, the analyst can preserve the current state of the device and continue the investigation without disrupting the user or altering the contents of the laptop. This would allow the analyst to continue the investigation and also return the laptop to the user as soon as possible. memdump, tcpdump, and head are not directly related to creating a disk image of a storage device and would not be effective for continuing the investigation while also returning the laptop to the user.
upvoted 5 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...