Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-601 topic 1 question 202 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-601
Question #: 202
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-601 Questions]

A user reports falling for a phishing email to an analyst. Which of the following system logs would the analyst check FIRST?

• A. DNS
  • B. Message gateway
  • C. Network
  • D. Authentication
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Gino_Slim
Highly Voted 1 year, 9 months ago
This is a also a dumb question
upvoted 91 times
stoneface
Highly Voted 1 year, 10 months ago
Selected Answer: A
We want to see DNS logs to see where the users was taken
upvoted 40 times
i_bird
1 year, 10 months ago
any elaboration will be appreciated..
upvoted 2 times
db97
1 year, 10 months ago
But your assuming that he clicked on a link and the question does not specify that
upvoted 4 times
RonWonkers
1 year, 10 months ago
User report falling for the phishing mail
upvoted 11 times
Sandon
1 year, 8 months ago
It does specify that
upvoted 6 times
hamchook
11 months, 4 weeks ago
you don't have to click a link to fall for a phishing email, you can reply to it with sensitive info not having clicked anything. i go with message gateway; i also did this kind of work and that's the first thing i would check (see the sender, check header info, check to see if that sender sent emails to anyone else to get ahead of it before anybody else falls for it)
upvoted 9 times
examcrammer
10 months ago
DNS would only be useful if the link in the phishing email used a FQDN. If the link used an IP address, DNS is of no use.
upvoted 5 times
emd
11 months, 1 week ago
ChatGPT: B. Message gateway When a user reports falling for a phishing email, the analyst would first check the message gateway logs. The message gateway logs would provide information about the email's source, recipient, attachments, links, and any actions taken by the email security system. This information can help the analyst assess the nature of the phishing attempt, determine potential risks, and take appropriate actions to mitigate any potential security breaches.
upvoted 5 times
csentry007
Most Recent 12 hours, 26 minutes ago
Are we assuming, b falling for it, the clicked a link? DNS logs
upvoted 1 times
JFS_23
1 day, 16 hours ago
Selected Answer: B
Message gateway is the right answer since if we consider the context of investigating a reported phishing email
upvoted 1 times
JasonMunoz
1 month, 1 week ago
The Authentication logs would be the first system logs that the analyst should check in this scenario. These logs provide information about user authentication events, including login attempts, successful logins, and failed logins. By examining authentication logs, the analyst can identify any suspicious or unauthorized access attempts related to the user who fell for the phishing email.
upvoted 1 times
Shouqq_examtopics
2 months, 3 weeks ago
Massage gateway logs
upvoted 2 times
AspiringNerd
3 months ago
The analyst would first check: B. Message gateway logs. Message gateway logs, such as those from email servers or email security appliances, often contain valuable information about incoming and outgoing emails, including details about email delivery, sender and recipient information, and any actions taken by the gateway, such as quarantining or blocking suspicious emails. These logs can help the analyst identify and investigate the phishing email reported by the user.
upvoted 1 times
Imjusthere00
4 months ago
I would say DNS
upvoted 1 times
DrakeMallard
4 months, 2 weeks ago
I'm leaning toward DNS because unless I'm mistaken Message Gateway is not in the objectives for the exam.
upvoted 2 times
kewokil120
5 months, 2 weeks ago
Email issue. Check Email logs. The closet option is Mail gateway and I would hope it would keep a log of that email for admin inspection. Ironport and o365 does this.
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
5 months, 3 weeks ago
From all sources, I can gather it is either Authentication, Message Gateway, or DNS. Except for this site, DNS is out. I cannot find a straignt correct answer. Chat GPT answers both, another site has the question listed twice with two different answers.
upvoted 1 times
Susan4041
6 months ago
I have to say GPT does help at times but I have found it has been wrong as well. Please do't always trust it.
upvoted 2 times
klinkklonk
6 months ago
Message gateway. The message gateway logs would provide information about the incoming and outgoing emails, including details about the phishing email. It may include information about the sender, recipient, subject, attachments, and other relevant details related to the email's entry point into the organization's email system.
upvoted 2 times
thecheat97
7 months, 1 week ago
The answer is authentication on the actual exam and prep exam
upvoted 1 times
sosa4547
2 months, 2 weeks ago
That's what I have down also from another Exam prep course, Authentication.
upvoted 1 times
kevgjo
6 months, 3 weeks ago
you sure about that
upvoted 2 times
Arpilir
7 months, 2 weeks ago
Phishing emails doesnt always have to contain links. Sometimes attacker would pretend someone who needs to verify an identity to update an account and victim needs to reply the requested information. DNS does not apply to that scenario. So to gain some context about the phishing attack, you have to check the email gateway first.
upvoted 3 times
Cloudninja117
8 months ago
check the logs for the dns
upvoted 1 times
ganymede
8 months ago
B. Message Gateway. At first I thought it was DNS, but upon further reflection I have decided that Message Gateway is the best answer. The first thing the security team will do is attempt to determine if this if a True Positive or False Positive. Many reports and alerts are False Positives. They are NOT going to just assume straight away that it is a True Positive. They are going to check and validate that. As part of that work they would likely check the mail logs to see if the mail logs can help them determine whether it is a True Positive or False Positive. Once they have confirmed it is a True Positive then they will want to confirm if and when the link was actually clicked. That is when they will look at DNS.
upvoted 4 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...
ex Want to SAVE BIG on Certification Exam Prep?
close
ex Unlock All Exams with ExamTopics Pro 75% Off
  • arrow Choose From 1000+ Exams
  • arrow Access to 10 Exams per Month
  • arrow PDF Format Available
  • arrow Inline Discussions
  • arrow No Captcha/Robot Checks
Limited Time Offer
Ends in