Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam CAS-004 topic 1 question 193 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's CAS-004
Question #: 193
Topic #: 1
[All CAS-004 Questions]

An administrator at a software development company would like to protect the integrity of the company's applications with digital signatures. The developers report that the signing process keeps failing on all applications. The same key pair used for signing, however, is working properly on the website, is valid, and is issued by a trusted CA. Which of the following is MOST likely the cause of the signature failing?

• A. The NTP server is set incorrectly for the developers.
  • B. The CA has included the certificate in its CRL.
  • C. The certificate is set for the wrong key usage.
  • D. Each application is missing a SAN or wildcard entry on the certificate.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Ckl22
Highly Voted 1 year, 5 months ago
Selected Answer: C
SSL and Code Signing are two very different uses for encryption. SSL is a protocol for securing communication in real-time. Code signing is a time-stamped signature that can be used to verify publisher identity and software integrity. Outside of the fact that both make use of public key encryption, there’s not much other overlap. Certificates are issued with their intended purpose coded and signed into the certificate itself, in the Extended Key Usage field. https://comodosslstore.com/resources/can-i-use-an-ssl-certificate-for-code-signing/
upvoted 5 times
gunjack83
Most Recent 1 week, 6 days ago
The most likely cause of the signature failing is that the certi fi cate is set for the wrong key usage. Key usage is anextension of a certi fi cate that defi nes the purpose and functi onality of the public key contained in the certi fi cate.Key usage can include digital signature, key encipherment, data encipherment, certi fi cate signing, and others. Ifthe certi fi cate is set for a diff erent key usage than digital signature, it will not be able to sign the applicati onsproperly. The administrator should check the key usage extension of the certi fi cate and make sure it matches the intended purpose.
upvoted 1 times
Delab202
4 months ago
Verify Key Pair Compatibility: Ensure that the key pair used for signing is compatible with the applications. Verify that the algorithms and key lengths match the requirements of the signing process for the applications
upvoted 1 times
ThatGuyOverThere
6 months, 2 weeks ago
It's C
upvoted 1 times
BiteSize
9 months, 3 weeks ago
Timing is essential, but I think incorrect implementation is more common. Source: Verifying each answer against Chat GPT, my experience, other test banks, a written book, and weighing in the discussion from all users to create a 100% accurate guide for myself before I take the exam. (It isn't easy because of the time needed, but it is doing my diligence)
upvoted 2 times
javier051977
1 year, 1 month ago
the MOST likely cause of the signature failing on all applications despite the key pair working properly on the website is option C: The certificate is set for the wrong key usage. Digital certificates are used to verify the identity of the signer and ensure the integrity of the signed content. Certificates have specific key usage flags that indicate what the certificate can be used for. For example, a certificate may be issued for digital signatures or for encryption. If the certificate is not set up for the correct key usage, it will not be able to sign the application correctly. Therefore, it is likely that the certificate being used to sign the applications has been set up for the wrong key usage, causing the signature process to fail. The administrator should review the certificate's key usage and ensure it is set up correctly for signing applications.
upvoted 2 times
hailhydra325
1 year, 2 months ago
Selected Answer: A
Having taught CA design and implementation, I've seen this NTP issue multiple times when students forget set the correct time in their VM labs. If the machine that cuts a CSR is not within the time threshold of the Signing CA, i.e. is in the future, this is a typical error. You can try it yourself by building it out on a VM=)
upvoted 1 times
OneSaint
1 year, 2 months ago
Agree with C
upvoted 3 times
Mr_BuCk3th34D
1 year, 4 months ago
The most likely cause of the signature failing is that the certificate is set for the wrong key usage. Digital signatures typically require a certificate with the key usage of "digital signature" enabled. If the certificate is not set for this key usage, it will not be able to be used for signing applications. Other possible causes, such as issues with the NTP server or the CA's CRL, would not affect the ability of the certificate to be used for signing. Similarly, missing a SAN or wildcard entry on the certificate would not cause the signing process to fail.
upvoted 4 times
hidady
1 year, 4 months ago
A is the correct answer
upvoted 2 times
[Removed]
1 year, 6 months ago
Selected Answer: A
What can I do for when my 'certificate is not yet valid'? configure NTP​​ The time is not configured properly https://learn.umh.app/guides/open-source/k3os/troubleshooting/fix-not-yet-valid-cert/
upvoted 3 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...