Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam N10-008 topic 1 question 347 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's N10-008
Question #: 347
Topic #: 1
[All N10-008 Questions]

SIMULATION -

A network technician replaced a switch and needs to reconfigure it to allow the connected devices to connect to the correct networks.

INSTRUCTIONS -

Click on the appropriate port(s) on Switch 1 and Switch 3 to verify or reconfigure the correct settings:

• Ensure each device accesses only its correctly associated network
• Disable all unused switch ports
• Require fault-tolerant connections between the switches
• Only make necessary changes to complete the above requirements

If at any time you would like to bring back the initial state of the simulation, please click the Reset All button.

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: See explanation below.
Explanation:
To reconfigure the switch, the technician needs to click on the appropriate port(s) on Switch 1 and Switch 3. The technician should ensure that each device only has access to its correctly associated network. The technician should also disable all unused switch ports. Finally, the technician should require fault-tolerant connections between the switches. If at any time the technician wants to bring back the initial state of the simulation, they can click on the Reset All button.

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
WinEH
Highly Voted 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Consolidated configuration is here: =================================== Switch 1-Ports 1 & 2 >Port Enabled >LACP Enabled >VLAN60/90/120/150/220 Tagged Switch 1-Ports 3 & 4 >Port Enabled >LACP Disabled >VLAN90 Untagged Switch 1-Ports 5 & 6 >Port Enabled >LACP Enabled >VLAN60/120/150 Tagged Switch 1-Ports 7 & 8 >Port Enabled >LACP Enabled >VLAN60/90/120/220 Tagged Switch 3-Ports 1 & 2 >Port Enabled >LACP Enabled >VLAN60/90/120/220 Tagged Switch 3-Ports 3 & 5 >Port Disabled Switch 3-Port 4 >Port Enabled >LACP Disabled >VLAN120/220 Untagged Switch 3-Port 6 >Port Enabled >LACP Disabled >VLAN120 Untagged Switch 3-Port 7 >Port Enabled >LACP Disabled >VLAN60 Untagged Switch 3-Port 8 >Port Enabled >LACP Disabled >VLAN90 Untagged ===================================
upvoted 28 times
WinEH
8 months, 2 weeks ago
*** Good to know stuff *** Tagged = Switch to Switch connections. Untagged = Devices(WLAN, Servers, Printers, VoIP) Port Enabled = if there is a device connected Port Disabled = if there is nothing connection on the port. *** *** *** *** I changed settings here and there for accuracy, but I referred a few other users' comments, mainly @handcraft0093 and @1stAid for their easily understandable language. Thanks @AntonioTech for giving your approach in figuring out "how to configure?" and Congratualtions! on your Net+ cert, job well done! BTW, I am very new to this IT Networking, so you might see something wrong in the configuration above. Please feel free to point it out with a bit of explanation. That will help me and other users. :)
upvoted 14 times
caloke1
8 months ago
I am just thinking, on switch 3 port 4 does it need to be tagged as there are 2 vlans going into the port?
upvoted 4 times
YUYUY
2 months, 1 week ago
Looks solid, but Switch 3 PORT 4 needs port tagging enabled. How else will the switch know what traffic belongs to which vlan when both the VoIP phone and the desktop share the same port?
upvoted 1 times
AntonioTech
Highly Voted 1 year, 2 months ago
Hi everyone, Apologies for writing so late. I've been very, very busy. OK, please remember that when you start your exam, they WILL HIT YOU immediately in the beginning with the SIMs! It was the same with me. I got these SIMs: Question #6Topic 1 (Wi-Fi configuration), Question #43Topic 1 (subnetting) and this one - Question #347Topic 1. The first 3 questions of the exam were the SIMs from here and one of them was this one. I was so frustrated when I saw how "lucky" I got because of this SIM. However, I didn't panic and neither should you. SKIP THE SIMs! Leave them for last but make sure you have time to deal with them as well. I went through all questions to the end and then started the easiest SIM. This one I left for last as I knew it would take me a lot of time because I literally checked every single port on each switch and then it hit me! I found the solution to the SIM that I could not find anywhere online :)
upvoted 21 times
AntonioTech
1 year, 2 months ago
SW1, ports 5 & 6: You must configure both ports with the same VLANs and settings. Remember that these ports connect to ports 1 and 2 on SW2. Take a look at what devices are connected to SW2 because you must tag the appropriate VLANs on all connecting ports between the switches: SW1, ports 5 & 6 and SW2, ports 1 and 2. In other words, the types of devices you have on SW 2 will define what VLANs you will have to configure on BOTH SW2 (ports 1 and 2) and SW1 (ports 5 and 6). Since SW2 has PCs, a printer and 2 x Wi-Fi APs, you need to configure the following VLANs on ALL of the following ports: SW 1, port 5 and 6 - VLAN 60 (printers), VLAN 90 (servers also because client PC1 and PC2 most likely will have to access the servers as well), VLAN 120 (wired users), VLAN 150 (wireless) SW2, port 1 and 2 - apply the same VLANs and settings here as the ones above.
upvoted 6 times
AntonioTech
1 year, 2 months ago
ALSO - please remember that you MUST ENABLE (Select "PORT UP"!) the active ports and also DISABLE ("PORT DOWN") the inactive ones - no matter which ones you will get on your exam as inactive, or not being used. Disable the unused ports. For the speed on all ports I chose 1000 and for Duplex I chose FULL on all ports. CORE SWITCH: I clicked on ports 1 and 2 and saw how they were configured. Remember this one because this is a HINT on how to configure ports 1 and 2 on SW1 :) I saw that I must tag ALL VLANs on these two ports on SW1 as well because, remember you are working on the Core switch which is connected to SW1. Once I saw their configuration and what tagged traffic they had, I realized how I had to configure ports 1 and 2 on SW1 so I continued to: SWITCH 1: First of all. I clicked on every single port just to see how they were configured and saw that I had to configure ALL OF THEM! Don't panic, all is good.
upvoted 9 times
manne11
1 year, 2 months ago
so you tagged everything based on the tags on switch 1 port 1,2? or did you just leave those tagged and the rest untagged.
upvoted 3 times
MsTech2You
4 months, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing your solution. I just took my test today. Inspite of your warning LOL, I was shocked at tthe fact that my first 5 questions were related to SIMS. I didn't pass but I will know next time. I'm going to have to do the SIMs first and then catchup with the other questions instead of the other way around. It was only 70 questions too! which I was glad about!
upvoted 3 times
StrivingForG8ness
3 months, 2 weeks ago
Did you use this study guide before you took your test?
upvoted 1 times
AntonioTech
1 year, 2 months ago
This SIM looks very complicated, as it did to me before the exam and especially while trying to find ANY explanation anywhere and didn't, but it is not complicated at all. Since they did NOT allow me to have any pen and paper which I needed for the subnetting and SIMs like this one, you must make sure you configure and TAG the correct VLAN on each port and the VLANs given in the question: VLAN 60 = printers VLAN 90 = servers VLAN 120 = wired users VLAN 150 = WLAN (wireless LAN) VLAN 220 = Voice/VoIP (you may face either of these) IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be careful because the ports and switches I will describe may NOT be the ones you will get on your exam. I will just explain what I had to do but the logic is the same for all other tasks. VERY IMPORTANT: Please remember that for any change you do on any port YOU MUST click on the "SAVE" button! Otherwise you have done nothing! It happened to me and what saved me was that, after I finished configuring all ports on all switches, I checked them all again - 2 times!
upvoted 5 times
minx98
10 months, 2 weeks ago
bro you typed how many paragraphs and didn't even answer the full question. I appreciate the guidance nevertheless, but how do we know which are tagged/untagged and which to use LACP?
upvoted 8 times
comeragh
Most Recent 1 month ago
S1 P1&2 TAGGED PORT ENABLED LACP ENABLED VLAN 60 90 120 150 220 S1 P3&4 UNTAGGED PORT ENABLED LACP DISABLED VLAN 90 S1 P5&6 TAGGED PORT ENABLED LACP ENABLED VLAN 60 120 220 S1 P7&8 TAGGED PORT ENABLED LACP ENABLED VLAN 60 90 120 220 S3 P1&2 TAGGED PORT ENABLED LACP ENABLED VLAN 60 90 120 150 220 S3 P3 PORT DISABLED S3 P4 UNTAGGED PORT ENABLED LACP DISABLED VLAN 120 220 S3 P5 PORT DISABLED S3 P6 UNTAGGED PORT ENABLED LACP DISABLED VLAN 120 S3 P7 UNTAGGED PORT ENABLED LACP DISABLED VLAN 60 S3 P8 UNTAGGED PORT ENABLED LACP DISABLED VLAN 90
upvoted 1 times
comeragh
1 month ago
Should the below not also include VLAN 150?? Switch 3-Ports 1 & 2 >Port Enabled >LACP Enabled >VLAN60/90/120/220 Tagged
upvoted 1 times
xihjr
1 month, 3 weeks ago
This question is stupid in that it doesn't specify if the connected devices are vlan aware or not. If the devices are oblivious to 802.1Q the ports they connect to must be access ports. Otherwise the ports can be all configured as trunk ports. The question also does not specify if the devices connected to each different switch require communication with each other or not. All in all, whoever wrote this wrote it half drunk, like most of the other questions in this exam
upvoted 2 times
leedsbarber
3 months ago
Just to check I understand... Enable all connected ports and disable unused ones. Enable LACP between connected switches ONLY. For VLAN, copy the VLANs from the settings on the connected switch. E.g. for switch 1 port 5, copy switch 2 port 1. Speed 1000, full duplex for all. Is that right?
upvoted 1 times
questionreaper
7 months, 1 week ago
tagged=lacp=vlans on connected switches coming from subsequent switches only ports enabled=connected=vlans disabled=unused
upvoted 3 times
questionreaper
7 months, 1 week ago
Correct me if im wrong, A quick summary: All connected ports are tagged with lacp to create ports on different switches working together. Ports that have devices or connected to other ports must be configured as enabled, if not, otherwise disabled. Connected ports share the same vlans that come from devices to the subsequent ports on the switch.
upvoted 1 times
Chachacha2023
11 months, 2 weeks ago
I'm bit confused here. So for swtich1 port5,6,78, do we need to add Vlan90(servers) as servers connected to ports on switch 1 or do we only need to care about the Vlans for what is connected to switch 2 or swtich 3 for the VLANs
upvoted 1 times
handcraft0093
1 year ago
Switch 1-Ports 1 & 2>Port Enabled>LACP Enabled>VLAN60/90/120/150/220 Tagged Switch 1-Ports 3 & 4>Port Enabled>LACP Disabled>VLAN90 Untagged Switch 1-Ports 5 & 6>Port Enabled>LACP Enabled>VLAN60/120/150 Tagged Switch 1-Ports 7 & 8>Port Enabled>LACP Enabled>VLAN60/90/120/150/220 Tagged Switch 3-Port 1 & 2>Port Enabled>LACP Enabled>VLAN60/90/120/150/220 Tagged Switch 3-Ports 3 & 5>Port Disabled Switch 3-Port 4>Port Enabled>LACP Disabled>VLAN120/150 Untagged Switch 3-Port 6>Port Enabled>LACP Disabled>VLAN120 Untagged Switch 3-Port 7>Port Enabled>LACP Disabled>VLAN60 Untagged Switch 3-Port 8>Port Enabled>LACP Disabled>VLAN90>Untagged
upvoted 3 times
handcraft0093
1 year ago
Correction on Switch 3 Port 6: Switch 3-Port 6>Port Enabled>LACP Disabled>VLAN120/220 Untagged
upvoted 2 times
BayOne
12 months ago
You were almost right, just correct Switch 3-Port 1 as well since you do not need WLAN ports in there.
upvoted 2 times
WinEH
8 months, 2 weeks ago
I believe you(@handcraft0093) were confused/mixed up with SW3 ports 4 & 6 numbers Switch 3-Port 6 >Port Enabled >LACP Disabled >VLAN120 Untagged (Due to laptop's wired connection) Switch 3-Port 4 >Port Enabled >LACP Disabled >VLAN120/220 Untagged (Due to its phone & PC connections) Correct me, if I am wrong!! I am very new to this IT networking, trying to learn though. :)
upvoted 1 times
Ragingrnova
5 months, 1 week ago
I could be wrong but when multiple Vlans even if not connecting to another switch are traveling through a port doesn't it need port tagging(Trunking) such as SW3 port 4?
upvoted 1 times
1stAid
1 year ago
To explain it as simple as I can. Tagged = Switch to Switch connections. Untagged = Devices(wlan, server, printers, etc) port Enabled = if there's a device connected. Tagged Connections: Switch to Switch Core to Sw1 = All tagged VLAN+LACP. Sw1 to Sw2 = Tag all necessary VLAN connected to Sw2. Sw1 to Sw3 = tag all necessary VLAN connected to SW3. Untagged Ports: Depending on which device, select the correct VLAN and untagged. +port enabled. LACP Disabled. Disable ports = no device connected. For Cisco folks Tagged(trunk), Untag(Access). LACP(Etherchannel).
upvoted 8 times
famco
1 year ago
to voip phone should be tagged for both.
upvoted 2 times
1stAid
1 year ago
All tagged ports or switch switch will be LACP since theres 2connections.
upvoted 1 times
1stAid
1 year ago
Wired speed/duplex can stay the same or auto since it doesn't say anything about it.
upvoted 1 times
El_Cabron
1 year ago
"Only make necessary changes to complete the above requirements" My take on this. Only the trunks need to be tagged but you do not have to add all the VLANs into it. Leave it as unselected and by default it will forward all the VLANS to the other switches. The SIM looks complicated but it's actually simple. Let's not overthink it. sw3 port 8: Vlan90, untagged sw3 port 7: Vlan60, untagged sw3 port 6: Vlan150, untagged sw3 port 5: Disable sw3 port 4: Vlan220,120 untagged sw3 port 3: Disable sw3 port 1,2: Native Vlan, tagged, LACP sw1 port 8,7: Native Vlan, tagged, LACP sw1 port 6,5: Native Vlan, tagged, LACP sw1 port 4,3: Vlan90, untagged sw1 port 2,1: Native Vlan, tagged, LACP
upvoted 2 times
[Removed]
1 year ago
Did this work?
upvoted 1 times
famco
1 year ago
I see so many mistakes. First of all sw3 port6 is not WLAN also for the voip phones both vlans should be tagged (according to me)
upvoted 1 times
Brenner22
3 months, 2 weeks ago
native VLAN (vlan 1) passes all vlan traffic by default on trunked ports. I think El cabron is correct here.
upvoted 1 times
El_Cabron
1 year, 1 month ago
From our buddy ChatGPT: When you configure VLANs on a switch, you need to tag each VLAN that carries traffic over a trunk link. When a switch port is configured as a trunk port, it can carry traffic from multiple VLANs simultaneously. On the other hand, when a switch port is configured as an access port, it can carry traffic for a single VLAN only. In this case, VLAN tagging is not required. So from the above, we should only enable tagging on the trunk ports between the switches. None of the other ones require it.
upvoted 1 times
Des23
1 year, 1 month ago
Does anyone know if a lot of the questions on here are on the test?
upvoted 1 times
SF_B123
1 year, 1 month ago
what is the clear answer for this question?
upvoted 2 times
AntonioTech
1 year, 2 months ago
SORRY about the mess in the posts but the system won't let me post the whole solution at once so I had to post it in several sections. PLEASE read the solution as follows: First the main post starting with "Hi everyone" and then start from the bottom up - in reverse order. Sorry about that but I could not post it any other way.
upvoted 6 times
RKhan
1 year, 2 months ago
Switch 1: (Port 1,2,5,6,7,8) Port: Enabled LACP: Enabled Vlan1: Tagged -> Unselect Switch 1: (Port 3,4) Wired Server 1 & 2 Port: Enabled LACP: Disabled Vlan1: UnTagged -> Vlan90 Switch 2: (Port 3,5) Disable Both Ports Switch 2: (Port 1,2) Port: Enabled LACP: Enabled Vlan1: Tagged -> Unselect Switch 2: (Port 4) Wired Phone+PC3 Port: Enabled LACP: Disabled Vlan1: UnTagged-->VLAN220 Vlan2: UnTagged-->VLAN120 Switch 2: (Port 6) Wired-Laptop Port: Enabled LACP: Disabled Vlan1: UnTagged-->VLAN120 Switch 2: (Port 7) Wired Printer Port: Enabled LACP: Disabled Vlan1: UnTagged-->VLAN60 Switch 2: (Port 8) Wired Server 2 Port: Enabled LACP: Disabled Vlan1: UnTagged-->VLAN90
upvoted 10 times
Ravi4423
1 year, 1 month ago
thanks for the typos
upvoted 1 times
Tybalt
10 months ago
The question says switches 1 and 3. Why all the changes to switch 2?
upvoted 2 times
SF_B123
1 year, 1 month ago
is this the right answer for this question? and is switch 2 suppose to be switch 3?
upvoted 1 times
BenBen1234
1 year, 2 months ago
I'm assuming you mean switch 3 and not 2. Switch 2 is not clickable
upvoted 7 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...