Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam N10-007 topic 1 question 106 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's N10-007
Question #: 106
Topic #: 1
[All N10-007 Questions]

A building is equipped with light sensors that turn off the fluorescent lights when natural light is above a certain brightness. Users report experiencing network connection issues only during certain hours. The west side of the building experiences connectivity issues in the morning hours and the east side near the end of the day. At night the connectivity issues affect the entire building. Which of the following could be the cause of the connectivity issues?

• A. Light sensors are interfering with the network
  • B. EMI from the lights is interfering with the network cables
  • C. Network wiring is run perpendicular to electrical conduit
  • D. Temperature changes are causing attenuation in copper cabling
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
KC
Highly Voted 5 years ago
I believe this answer is incorrect. The cable isn't supposed to be run parallel to electrical conduit. But perpendicular should be okay. So B would make more sense as being the problem, since the entire building is affected at night.
upvoted 20 times
Ajahan
2 years, 5 months ago
I thought B was the correct but than, paying attention to the the word "perpendicular" 90 Degree can cause the issue. with your data cable, you can go parallel with electric wires but never cross it. Crossing it at 90 Degree will cause for EMI.
upvoted 1 times
TeflonJimmy
Highly Voted 4 years, 7 months ago
I am fairly certain you are **supposed** to run network cable perpendicular to the electrical conduit to preserve communication and minimize disruption. I think the answer is "B" as well.
upvoted 17 times
H_Kieddo
2 years ago
''Don’t Run the Cables Parallel ........'' ''The high-voltage cable can interrupt the magnetic field and cause interference. You can limit the problem by crossing the cables perpendicularly. The right-angle crossing prevents the power cable from disrupting the ethernet cable’s magnetic field. The number of times you cross the cables depends on the length. ". https://sortatechy.com/can-you-run-ethernet-cable-next-to-electrical-cable/
upvoted 1 times
bloodyhell
Most Recent 1 year, 10 months ago
B: - fluorescent lights (EMI) - network dispruption occurs only certain hours, when wings of the building have lack of natural light -> fluorescent lights are on -> EMI disrupts network. If it was because of the perpendicular wiring, then network would've been down constantly.
upvoted 1 times
mikey6567
1 year, 10 months ago
Answer here is B. The key is when the users are experiencing the connectivity issues. During the morning the users on the west side have having issues. The east side of the building is receiving natural light and the lights are off (no EMI). Later on in the day, east side of the building is having issues because natural light has shifted to west side of building and east side is getting hit with EMI due to the lights being on. At night, the entire building has problems because lights are on in the entire building.
upvoted 1 times
Halaa
2 years, 2 months ago
Selected Answer: B
certain hours
upvoted 1 times
Ray2436
2 years, 5 months ago
I go for C. Fluorescent light can make EMI on the wires but it has been said the wires are close to the lamps.
upvoted 1 times
PullThePlug
2 years, 8 months ago
Fluorescent lights can be a significant source of EMI due to their starting principle. In order to create a spark across the florescent tube there needs to be 500V and more (depending on technology) to start. This voltage is dissipated through air with by a fluorescent light starter that is basically an interference source for all surrounding equipment. An Electro Magnetic Interference source can be anything that carries electricity; a broken fluorescent starter, a grounded machinery, a cable with damaged insulation or a new smart watch.
upvoted 1 times
jhfdkjshfkjdsho
2 years, 8 months ago
Perpendicular wiring can cause EMI effects much more than lights. You can check the right-hand rule. https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/395851/left-or-right-hand-rule/395881
upvoted 1 times
PullThePlug
2 years, 8 months ago
The main idea of installing signal lines and power lines perpendicular to each other is to reduce inductive and captative coupling effect. If you just consider the inductive coupling for example, by reducing the distance that a power line and a signal line share in parallel arrangement you actually reduce the mutual inductance; which is the primary cause of crosstalk and other interferences. You could see many power lines laid close or in the same cable trunk as signal lines however this would most likely be shielded wires :)
upvoted 1 times
b0ugi3
2 years, 9 months ago
I'm gonna go with B here
upvoted 4 times
throughthefray
2 years, 9 months ago
the answer IS C but for a dumb reason. When a building is equip with sensor activated lights that turn on at night, those lights are generally OUTSIDE of the building. So the lights that are outside cant really interfere with network cables that are INSIDE the building. the question never states that the lights are outside they somehow expect you to assume that yourself through logic. This question does not give you all of the information that you need to answer it.
upvoted 3 times
Andee
2 years, 10 months ago
It states EMI from the light itself it doesn't mention the nework wirings relationship to the lights in this answer, to select this we would have to make an assumption the cable runs by lights. They state the network cable is perpendicular which means they are crossing at right angles. When lights are idle at the times given there is no current flowing so there isnt an impact of the wiring layout, when the light is activated the current flows ans starts interfering with the signal flowing through the network cable. The answer is correct in my opionion
upvoted 2 times
[Removed]
3 years, 2 months ago
I believe the most logical answer is C. The problem persists when the light sensors toggle on the florescent lights, creating a flow of alternating current. The current will cause EMI with the network cable's transmissions.
upvoted 1 times
Dirkster
3 years, 4 months ago
I think the answer here is meant to be C, but the wording of the answer is wrong.
upvoted 3 times
iamgoingtopassthistest
3 years, 5 months ago
My professor, holding advanced degrees, says given answer is correct! Florescent affects wireless. ANd electricity is like water in a pipe. Not flowing, it dont cause problems. Flowing it causes problems. It would flow in mornings and evenings.
upvoted 3 times
TedTheAtheist
3 years, 4 months ago
Yea, I'm going with B.
upvoted 3 times
YouDipEE
3 years, 5 months ago
A. Light sensors are interfering with the network. When the sun goes up and the area will not be hit by the sun rays the light sensor will trigger ON. As the sun change phase the light sensor started to OFF if the sensor will not be struck from the rays. At night the entire building has no connection because the light sensors are all functioning due to the absence of sunlight.
upvoted 3 times
ostralo
3 years, 7 months ago
B is the right answer.
upvoted 2 times
CarlosJamesColumna
3 years, 8 months ago
Answer should be B, if wiring was runned perpendicular to electrical cabling, the issue should not always manifest during sometime, it should manifest always because the sensors are always ON to identify if they need to turn the lights ON or OFF.
upvoted 7 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...