Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SCR topic 1 question 12 discussion

Actual exam question from GARP's SCR
Question #: 12
Topic #: 1
[All SCR Questions]

An investment analyst assesses climate-related stranded asset risk for a portfolio of energy companies. The analyst develops a list of companies potentially exhibiting stranded asset risk. After a more granular examination, the analyst summarizes corporate activity in the following table:

The analyst identifies the company with the highest stranded asset exposure for possible divestment. Which company does the analyst recommend for divestment?

• A. Utility
  • B. Oil & Gas
  • C. Technology startup
  • D. Hydroelectric
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
linaSCR
1 week, 4 days ago
Selected Answer: C
C -More "stranded" that any other. Why invest in a "dead company"?
upvoted 1 times
79861dd
1 week, 4 days ago
Selected Answer: D
Declining oil reserves is little to do with climate related risks.
upvoted 1 times
Kai_Kohi
2 weeks ago
Be careful on these questions, they shift the answers from time to time. I originally picked 'Oil and Gas' during my 1st attempt for a mock exam practice and they had the answer as Hydroelectric. Very misleading. My advice is take it with a pinch of salt and keep reading the context instead.
upvoted 2 times
SCRFan
5 months, 1 week ago
Believe answer is D, before useful life and written down due to climate hazard (physical). It doesn't say the asset is already stranded. Oil and gas assets at end of oil reserves means it IS at end of useful life, since it doesn't say that these are reserves that have become economically unfeasible due to market, regulatory, or other transition risks. For the technology company, it doesn't say the investments have been made, and for the first, it says nothing about cost curves for the current technology changing that would lead to stranding.
upvoted 1 times
MatMat2023
6 months, 2 weeks ago
There is ambiguity in the answers. To opine on which strategy leads to the the highest stranded asset exposure the answers should have been accompanied by numbers. In C the asset has already gone stranded so this is the most probable answer compared to others.
upvoted 1 times
xdude
6 months, 3 weeks ago
The oil and gas example states that the write down is due to decline in the oil reserves, which is different from write down due to regulatory or policy reasons.
upvoted 1 times
Gs2410
7 months, 1 week ago
In my opinion C is the correct answer as for Oil and Gas the asset has now reduced value and surely carries the risk of stranded asset but Hydroelectric company asset has already become stranded due to Drought in the river basin and shutting down of dam operations.
upvoted 2 times
sbrudersohn
1 year ago
Selected Answer: B
I agree with the chosen answer i.e. B: (6.3.2. pg 124) The oil & gas sector is a good example of a sector that has been hit by the stranded asset transmission channel. His-torically, much of the value of such firms has been in their reserves and the expectation of their consistent or grow-ing revenues. The fact that many of these firms’ assets may become stranded and that oil demand is expected to fall means that these firms may become less creditworthy than they would in the absence of climate change.
upvoted 2 times
SCRnow
1 year ago
Poorly phrased answer. I suspect they meant write-off on oil reserves due to legal / reg changes (Transition risk materialized)
upvoted 1 times
SCRnow
1 year ago
C should also be correct. Sustained draughts due to climate change = chronic physical risk = qualifies for stranding assets. Premature shut down = write off.
upvoted 1 times
Karnitschnig
1 year ago
C is an actual stranded asset. B is not.
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...