Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam Professional Cloud Architect topic 1 question 146 discussion

Actual exam question from Google's Professional Cloud Architect
Question #: 146
Topic #: 1
[All Professional Cloud Architect Questions]

Your company wants to migrate their 10-TB on-premises database export into Cloud Storage. You want to minimize the time it takes to complete this activity, the overall cost, and database load. The bandwidth between the on-premises environment and Google Cloud is 1 Gbps. You want to follow Google-recommended practices. What should you do?

• A. Develop a Dataflow job to read data directly from the database and write it into Cloud Storage.
  • B. Use the Data Transfer appliance to perform an offline migration.
  • C. Use a commercial partner ETL solution to extract the data from the on-premises database and upload it into Cloud Storage.
  • D. Compress the data and upload it with gsutil -m to enable multi-threaded copy.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
pr2web
Highly Voted 2 years, 8 months ago
This is pretty simple. Time to transfer using Transfer Appliance: 1-3 weeks (I've used it twice and had a 2-3 week turnaround total) Time to transfer using 1Gbps : 30 hours (https://cloud.google.com/architecture/migration-to-google-cloud-transferring-your-large-datasets) Answer is D, using gsutil
upvoted 90 times
mickeythecraycray
2 years, 1 month ago
Will that not increase the Database load?, one of the requirement is to reduce the load of the DB during this operation.
upvoted 3 times
Aiffone
2 years, 4 months ago
If I can do it in 30hrs, why choose 1 week? i'd go with B
upvoted 3 times
Aiffone
2 years, 4 months ago
I mean I'd go with A rather...questions says to spend minimum time and we have 1Gbps to do 10Tb in 30hrs
upvoted 2 times
Aiffone
2 years, 3 months ago
Transfer appliance -A
upvoted 2 times
Deb2293
1 year, 1 month ago
Go home you are drunk
upvoted 3 times
joe2211
2 years, 5 months ago
Not about time but "Google-recommended practices"
upvoted 8 times
MikeB19
2 years, 7 months ago
This is the correct article to support this question but the article proves the transfer appliance is the correct answer. Right below the transfer calc chart is recommended amount of data for gsutil. Gsutil should be used for data transfer under 1 tb “Your private data center to Google Cloud Enough bandwidth to meet your project deadline for less than 1 TB of data gsutil”
upvoted 3 times
gingerbeer
Highly Voted 2 years, 7 months ago
No perfect answer as B and D both have flaws. B is time latency as transfer appliance usually takes weeks; D gsutil applies for less than 1TB. The answer should be storage transfer service for on-premises data, which is not available here. If have to choose one I go for B
upvoted 19 times
RitwickKumar
1 year, 8 months ago
Storage transfer service is for online data. It can't serve the purpose if you don't have the connectivity established between on prem and gcp. Which is what we can't assume ourselves in this question.
upvoted 1 times
MFay
Most Recent 4 days, 18 hours ago
Selected Answer: B
Option B (Data Transfer appliance) is the best choice for efficient and cost-effective data migration while minimizing database load and transfer time. This solution bypasses network limitations and reduces the impact on the on-premises environment, making it ideal for migrating large data sets to the cloud.
upvoted 1 times
gbemimatti
1 week, 5 days ago
Compressing the data and uploading it with gsutil -m can be a good optimization for your transfer, but it has limitations to consider: Compression Overhead: While compressing the data can reduce upload size and potentially speed up transfer, the compression and decompression processes themselves take time and resources. Depending on your data type, the benefit of reduced size might be offset by the processing overhead. Transfer Appliance: The recommended approach with the Transfer Appliance already utilizes parallel transfers for faster uploads, potentially making gsutil -m less impactful. I will go with B
upvoted 1 times
gbemimatti
1 week, 5 days ago
Compressing the data and uploading it with gsutil -m can be a good optimization for your transfer, but it has limitations to consider: Compression Overhead: While compressing the data can reduce upload size and potentially speed up transfer, the compression and decompression processes themselves take time and resources. Depending on your data type, the benefit of reduced size might be offset by the processing overhead. Transfer Appliance: The recommended approach with the Transfer Appliance already utilizes parallel transfers for faster uploads, potentially making gsutil -m less impactful. I will go with B
upvoted 1 times
342f1c6
1 month ago
Selected Answer: D
with 1 Gbps it will take only 30 hrs so best option is D
upvoted 1 times
RajSelvaraj
1 month, 2 weeks ago
Option B and D are most feasible options Option B will be okay if the size of the data is too huge Option D will be good for a few TBs of data. I am assuming 10 TB will fit in this case. https://cloud.google.com/blog/topics/developers-practitioners/how-transfer-your-data-google-cloud
upvoted 1 times
madcloud32
2 months ago
Answer B. Cp limit is 5 TB max
upvoted 2 times
OrangeTiger
2 months, 4 weeks ago
I chose D. According to the link below, 10TB of data can be transferred in 30h. The light blue area is the acceptable line for online transfer. https://cloud.google.com/architecture/migration-to-google-cloud-transferring-your-large-datasets?hl=ja#online_versus_offline_transfer
upvoted 2 times
Pime13
3 months ago
https://cloud.google.com/architecture/migration-to-google-cloud-transferring-your-large-datasets
upvoted 2 times
Pime13
3 months, 1 week ago
https://cloud.google.com/architecture/migration-to-google-cloud-transferring-your-large-datasets#online_versus_offline_transfer
upvoted 1 times
didek1986
3 months, 2 weeks ago
It is B
upvoted 1 times
brushek
4 months ago
it is D. it is far more faster to send this 10TB data over network, than 'call' for Transfer Applience.
upvoted 1 times
brucfrs
5 months ago
Transfer Appliance: 1-3 weeks Transfer using 1Gbps : 30 hours
upvoted 2 times
odacir
5 months, 2 weeks ago
Is Transfer Appliance suitable for me? Transfer Appliance is a good fit for your data transfer needs if: You are an existing Google Cloud customer. Your data resides in locations that Transfer Appliance is available. It would take more than one week to upload your data over the network. vs Time to transfer using 1Gbps : 30 hours
upvoted 1 times
ArtistS
5 months, 2 weeks ago
I just want to ask who choose B. Both B and D you can find some evidence in the doc. So we do not talk about the doc, we just talk about if 30 hours to transfer it you can not accept it, and if you use transfer appliance it will spend over 10 days you can accept? So forget about the doc, if google want you to choose B, they will give you 100TB or 1PB rather than 10TB
upvoted 1 times
asharma7
6 months, 1 week ago
Option B is correct. Below is the explanation. Transfer scenario Recommendation Transferring from another cloud storage provider Use Storage Transfer Service. Transferring less than 1 TB from on-premises Use gcloud storage. Transferring more than 1 TB from on-premises Use Storage Transfer Service. Transferring less than 1 TB from another Cloud Storage region Use gcloud storage. Transferring more than 1 TB from another Cloud Storage region Use Storage Transfer Service.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...