Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam CBAP topic 1 question 55 discussion

Actual exam question from IIBA's CBAP
Question #: 55
Topic #: 1
[All CBAP Questions]

You are the business analyst for the TGH Organization and are determining if you should buy or build a solution for your company. You have determined that you can create the in-house solution for $78,000 with a monthly support cost of $8,765. A vendor can create the solution for $61,000 with a monthly support costs of
$7,990.
How long will it take your company to break even if you choose the internal solution versus the vendor's solution?

• A. 36 months
  • B. 12 months
  • C. 6 months
  • D. 22 months
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Banafa
Highly Voted 3 years, 6 months ago
need to find the common variable used in make or buy which is here number of months. Alt (make) the Break point = 61000 + 7990 * N where N number of months Alt (buy) the Break point = 78000 + 8765 * N where N number of months at break point value the two alternarives are equal 61000 + 7990 * N = 78000 + 8765 * N N=21.935
upvoted 15 times
binu801
2 years, 9 months ago
by solving this equation, we will get a negative value of N, the question is incorrect.
upvoted 4 times
km_45
Highly Voted 3 years, 2 months ago
there is an error in the numbers: the cost (or support) should be switched to break even at 22 months. Otherwise, they would never ever break even: the first solution is more expensive both in cost and support.
upvoted 10 times
Farooq_95
Most Recent 3 weeks, 4 days ago
The internal solution will never break even because its costs will always be higher than the vendor's cost. The vendor's cost are always beneficial as its fixed as well as variable costs are lower compared to internal solution's cost. As the time passes, the internal solution tends to cost more compared to internal solution. This is also justified by negative N value resulted from solving the equation: $78,000 + $8,765*N = $61,000 + $7,990*N
upvoted 1 times
NuriaIzard
1 year, 6 months ago
It is true that the values for the monthly costs are reversed. Like this, the number of months would be negative since the two functions would never meet, as Olivier said
upvoted 1 times
Hong_i
1 year, 7 months ago
Buy: $86765 Make: $68990 Implementation cost difference: $17775 Monthly cost difference: $775 Implementation cost difference: $17775/Monthly cost difference: $775 =22.93 months to break even. Nearest answer D
upvoted 1 times
ElyonSenjo
1 year, 11 months ago
out of scope of BABOK v3
upvoted 1 times
OlivierPaudex
2 years, 1 month ago
makavely007 answer is correct, only if we reverse the monthly cost. Without that, there is no chance that second solution will break first one
upvoted 1 times
SavvyBA
2 years, 4 months ago
This is a tricky question. I think the way it is written throws me off, but ultimately I see that the "break even" is referring to how much time will it take to offset the extra expenses that would have been saved up front. E.g., if the company had chosen the vendor's solution, they would have immediately realized and equivalent of 22 months of savings vs. the internal solution.
upvoted 1 times
makavely007
2 years, 5 months ago
Monthly extra cost for in-house solution=$8765-$7990=$775 Extra cost expended in a year for in-house solution against vendor solution=$78000-$61000=$17000 How many months would it take to cover extra yearly cost at $775 monthly=$17000/$775=21.935 or 22months
upvoted 5 times
AnyU
2 years, 2 months ago
The logic used for the solution does not make any sense.
upvoted 2 times
eiadsaadah
3 years, 8 months ago
me too
upvoted 1 times
mismango
3 years, 8 months ago
I would like to find out the formula that got us 22 month
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...