Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam LFCS topic 1 question 57 discussion

Actual exam question from Linux Foundation's LFCS
Question #: 57
Topic #: 1
[All LFCS Questions]

What is the difference between the i and a commands of the vi editor?

• A. i (interactive) requires the user to explicitly switch between vi modes whereas a (automatic) switches modes automatically.
  • B. i (insert) inserts text before the current cursor position whereas a (append) inserts text after the cursor.
  • C. i (independent rows) starts every new line at the first character whereas a (aligned rows) keeps the indentation of the previous line.
  • D. i (interrupt) temporarily suspends editing of a file to the background whereas a (abort) terminates editing.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Strib
10 months, 1 week ago
Selected Answer: B
B. i (insert) inserts text before the current cursor position whereas a (append) inserts text after the cursor. In the vi editor, the "i" command is used to enter the insert mode, which allows you to insert text before the current cursor position. When you are in insert mode, any text you type will be added at the location of the cursor. On the other hand, the "a" command is used to enter the append mode, which allows you to insert text after the cursor position. When you are in append mode, any text you type will be added immediately after the cursor. Here's a summary of the difference between the "i" and "a" commands in vi: "i": Enters insert mode and allows inserting text before the current cursor position. "a": Enters append mode and allows inserting text after the current cursor position. By using these commands, you can efficiently edit and modify text within the vi editor.
upvoted 1 times
passnow
3 years ago
B is correct. without pressing i and making it active you can't type anything in the vi editor, as it helps you add text to the editor.
upvoted 1 times
Borbz
3 years, 2 months ago
B is correct.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...