Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam MS-100 topic 3 question 23 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's MS-100
Question #: 23
Topic #: 3
[All MS-100 Questions]

Note: This question is part of a series of questions that present the same scenario. Each question in the series contains a unique solution that might meet the stated goals. Some question sets might have more than one correct solution, while others might not have a correct solution.
After you answer a question in this section, you will NOT be able to return to it. As a result, these questions will not appear in the review screen.
Your company has 3,000 users. All the users are assigned Microsoft 365 E3 licenses.
Some users are assigned licenses for all Microsoft 365 services. Other users are assigned licenses for only certain Microsoft 365 services.
You need to determine whether a user named User1 is licensed for Exchange Online only.
Solution: You run the Get-MsolUser cmdlet.
Does this meet the goal?

• A. Yes
  • B. No
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️
The Get-MsolUser cmdlet will tell you if a user is licensed for Microsoft 365 but it does not tell you which licenses are assigned.
Reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/msonline/get-msoluser?view=azureadps-1.0

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
saumade
Highly Voted 4 years, 4 months ago
I think the correct answer should be A for example: get-msoluser -UserPrincipalName [email protected] | select -ExpandProperty licenses | ft AccountSkuId Lists all the licenses of a user
upvoted 35 times
itmp
3 years, 11 months ago
@saumade, your command gives you the output below. Can you tell if the user has EXO ? ... Provided answer is correct. mycompany:FLOW_FREE mycompany:AAD_PREMIUM_P2 mycompany:EMS mycompany:TEAMS_COMMERCIAL_TRIAL mycompany:ENTERPRISEPREMIUM_NOPSTNCONF
upvoted 2 times
Logitech
3 years, 3 months ago
yes you can if you have exonline then this will return: EXCHANGE_S_ENTERPRISE or EXCHANGE_S_STANDARD
upvoted 3 times
BGM_YKA
2 years, 11 months ago
example... (Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName [email protected]).licenses.servicestatus | Where {$_.ServicePlan.serviceName -like "EXCHANGE*"} has output... ServicePlan ProvisioningStatus ----------- ------------------ EXCHANGE_S_ENTERPRISE Success EXCHANGE_ANALYTICS Success
upvoted 1 times
ranc1d
4 years, 1 month ago
Its not about the license, its about the service "Exchange Online". Nevertheless A should be correct To view services for a user account: (Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName [email protected]).Licenses.ServiceStatus
upvoted 17 times
andrejkamensky
3 years, 8 months ago
the whole command: $userUPN="<user account UPN>" $AllLicenses=(Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName $userUPN).Licenses $licArray = @() for($i = 0; $i -lt $AllLicenses.Count; $i++) { $licArray += "License: " + $AllLicenses[$i].AccountSkuId $licArray += $AllLicenses[$i].ServiceStatus $licArray += "" } $licArray
upvoted 3 times
CMal
Highly Voted 3 years, 5 months ago
The answer is correct. In the sentence, it states "All the users are assigned Microsoft 365 E3 licenses.". With an E3, Exchange Online is a service/workload, not a license. The only way the Exchange Online license would appear would be if you purchased an Exchange Online Plan 1 or Plan 2 license separate from the E3.
upvoted 26 times
originalwitness
3 years, 4 months ago
This makes much more sense than the other explanations. Tricky wording!
upvoted 4 times
Maroslaw
2 years, 10 months ago
Correct, tested on my E3
upvoted 2 times
JCkD4Ni3L
Most Recent 1 year ago
Selected Answer: A
Correct answer is A. This should clean any doubt: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/view-account-license-and-service-details-with-microsoft-365-powershell?view=o365-worldwide#to-view-services-for-a-user-account-1
upvoted 1 times
ARZIMMADAR
1 year, 2 months ago
Guys the Msol user cmdelt will only display the users who are licensed not what licenses they have. Answer is most definitely Azure portal, licenses blade.
upvoted 1 times
Cebsiej_28
1 year, 8 months ago
B is correct because Get-MsolUser cmd will only tell you if the user is licensed or not.
upvoted 1 times
Stiobhan
1 year, 11 months ago
Answer is correct. It's suggesting you are only running Get-MsolUser with no additional arguments. This commannd on its own retrieves all users in the company. It displays up to the default value of 500 results. It's about 1/4 way down on this link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/msonline/get-msoluser?view=azureadps-1.0
upvoted 4 times
KSvh53
2 years, 1 month ago
I have a test environment set up and have verified this. The correct answer is A. You can run this exact command after connecting to msonline and get all the licenses they belong to (you just have to know how to read them): (Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName [email protected]).licenses The output gave me the accountSKU ID for all the licenses. You might have to do additional work to know what those licenses are if you're not familiar with them but it's not too hard to guess which one is. It lets you see any licenses that are assigned, the same ones you can see in Microsoft 365 Admin Center under that user.
upvoted 1 times
mikaiwhodakno
1 year, 10 months ago
Except Exchange Online is a service that cannot be listed via "Get-MsolUser", not a license, therefore B is correct.
upvoted 1 times
trexar
2 years, 1 month ago
Output of the command: Licenses. A list of the user's licenses. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/msonline/get-msoluser?view=azureadps-1.0
upvoted 1 times
mikaiwhodakno
1 year, 10 months ago
Except Exchange Online is a service that cannot be listed via "Get-MsolUser", not a license, therefore B is correct.
upvoted 2 times
jkklim
2 years, 3 months ago
tested - answer is A
upvoted 1 times
tf444
2 years, 3 months ago
Get-MsolUser -All | where {$_.isLicensed -eq $true}.
upvoted 1 times
EaaGleee
2 years, 4 months ago
get-msoluser -UserPrincipalName [email protected] | select -ExpandProperty licenses | ft AccountSkuId
upvoted 1 times
Madball
2 years, 8 months ago
I think you all may be misunderstanding the question, the question states "you run the get-msoluser cmdlet". If you run this on its own you do not get what license each user has, however you can get the license details using this cmdlet but it require further additional cmdlets. So I would say the answer is NO on this one.
upvoted 4 times
Fcnet
2 years, 9 months ago
Answer is A get-msoluser gives details PS C:\> (get-msoluser -userprincipalname [email protected]).licenses.servicestatus ServicePlan ProvisioningStatus ----------- ------------------ RMS_S_BASIC PendingProvisioning POWER_VIRTUAL_AGENTS_O365_P1 Success CDS_O365_P1 Success PROJECT_O365_P1 Success DYN365_CDS_O365_P1 Success KAIZALA_O365_P2 Success MICROSOFT_SEARCH PendingProvisioning WHITEBOARD_PLAN1 Success MYANALYTICS_P2 Success and Get-AzureADSubscribedSku gives SkuPartNumber ------------------------- STANDARDPACK no details
upvoted 1 times
melatocaroca
2 years, 10 months ago
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/view-account-license-and-service-details-with-microsoft-365-powershell?view=o365-worldwide
upvoted 2 times
kanag1
2 years, 3 months ago
This command provides details of all assigned services. Cool !! melatocaroca Thanks for the reference (Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName [email protected]).Licenses.ServiceStatus
upvoted 1 times
melatocaroca
2 years, 10 months ago
$userUPN="<user account UPN, such as [email protected]>" $licensePlanList = Get-AzureADSubscribedSku $userList = Get-AzureADUser -ObjectID $userUPN | Select -ExpandProperty AssignedLicenses | Select SkuID $userList | ForEach { $sku=$_.SkuId ; $licensePlanList | ForEach { If ( $sku -eq $_.ObjectId.substring($_.ObjectId.length - 36, 36) ) { Write-Host $_.SkuPartNumber } } } Reference https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/view-account-license-and-service-details-with-microsoft-365-powershell?view=o365-worldwide
upvoted 1 times
mackypatio
2 years, 11 months ago
answer is no. and microsoft should make a way to do this. i raised a case about this a couple of times and MS support says everytime that there is no way.
upvoted 1 times
mackypatio
2 years, 11 months ago
i meant powershell way, currently there is no way.
upvoted 1 times
mackypatio
2 years, 11 months ago
i stand corrected, (get-msoluser -userprincipalname [email protected]).licenses.servicestatus
upvoted 2 times
Razuli
2 years, 12 months ago
Get-MsolUser only tells you if they are licensed or not e.g. True or Fales, doesnt tell you what they are licensed for. I have just tested this on my tenant
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...