Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam AZ-300 topic 1 question 31 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's AZ-300
Question #: 31
Topic #: 1
[All AZ-300 Questions]

HOTSPOT -
You have an Azure subscription named Subscription1.
Subscription1 contains the virtual machines in the following table:

Subscription1 contains a virtual network named VNet1 that has the subnets in the following table.

VM3 has multiple network adapters, including a network adapter named NIC3. IP forwarding is enabled on NIC3. Routing is enabled on VM3.
You create a route table named RT1 that contains the routers in the following table.

You apply RT1 to Subnet1 and Subnet2.
For each of the following statements, select Yes if the statement is true. Otherwise, select No.
NOTE: Each correct selection is worth one point.
Hot Area:

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer:
IP forwarding enables the virtual machine a network interface is attached to:
✑ Receive network traffic not destined for one of the IP addresses assigned to any of the IP configurations assigned to the network interface.
✑ Send network traffic with a different source IP address than the one assigned to one of a network interface's IP configurations.
The setting must be enabled for every network interface that is attached to the virtual machine that receives traffic that the virtual machine needs to forward. A virtual machine can forward traffic whether it has multiple network interfaces or a single network interface attached to it.

Box 1: Yes -
The routing table allows connections from VM3 to VM1 and VM2. And as IP forwarding is enabled on VM3, VM3 can connect to VM1.

Box 2: No -
VM3, which has IP forwarding, must be turned on, in order for VM2 to connect to VM1.

Box 3: Yes -
The routing table allows connections from VM1 and VM2 to VM3. IP forwarding on VM3 allows VM1 to connect to VM2 via VM3.
References:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-networks-udr-overview https://www.quora.com/What-is-IP-forwarding

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Abbas
Highly Voted 4 years, 3 months ago
Answers are: yes no yes because forwarding is done via VM3. Read below. Azure routes network traffic in subnets by default. But in some cases, we want to use custom traffic routes to define where and how traffic flows. In this case, we use route tables. A route table defines the next hop for our traffic and determines where the network traffic needs to go.
upvoted 36 times
certificatores
4 years, 1 month ago
even the answer is right, Azure network services should be smart enough to route that traffic from default route if forwarded route is wrong. I don't get why Azure do not support this very basic functionality
upvoted 1 times
Khang
Highly Voted 4 years, 1 month ago
Yes/No/Yes
upvoted 13 times
tashakori
Most Recent 1 month, 1 week ago
Given answer is right
upvoted 1 times
RakyBai
1 year, 11 months ago
When you create a route table and associate it to a subnet, the table's routes are combined with the subnet's default routes. If there are conflicting route assignments, user-defined routes will override the default routes. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/virtual-networks-udr-overview#:~:text=When%20you%20create%20a%20route%20table%20and%20associate%20it%20to%20a%20subnet%2C%20the%20table%27s%20routes%20are%20combined%20with%20the%20subnet%27s%20default%20routes.%20If%20there%20are%20conflicting%20route%20assignments%2C%20user%2Ddefined%20routes%20will%20override%20the%20default%20routes.
upvoted 1 times
iamgk
3 years, 7 months ago
Tried the given scenario with Lab , given answers (Yes, No, Yes) are correct.
upvoted 2 times
nick_name
3 years, 7 months ago
The suggested answer is correct! here's my opinion: If you don't understand this very simple question, you should not take an architect exam
upvoted 3 times
Villar
3 years, 7 months ago
So, I took the time to lab this and as it turns out, you should not have taken the architect exam because you fell for the trickery. After I shut VM3 down, I was still able to to reach across VM2 from 1 and 1 from 2. I checked the effective routes on the VMs and found out that the system routes were there even though the UDR takes precedence. The VMs still know how to reach one another using the system routes. To set up VM3: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/tutorial-create-route-table-portal#create-an-nva
upvoted 2 times
Rickii
3 years, 7 months ago
So correct answer yes yes yes
upvoted 1 times
gboyega
3 years, 9 months ago
YES NO YES
upvoted 10 times
Eddy0055
3 years, 10 months ago
Answer is Yes, No, Yes. Because I did it by myself, after turn off VM3 then VM1 and VM2 cannot reach each other.
upvoted 5 times
mosah
3 years, 10 months ago
The Answer is Yes - Yes - Yes : A subnet is a range of IP addresses in the VNet. You can divide a VNet into multiple subnets for organization and security. Each NIC in a VM is connected to one subnet in one VNet. NICs connected to subnets (same or different) within a VNet can communicate with each other without any extra configuration.
upvoted 1 times
Test_Taker
3 years, 9 months ago
UDRs take precedence over system routes.
upvoted 3 times
Rajuuu
4 years ago
yes no and yes
upvoted 3 times
sumitbagga05
4 years, 1 month ago
I have created a same lab for this. And verified answer is correct.
upvoted 4 times
zxsxkwmz
3 years, 8 months ago
Then you would have also noticed that one of these boxes is incorrect.
upvoted 1 times
Mail2KevinD
3 years, 7 months ago
which box is incorrect?
upvoted 1 times
Ash_123
4 years, 1 month ago
One thing that is not clear to me is when route table is configured as Address Prefix - 10.0.1.0/24, Next hop Type - Virtual Appliance, Next hop Address - 10.0.3.4. Then doesn't it mean that it allows connectivity from subnet 1 (10.0.1.0/24) to VM3 so in other words VM1 can establish connection with VM3 but is vice cersa also true? i.e. can VM3 also establish netwrok connection with VM1, is it bi-directional?
upvoted 2 times
JoeArun4u
3 years, 9 months ago
Can someone respond this question. I too need an answer for this.
upvoted 1 times
zxsxkwmz
3 years, 8 months ago
Just replicated this exact layout and yes, it is bi-directional.
upvoted 2 times
Benkyoujin
4 years, 3 months ago
What is this question? All on same vnet so can talk to each other by default. The routes being added even require traffic to devices in the same subnet to go through the NVA, too?
upvoted 3 times
lorimer1
4 years, 3 months ago
All yes. All subnets within a vnet are routable to each other by default i.e. the routing provided by VM3 is unecessary (seems to be a trick question?)
upvoted 8 times
Mathew
4 years, 3 months ago
The routing table entry for subnet2 still there so it it will forward traffic to vm3. connection fail
upvoted 6 times
tartar
3 years, 7 months ago
Yes, No, Yes
upvoted 4 times
tubadc
4 years, 3 months ago
I think its yes, no, yes like suggested. "You apply RT1 to Subnet1 and Subnet2" if you apply the route table to subnet2 it will not get to subnet1, only using the forward on the subnet3... i think...
upvoted 5 times
CapSandy
3 years, 11 months ago
You are referring to the default routes that will act to allow traffic within all subnets under a Vnet. But when a UDR is in place, it overrides and takes precedence. And hence route goes via VM3 and since it shutdown it drops the traffic.
upvoted 3 times
Villar
3 years, 7 months ago
It takes precedence, yes. However, when it is not available, system routes would take over. The answer should be yes, yes, yes.
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...