Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam AZ-104 topic 4 question 14 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's AZ-104
Question #: 14
Topic #: 4
[All AZ-104 Questions]

You plan to move a distributed on-premises app named App1 to an Azure subscription.
After the planned move, App1 will be hosted on several Azure virtual machines.
You need to ensure that App1 always runs on at least eight virtual machines during planned Azure maintenance.
What should you create?

• A. one virtual machine scale set that has 10 virtual machines instances
  • B. one Availability Set that has three fault domains and one update domain
  • C. one Availability Set that has 10 update domains and one fault domain
  • D. one virtual machine scale set that has 12 virtual machines instances
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C ūüó≥ÔłŹ
An update domain is a logical group of underlying hardware that can undergo maintenance or be rebooted at the same time. As you create VMs within an availability set, the Azure platform automatically distributes your VMs across these update domains. This approach ensures that at least one instance of your application always remains running as the Azure platform undergoes periodic maintenance.
Reference:
http://www.thatlazyadmin.com/azure-fault-update-domains/

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
mlantonis
Highly Voted 2 years, 6 months ago
Correct Answer: A VM Scale Set consists of a set of identically configured VMs. Availability Set consists of a set of discrete VMs. No more than 20% of the Scale Set upgrading at any time, then 2 machines out of 10 will have maintenance, the 8 remaining VMs will be up. Virtual machine scale sets are created with five fault domains by default in Azure regions with no zones. For the regions that support zonal deployment of virtual machine scale sets and this option is selected, the default value of the fault domain count is 1 for each of the zones. FD=1 in this case implies that the VM instances belonging to the scale set will be spread across many racks on a best effort basis. Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/manage-availability https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/build-app-with-scale-sets/2-features-benefits-virtual-machine-scale-sets https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machine-scale-sets/virtual-machine-scale-sets-automatic-upgrade
upvoted 217 times
UWSFish
7 months, 2 weeks ago
I agree with everyone here saying that answer C will do the job. I wouldn't get hunf up on that. The final line does not say, "which of these choices will meet the requirements". it says, "What SHOULD you create" (emphasis mine). Which of the options is cleanest, most elegant, way forward. Clearly A.
upvoted 3 times
KingHalik
1 week, 3 days ago
I think you cannot create an availability set with more then one update and only one fault domain.
upvoted 1 times
nightfxll
5 months, 3 weeks ago
Try making it and you can't. Only 1 update domain can be made if there is 1 fault domain and vice versa.
upvoted 5 times
garmatey
7 months, 4 weeks ago
What part of the question indicates if the VMs are identical or discrete?
upvoted 1 times
morito
8 months, 3 weeks ago
"Virtual machine scale sets are created with five fault domains by default in Azure regions" I believe you're speaking of update domains?
upvoted 3 times
fedztedz
Highly Voted 2 years, 12 months ago
Answer is wrong. The correct Answer is A. First: in case you created on fault domain, you are limited with one update domain. You can test this. Second: By default, Azure uses 5 update domains and up to 3 fault domains. So, In case you created 10 vm in scale set. then you will have 2 vm in each update domain. So once one update domain is not available, then you get 4 domains with 8 vms as required.
upvoted 206 times
MEG_Florida
3 months, 3 weeks ago
I dont follow. You can have up to 20 UD per Avaibility set. So why are you talking about defaults when it clearly says they created 10 Update domains, which can be on a single FD. (you can have up to 3 FDs, but its not defined by the number of UDs specifically). So you have One VM per Update Domain. 1 Update Domain is down per the cycle, leaving 9 up. Technically A and C are good, but I would normally go with C so that I have power fault tolerance as well and I would configure all 3 FDs so you dont hav a single point of power failure. In this case they only used 1FD, so its not a good choice to me.. So I would go with A also, but I just dont agree with what you typed
upvoted 4 times
agupt
2 years, 5 months ago
Answer: C is correct. By Default 5 update domain but can have up to 20 update domain. "Within an availability set, individual VMs are spread across up to 20 update domains. During scheduled maintenance, only one update domain is updated at any given time. Update domains aren't necessarily updated sequentially." https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/maintenance-and-updates?bc=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fazure%2Fbread%2Ftoc.json&toc=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fazure%2Fvirtual-machine-scale-sets%2Ftoc.json
upvoted 12 times
dandynamite
1 year, 11 months ago
C is incorrect, you can not create 5 UP on 1 FD. So A is correct, there will be 3 FD and 5 UD as default.
upvoted 2 times
MEG_Florida
3 months, 3 weeks ago
This is not true, not sure where you got this information, but its not true. Since an availability set can have up to 20 UPD and 3 FD, that would mean that the availability set would put more than 5 on a single FD
upvoted 1 times
Shailen
2 years, 5 months ago
Yes C is correct as per senior member of Microsoft community forum, URL below: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure/please-could-you-explain-why-the-c-option-is-the-correct-answer/m-p/2097168
upvoted 5 times
MicroHead
2 years, 3 months ago
His explanation essentially says that A is correct though. Azure has 5 update domains per each scale set by default. If one is down for maintenance, you will have 8 VMs available, given you have 2 VMs per update domain.
upvoted 3 times
ZacAz104
1 year, 2 months ago
Question says "during planned Azure maintenance" this has nothing to do with Scale set definition so i think C is correct we need Availability set nor Scale set
upvoted 24 times
eduardokm
4 months ago
And it is not possible to create an Availability Set with only one fault domain and 10 update domains.
upvoted 2 times
93d821b
Most Recent 8 hours, 18 minutes ago
Tested in lab, its not possible to create an Availability Set with only one fault domain and 10 update domains. so C can't be right. I
upvoted 1 times
Bresic
1 month, 1 week ago
Guys, WTF is going on here? C just can't be the good answer. First: I've just tried to create a new availability set. If the FD range-input is set to 1, then the UD range-input instantly gets disabled, and an info text box appears saying exactly this: "‚ĄĻ The update domain count must be 1 when fault domain count is 1." Second: Even if it would be possible to create the Availability Set this way, then it still would be empty. There won't be a single VM in it by default. IMHO in this case the answer should be something like "create an Availability Set and 10 VMs", or something like that, otherwise there will be exactly zero running VMs during that planned maintenance. Or anyway, how much VM will be deployed in this Availability Set after the planned move, based on answer C? 1? 8? 9? 10? 20? Or, what if it doesn't support the managed disks of the VMs? I think if we only stick to the original statements, without making any assumptions, then it's a right concern.
upvoted 2 times
donniedarko
1 month, 4 weeks ago
Selected Answer: C
Correct Answer: C The question says during "Planned maintenance" so you look at Update domains NOT Fault domains like Answer A.
upvoted 1 times
XtraWest
2 months, 2 weeks ago
Azure Availability Set as per Chat GPT
upvoted 1 times
maxsteele
2 months, 1 week ago
ChatGPT can be wrong, it makes things up. ChatGPT or any AI is not a bastion of truth. If you say C is correct you need to provide real sources
upvoted 2 times
rikininetysix
2 months, 2 weeks ago
Selected Answer: D
Both ChatGPT & Bing Chat points to option 'D'. To ensure that App1 always runs on at least eight virtual machines during planned Azure maintenance, you should choose option D: one virtual machine scale set that has 12 virtual machine instances. Option D (one virtual machine scale set that has 12 virtual machine instances) allows you to set up a scalable group of virtual machines where you can specify the desired instance count. During planned maintenance or scaling events, you can ensure that at least eight virtual machines are always running while having the flexibility to scale up or down based on your needs.
upvoted 1 times
AntaninaD
2 months, 3 weeks ago
Got this question on 09/09/23 selected A
upvoted 4 times
c7d45f4
2 months, 3 weeks ago
Selected Answer: A
You need to have more than 1 fault domain in order to increase the number of update domains to 10. With one fault domain it only allows one update domain..
upvoted 2 times
raj_raj22
2 months, 4 weeks ago
when you choose 1 FD, it wont allow more than one UD. So C is wrong
upvoted 1 times
Lapiduse
3 months ago
Availability Set with 2 fault domains and 10 update domains Availability Set with 3 fault domains and 15 update domains Availability Set with 4 fault domains and 20 update domains So we can't make "C" answer Answer is "A"
upvoted 1 times
Lapiduse
3 months ago
Availability Set with 2 fault domains and 10 update domains Availability Set with 3 fault domains and 15 update domains Availability Set with 4 fault domains and 20 update domains So We can't make "C" answer. Answer is A.
upvoted 1 times
CarlosMarin
3 months ago
This question was in my exam on 31/08/2023.
upvoted 3 times
ajdann
3 months ago
I tested it. If you put one fault domain, then you can have only one update domain...
upvoted 1 times
oopspruu
3 months, 2 weeks ago
Tested in Lab on 17/08/2023 If you try to create an Availability Set with 1 Fault Domain, you can only choose 1 update domain. The minimum number of fault domains needs to be 2 in order to set 10 update domains. So C cannot be the answer. Answer is A.
upvoted 2 times
RickySmith
3 months, 2 weeks ago
A,D This question has not been well thought out. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machine-scale-sets/virtual-machine-scale-sets-faq#do-scale-sets-work-with-azure-availability-sets- A regional (non-zonal) scale set is setup with a minimum of 5 fault domains and 5 update domains. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machine-scale-sets/virtual-machine-scale-sets-automatic-upgrade#how-does-automatic-os-image-upgrade-work - To minimize the application downtime, upgrades take place in batches, with no more than 20% of the scale set upgrading at any time 80% of 10 would be 8, 80% of 12 would be 10(9.6 rounded up as it is atleast 80%. so a scale set with 10 or 12 would do the job. A would be correct only if they had asked for the minimum required for this.
upvoted 1 times
GoldenDisciple2
3 months, 3 weeks ago
I think for the purpose of passing the exam, C is correct. I'm no expert but the key phrase here is "planned Azure maintenance" which is EXACTLY what an update domain was made for, planned maintenance and upgrades. I don't feel like this question is as much about being technically correct as it is about reading comprehension/context clues... After reading all of the comments I kind of second guessed my answer choice but fault domains are designed for some sort of outage while update domains are made for PLANNED outages... *Drops the mic*
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...