Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam AZ-104 topic 5 question 44 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's AZ-104
Question #: 44
Topic #: 5
[All AZ-104 Questions]

HOTSPOT -
You have an Azure virtual machine named VM1 that connects to a virtual network named VNet1. VM1 has the following configurations:
✑ Subnet: 10.0.0.0/24
✑ Availability set: AVSet
✑ Network security group (NSG): None
✑ Private IP address: 10.0.0.4 (dynamic)
✑ Public IP address: 40.90.219.6 (dynamic)
You deploy a standard, Internet-facing load balancer named slb1.
You need to configure slb1 to allow connectivity to VM1.
Which changes should you apply to VM1 as you configure slb1? To answer, select the appropriate options in the answer area.
NOTE: Each correct selection is worth one point.
Hot Area:

Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer:
Change the private IP address of VM1 to static
Box 1: Remove the public IP address from VM1
Note: A public load balancer can provide outbound connections for virtual machines (VMs) inside your virtual network. These connections are accomplished by translating their private IP addresses to public IP addresses. Public Load Balancers are used to load balance internet traffic to your VMs.
Box 2: Create and configure an NSG
NSGs are used to explicitly permit allowed traffic. If you do not have an NSG on a subnet or NIC of your virtual machine resource, traffic is not allowed to reach this resource.
Reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/load-balancer/load-balancer-overview

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
mlantonis
Highly Voted 2 years, 11 months ago
Correct Answer: Box 1: Remove the public IP address from VM1 Note: A public load balancer can provide outbound connections for virtual machines (VMs) inside your virtual network. These connections are accomplished by translating their private IP addresses to public IP addresses. Public Load Balancers are used to load balance internet traffic to your VMs. Load balancer and the public IP address SKU must match when you use them with public IP addresses. Only Basic SKU IPs work with the Basic SKU load balancer and only Standard SKU IPs work with Standard SKU load balancers. Box 2: Create and configure an NSG NSGs are used to explicitly permit allowed traffic. If you do not have an NSG on a subnet or NIC of your virtual machine resource, traffic is not allowed to reach this resource.
upvoted 162 times
SentaSama
1 year, 9 months ago
I think its more about the SKU of the IP and LB. The SKUs of the IP and LB need to match. As Dynamic IPs are if SKU Basic, this doesn't work with the standard LB. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/ip-services/public-ip-addresses#sku
upvoted 1 times
mlantonis
2 years, 11 months ago
Note: You can only attach virtual machines that are in the same location and on the same virtual network as the LB. Also, when adding them to a backend pool, it doesn’t matter in which status are the VMs.   Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/aks/load-balancer-standard https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/public-ip-addresses https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52882024/cannot-add-vm-to-standard-azure-load-balancer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/load-balancer/skus https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/load-balancer/backend-pool-management
upvoted 25 times
Netspud
2 years, 3 months ago
Box 1: Remove Publilc IP. But not seen anything that was forcing this as the option. Found this "The default outbound access IP is disabled when a public IP address is assigned to the virtual machine, or the virtual machine is placed in the backend pool of a Standard Load Balancer with or without outbound rules. If a Azure Virtual Network NAT gateway resource is assigned to the subnet of the virtual machine, the default outbound access IP is disabled." here : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/load-balancer/quickstart-load-balancer-standard-public-portal?tabs=option-1-create-load-balancer-standard. My big issues is I don't see any of the answers as a "MUST". Typical MS question.
upvoted 2 times
Holydud
1 year, 8 months ago
Was on exam 19 Aug 2022. Scored 870. Around 85% questions were also on ET. Answered: Box1: Remove the public IP address from VM1 Box2: Create and configure an NSG
upvoted 13 times
Pradh
Highly Voted 2 years, 3 months ago
Guys !! its simple! Don't get confused with complicated text book explanation in comment section . 1) Remove Public IP address from VM1 --> Reason being when you create a LB and add VM to backend pool make sure VM doesn't have a Public IP assigned to it . 2) Create and configure an NSG . --> key thing to notice in question is "STANDAR LB " . Backend pool VM in standard LB should compulsorily have NSG associated to it and configured with required port to be allowed. I created an LB with Basic sku and not standard.. Example : With basic sku LB i was able to connect vm via rdp without any nsg.. Now when I tested with standard LB I had to configure and NSG for the vm nic and allow port 3389 to rdp it.. Without nsg it won't allow to connect
upvoted 40 times
tashakori
Most Recent 1 month, 1 week ago
- Create and assign NSG to VM1 - Remove the public IP Adress from VM1
upvoted 1 times
1828b9d
1 month, 3 weeks ago
This question was in exam 01/03/2024
upvoted 2 times
Ganchev
7 months ago
I am a bit confused. Just testet the scenario and I was able to SSH access the VM1 over LB1's FrontEnd IP. No NSG exists, VM1 has its Public IP and even that no problem to SSH from home PC.
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
4 months, 1 week ago
Did you create a Standard or a Basic LB? The scenario you are describing seems to be related to a Basic LB which allows connection by default whilst a Standard LB needs a NSG to be attached to it in order to filter connections. The question specifies a Standard LB so I believe you need a NSG to achieve the goal described in the scenario.
upvoted 1 times
vbohr899
1 year, 1 month ago
Cleared Exam today 26 Feb, This question was there in exam.
upvoted 3 times
GBAU
1 year, 2 months ago
Summary: There is no correct answer for Box 1 or 2 Maybe historically there were limitations but as Feb 2023, they do not apply. Justification: Lab Test Results (Feb '23): Created Standard SKU LB Created VM (FreeBSD) with : -Basic PIP -Dynamic LIP -In an Availability Set -NO Network Security Group Attempted to create a Backend Pool in the LB: -I could create a BackEnd pool (IP Configuration) on the LB and add this VM above to the Backend pool of the LB. So there is actually NOTHING you MUST do to CREATE the backend pool. There is no correct answer for Box 1 NEXT I created a new load balancing rule for TCP22 on the LB to the backend pool with the VM in it. Succeeded no problem Attempted Connection to FrontEnd PIP of LB on TCP22 in Putty and got the certificate pop up you would accept. Accepted the certificate and got the login prompt So there is actually NOTHING you MUST do to CONNECT to VM1 from the LB There is no correct answer for Box 2 It was all good practice for me for my exam anyway :)
upvoted 3 times
klexams
1 year, 6 months ago
box1: remove IP because dynamic IP is not compatible with standard LB. box2: NSG because Standard load balancer is built on the zero trust network security model. Standard load balancers and standard public IP addresses are closed to inbound connections unless opened by Network Security Groups.
upvoted 5 times
EmnCours
1 year, 8 months ago
Given Answer
upvoted 1 times
Dumber
1 year, 9 months ago
please see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/load-balancer/load-balancer-overview#securebydefault - Standard load balancer is built on the zero trust network security model. - Standard Load Balancer is secure by default and part of your virtual network. The virtual network is a private and isolated network. - Standard load balancers and standard public IP addresses are closed to inbound connections unless opened by Network Security Groups. NSGs are used to explicitly permit allowed traffic. If you don't have an NSG on a subnet or NIC of your virtual machine resource, traffic isn't allowed to reach this resource. To learn about NSGs and how to apply them to your scenario, see Network Security Groups. - Basic load balancer is open to the internet by default. - Load balancer doesn't store customer data.
upvoted 3 times
Lazylinux
1 year, 10 months ago
Given Answer is correct and mlantonis is well explained
upvoted 2 times
Scoobysnaks86
1 year, 10 months ago
Just tested in the Azure portal. I was able to put the VM in the backend pool WITHOUT a NSG. The dynamic IP addresses are not compatible with a standard load balancer, as those IP's are basic. Basic Ip's cannot be mixed and used with a standard LB. The dynamic addresses had to be deleted from the NIC, and a static one created. mlantonis actually wrong on this one. Also, front facing LB's do not need Vms with public IP addresses as they have one themselves. Delete it Box 1: Remove the public IP address from VM1 Box2: Change Private IP address to static again, you do not need a NSG to connect a VM to a backend pool
upvoted 2 times
vinsom
12 months ago
Pls check this - For a standard load balancer, the VMs in the backend pool are required to have network interfaces that belong to a network security group. Link: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/load-balancer/quickstart-load-balancer-standard-public-cli
upvoted 1 times
Dobby25
2 years, 1 month ago
Received this on my exam today 19/03/2022
upvoted 1 times
josevirtual
2 years, 1 month ago
I think that Box1 should be to change the private IP to static. If I understood well the documentation, you need both a static private IP address and a NSG. Box 1 asks what you "must" do. I don't think you "must" delete the public IP address, it just won't work.
upvoted 1 times
FabioVi
2 years, 3 months ago
Correct. Regarding box 2, reason is because Standard Load Balancer is "Closed to inbound flows unless allowed by a network security group" https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/load-balancer/skus#skus
upvoted 3 times
marco_aimi
2 years, 4 months ago
guys, joke? Dinamic for LB??????????????
upvoted 3 times
chaudha4
2 years, 8 months ago
Verified it in Azure by setting this up. Box 1: Remove the public IP address from VM1 - You can only attach virtual machines in the backend pool that have a standard SKU public IP configuration or no public IP configuration. Since the Public IP of VM is dynamic, the IP must be a Basic SKU IP. You cannot add such a VM (with Basic SKU IP) to a standard SKU load balancer. The VM does not even show up in the backend pool portal for selection unless you remove the public IP or convert it to a Standard SKU IP. Box 2: Create and configure an NSG - Standard load balancer is built on the zero trust network security model. Standard load balancers and standard public IP addresses are closed to inbound connections unless opened by Network Security Groups. NSGs are used to explicitly permit allowed traffic.
upvoted 12 times
Mozbius_
2 years, 1 month ago
Thank you for the precision / explanation.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...