Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam PL-300 topic 1 question 3 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's PL-300
Question #: 3
Topic #: 1
[All PL-300 Questions]

For the sales department at your company, you publish a Power BI report that imports data from a Microsoft Excel file located in a Microsoft SharePoint folder.
The data model contains several measures.
You need to create a Power BI report from the existing data. The solution must minimize development effort.
Which type of data source should you use?

• A. Power BI dataset
  • B. a SharePoint folder
  • C. Power BI dataflows
  • D. an Excel workbook
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️
Connect to a SharePoint folder from Power Query Desktop
To connect to a SharePoint folder:
1. From Get Data, select SharePoint folder.
2. Paste the SharePoint site URL you copied in Determine the site URL to the Site URL text box in the SharePoint folder dialog box. In this example, the site URL is https://contoso.sharepoint.com/marketing/data. If the site URL you enter is invalid, a warning icon. warning icon will appear next to the URL text box.

Select OK to continue.
3. If this is the first time you've visited this site address, select the appropriate authentication method. Enter your credentials and choose which level to apply these settings to. Then select Connect.
4. When you select the SharePoint folder you want to use, the file information about all of the files in that SharePoint folder are displayed. In addition, file information about any files in any subfolders is also displayed.

5. Etc.
Reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/sharepointfolder

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Nomios
Highly Voted 1 year, 7 months ago
It should be dataset, because the case states there is already a report published and the datamodel contains measures. therefore and to be able to use the measures in the datamodel you should connect to the existing dataset (which was created when you plublished the report) instead of starting from scratch with the files in the SharePoint folder.
upvoted 103 times
NatRob
1 year, 5 months ago
After reading the question multiple times, the biggest takeaway is that its asking directly for data. A SharePoint folder HOLDS data, but it is not data itself. I agree with this and think its the existing dataset
upvoted 3 times
Hoeishetmogelijk
1 year, 5 months ago
The question is confusing because it doesn't tell clearly that there are two reports. So the second report can reuse the dataset of the first one.
upvoted 8 times
bbshu0801
1 year, 3 months ago
Yea, I think so.
upvoted 1 times
ZSun
9 months, 2 weeks ago
I think the question is clear: Publish the first report, and then create the second report from dataset of the first report
upvoted 8 times
LOCOBI
1 month, 3 weeks ago
The question also implies that there is a report already created, so using the PBI dataset will include the calculated metrics
upvoted 1 times
cabbagepie
1 year, 1 month ago
can you provide documentation/reference links on this please?
upvoted 1 times
Shalaleh
1 year, 1 month ago
if I buy the Contributor version, does it has the correct answers?
upvoted 3 times
Maria86
1 year ago
no, with contributer access, you only have access to all the questions and can avoid captcha ... but apart from that it's the same
upvoted 3 times
Sandeep_kumar_yadav
4 months, 3 weeks ago
Does it have more than 250 questions in contributor access?
upvoted 1 times
Green13
6 months, 2 weeks ago
The answer is Sharepoint folder. The data model was for the previously published PowerBi report. Creating a new report from existing data refers to all Sales data on the sharepoint folder.
upvoted 5 times
rashjan
Highly Voted 1 year, 7 months ago
Selected Answer: A
reuse the existing dataset.
upvoted 23 times
canopus112
Most Recent 2 days, 8 hours ago
Selected Answer: B
Answer is B. Even though there was a published page before, they are trying to create a NEW report which you have to use the sharepoint folder url to get access to the files. lol
upvoted 1 times
dataguy1
2 weeks, 4 days ago
Hi , im preparing for the 'Microsoft Certified: Power BI Data Analyst Associate' cirt. Ive completed all modules that were on the Syllabus twice and there was no mention of the dataverse. I can see its Power app module thats not on the syllabus...does anyone have a comprehensive of all modules required?
upvoted 1 times
Uhoh
4 weeks ago
The question is: "Which type of data source should you use?" The Power BI dataset is NOT a data source. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-data-sources Thus, since it should have minimal developing impact, it should be answer B "Sharepoint folder".
upvoted 3 times
chelchoul
5 days, 20 hours ago
Power BI dataset is litteraly the 2nd option of your link. Answer is A
upvoted 1 times
b7c21a9
1 month ago
28-Mar-24 - This Q came up. Blitzed all 266 Q's on Exam Topics and Scored 813/1000. Only 1 question out of the 50 wasn't on the test.
upvoted 1 times
Jyothi988
1 month ago
Sharepoint
upvoted 1 times
LOCOBI
1 month, 3 weeks ago
Dataset included calculated tables, while a data flow is a collection of tables.
upvoted 1 times
oOHichamOo
1 month, 4 weeks ago
A is the answer: I am not convinced with B, the published dataset is already connected to the existing data, and to minimize effort of modeling and creating all the measures you will just reuse everything
upvoted 1 times
28485e1
2 months ago
This one was on my test.
upvoted 1 times
Krichounette
2 months, 1 week ago
For me is the answer A. the keywords for me are: you publish and not you want to publish or you will publish."Existing Data". Also, the solution must 'minimize developement effort' . If we want to minimize the effort, we won't do the same thing with reconnecting to the sharepoint folder.
upvoted 1 times
user28272615
2 months, 2 weeks ago
Was at the exam today on February 12th 2024
upvoted 3 times
paocard
2 months, 3 weeks ago
This question was on my exam last 02-02-2024
upvoted 3 times
Andreasdest
3 months ago
you shall connect to the existing & published PowerBI dataset in order to minimize development effort and reuse the measures. If you connect to SP folder, then you shall start building from scratch
upvoted 1 times
SHENOOOO
3 months, 1 week ago
The Dataset is already there, and the question mentioned that we should minimize development, so the dataset and measures are already existing. A should be the correct answer.
upvoted 1 times
Briarheart1096
3 months, 2 weeks ago
This Question appeared in the Mock Exam provided in Coursera Power BI course and has Sharepoint Folder as the correct answer. Even though i think it should be Dataset
upvoted 3 times
Masamune1
3 months, 3 weeks ago
Without a shadow of a doubt, if we want to create a report in PowerBI from a data model that contains measurements, we need to connect directly to that model, so we will use the Power BI Datasets option, if we connected to a Sharepoint folder , we would start from an excel file and nothing could be reused from the data model and its measurements.
upvoted 3 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...