Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam PL-300 topic 1 question 10 discussion

Actual exam question from Microsoft's PL-300
Question #: 10
Topic #: 1
[All PL-300 Questions]

You have a CSV file that contains user complaints. The file contains a column named Logged. Logged contains the date and time each complaint occurred. The data in Logged is in the following format: 2018-12-31 at 08:59.
You need to be able to analyze the complaints by the logged date and use a built-in date hierarchy.
What should you do?

• A. Apply a transformation to extract the last 11 characters of the Logged column and set the data type of the new column to Date.
  • B. Change the data type of the Logged column to Date.
  • C. Split the Logged column by using at as the delimiter.
  • D. Apply a transformation to extract the first 11 characters of the Logged column.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: D 🗳️
Extract the date, which is the first 11 characters.
CSV files have no data types.
Note: A CSV is a comma-separated values file, which allows data to be saved in a tabular format. CSVs look like a garden-variety spreadsheet but with a . csv extension. CSV files can be used with most any spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel or Google Spreadsheets.
Reference:
https://www.bigcommerce.com/ecommerce-answers/what-csv-file-and-what-does-it-mean-my-ecommerce-business/

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
_Jay_
Highly Voted 1 year, 7 months ago
Selected Answer: C
Answer C is best approach Split the Logged column by using "at" as the delimiter.
upvoted 80 times
Fiedleer
1 week, 5 days ago
Discordo! Pois a pergunta diz que é apenas pra extrair a informação e, não pra dividir a coluna. A resposta correta é D.
upvoted 1 times
GuerreiroJunior
1 year, 4 months ago
Agreed with you Jay
upvoted 1 times
AFarag
1 year, 2 months ago
delimiter uses only one character, so "at" is not valid
upvoted 6 times
nevesrf
1 year, 2 months ago
You can make it by choosing "custom" delimiter
upvoted 23 times
Sjefen
1 year, 7 months ago
Correct!
upvoted 3 times
Meebler
Highly Voted 1 year, 4 months ago
C, You should split the Logged column by using "at" as the delimiter. This will allow you to separate the date and time into separate columns, which will enable you to analyze the complaints by date and use a built-in date hierarchy. Alternatively, you could also use a transformation to extract the date and time from the Logged column and set the data type of the new columns to Date and Time, respectively. Option A is incorrect because it only extracts the last 11 characters of the Logged column, which would not include the date. Option B is incorrect because the data in the Logged column is in a non-standard date format and cannot be directly converted to the Date data type. Option D is incorrect because it only extracts the first 11 characters of the Logged column, which would not include the time.
upvoted 32 times
AFarag
1 year, 2 months ago
delimiter uses only one character, so "at" is not valid
upvoted 3 times
cabbagepie
1 year, 1 month ago
You actually can do that if you click on the "Select or enter delimiter" in the "Split Column by Delimiter" window that pops up after you click on "Split Column" in the "Transform" tab on top of your Power BI window. After you select the --Custom-- option from the drop down menu in the "Select or enter delimiter" drop down list, you can write "at" in the text box that appears below the drop down list.
upvoted 10 times
dodoinparis
9 months, 3 weeks ago
Correct answer
upvoted 1 times
Deva_1
Most Recent 2 days, 3 hours ago
we can split 2018-12-31 at 08:59. using Space (" ") as delimiter and then will remove column where "at" is present.
upvoted 1 times
shahrzadkhb
1 week, 3 days ago
The correct answer is definitely C. In the power query editor, you can customized split it by 'at'. Once you do it, it would result in giving you two column, one of them containing the date with the date datatype, and the other containing time with the time datatype. Once you apply and close it, in the power bi report, you can see that you have a date hierarchy.
upvoted 1 times
9f73003
1 week, 4 days ago
Wouldn't it be the first 10 characters you would want to extract? I believe D works, but you would need the additional step of changing the data type to Date, since you will be using a hierarchy.
upvoted 1 times
B should be the answer, "analyze the complaints by the logged date".
upvoted 1 times
ab97776
4 weeks, 1 day ago
I'm a newcomer to all things PowerBI. I attempted to create sample data and chose to implement option B and I encountered an error. It's possible there was an oversight on my part. Option D proved successful for me. Although I haven't experimented with option C, I anticipate it could potentially work based on its methodology. However, my reservation with option C lies in its inclusion of time data, which seems unnecessary for the analysis at hand. The initial question does not clarify the importance of retaining time information, leading me to believe that extraneous data, which does not directly support our analysis, could be omitted for efficiency. I keep getting hinted at that unnecessary data complicates analysis without adding value. Furthermore, as mentioned by a previous commenter, option D is not only suitable but also faster than C, which enhances its appeal for data processing tasks.
upvoted 2 times
B should be the answer
upvoted 1 times
Przemo__
1 month ago
I checked both C and D work. Delimiter should be custom and " at " with spaces before and after. As D is faster and you do not need time column, this is probably the correct answer.
upvoted 3 times
Uhoh
3 weeks, 6 days ago
Agree, both work. But since you don't need time and need to remove the "at" and "time" columns it'll be more work.
upvoted 1 times
Tharun_Idul
1 month, 1 week ago
Answer D is Correct. Since he is asking to extract only the date from that column, using "at" as a delimiter to split would separate the date and time into two different columns. This could result in unnecessary memory usage for the report.
upvoted 2 times
ggsss
1 month, 1 week ago
c is the correct answer
upvoted 2 times
TrainingCA06
1 month, 2 weeks ago
BE CAREFULL, QUESTION 10 AND 27ARE EXACTLY THE SAME, here the answer is D, but in 27 is C. incredible
upvoted 1 times
Giuditta
1 month, 2 weeks ago
there are two major issues with both C and D C have the wrong delimeter. "at" needs you to have a trim operation after the split. " at " (with a space before and after) will do the trick for us D we cannot be sure that different dates with month or days with just one units will be written as i.e. 2024-12-03 or 2024-12-3 making the fixed value of 11 character a bit confusing. mostly in dates like 2024-1-1 at 00:00:0000 where the first 11 characters are 2024-1-1 a i think that C will be better. in both cases the resulted columns need to have other transformation to be interpreted as date and not string
upvoted 1 times
moe33
1 month, 3 weeks ago
This Question appeared in the Mock Exam provided in Coursera Power BI course and has B. Change the data type of the Logged column to Date as the correct answer. Even though I think it should be "C"
upvoted 2 times
9f73003
1 week, 4 days ago
Yeah, you are correct that Coursera did include this question, and they said EXACTLY what you said, change data type to "date". That simply DOES NOT WORK. The answer should be "C", I even tested it and it does work. Use, " at ", as a custom delimiter. The issue, which is correct for the test?
upvoted 1 times
ajinkya42069
2 months ago
C is the correct option because when i did it practically splitting on the basis of "at" would make it 2 columns the date column would automatically have date datatype and other time column will have time datatype and that to automatically This would preserve our data and will not lead to dataloss as well hence C is the correct option in my opinion
upvoted 2 times
Dani_eL
2 months ago
Selected Answer: D
answer is D, apply a TRANSFORMATION; using a demo. create a csv with complaint id, complaint date(use the date format described in the example) Create new report -> transform data : opens Power Query editor New Sources -> csv Here comes the tricky part: when you import a csv, you can apply TRANSFORMATION on the fly; there is a button at the bottom left part of the window : Extract table using examples click that button, here comes the TRANSFORMATION You are presented with a form allowing you to pick up the fields and the data you want by example. Name your headers according to the csv headers and in the first data row, type the kind of data you want. For the logged column, you will type the date only. After import you will see that Query editor imported and converted your field in Date format. Finally, go to report view and expand your imported csv in the Data pane. You will see that Power BI created a date hierarchy
upvoted 1 times
Danialmellfoye
2 months, 1 week ago
I tried in my power bi editor and when I extract first 11 or 10 characters the datatype still in string format, but when I split with "at" the data type automatically changed to date and time So C is my choice
upvoted 3 times
user28272615
2 months, 2 weeks ago
This thing! It was at the exam today on February 12th 2024, question is annoying
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...