Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-501 topic 1 question 536 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-501
Question #: 536
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-501 Questions]

A user receives an email from ISP indicating malicious traffic coming from the user's home network is detected. The traffic appears to be Linux-based, and it is targeting a website that was recently featured on the news as being taken offline by an Internet attack. The only Linux device on the network is a home surveillance camera system.
Which of the following BEST describes what is happening?

• A. The camera system is infected with a bot.
  • B. The camera system is infected with a RAT.
  • C. The camera system is infected with a Trojan.
  • D. The camera system is infected with a backdoor.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: A 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
NeGaTiVeOnE
Highly Voted 4 years, 2 months ago
I am inclined to go with the provided answer. Key statement in the question is: "The traffic appears to be Linux-based, and it is targeting a website that was recently featured on the news as being taken offline by an Internet attack." If the compromised device is reaching out to a website that was recently brought down because of an internet attack, does that not sound like a DDoS? Which would tell me the camera was infected by a bot.
upvoted 27 times
success101
4 years, 2 months ago
Very good point. I agree and would choose A.
upvoted 3 times
M3rlin
Highly Voted 4 years, 1 month ago
Hooray, yet another bad question. Loving the guy who said 'it's not a backdoor' and called everybody retards.... rookie. I hack systems for love and money (HR are forcing me to complete this silly exam) and quite frankly, all the provided answers are valid. This usually means we need to identify some key aspect of what is happening in the questions scenario in order to get the best answer. For the attack, a Trojan is valid, but since the owner of the hardware probably didn't download and accidentally install anything on the device, it probably wasn't a Trojan in this case. Though this isn't entirely unfeasible. Could there be a backdoor. Absolutely yes. I might plant one so that I can attack again from the same location. Also, if there is a backdoor, this might be a RAT, which is why the writer of this question needs to be slapped. I will stick with the provided answer (A), since a common type of attack these days is to launch multiple IoT (the linux device) bots against a single target in order to overwhelm it. For an exam that allows under a minute per question, this one is idiotic and I'd sure like to question the writer as to his motives/reasoning. As really, any of the answers could allow the attack to take place.
upvoted 16 times
ClintBeavers
3 years, 11 months ago
You cant "infect" something with a backdoor. A backdoor can be left open, created, closed, whatever, but its not an infection either way.
upvoted 3 times
MortG7
Most Recent 3 years, 1 month ago
A. The camera system is infected with a bot. ----> It has become a zombied member of a botnet that is participating in a DOS attack ON---->website that was recently featured on the news as being taken offline by an Internet attack.
upvoted 1 times
AlexChen011
3 years, 1 month ago
How is this even possible to be "D"? This is A for sure, the attack made server offline - infected by bot
upvoted 1 times
mcNik
3 years, 2 months ago
Camera behaves like bot and part of a botnet. It does send traffic to website which recently was taken down by DDoS as it seems. To me Only possible is A despite shitty wording in the answer.
upvoted 2 times
hlwo
3 years, 6 months ago
correct key word " describes what is happening"
upvoted 1 times
vaxakaw829
3 years, 8 months ago
The case mentioned in the question is the same case with Mirai Botnet. I will not go into details about what happened but here is a good link for those who wonder: https://www.csoonline.com/article/3258748/the-mirai-botnet-explained-how-teen-scammers-and-cctv-cameras-almost-brought-down-the-internet.html The thing here, almost all the articles about the case calls Mirai as a malware and it's %100 true definition. Just for simplifying the case i'm rewriting what happened: Individiual components (IoTs mostly) infected via Mirai malware and turned into bots to be part of Mirai Botnet.
upvoted 1 times
vaxakaw829
3 years, 8 months ago
So, "The camera system is infected with a malware." If we look closer to the definition of malware, you can use these trustful links: https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ddos/glossary/mirai-botnet/ ; https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ddos/glossary/malware/ , it is a general term which can refer to viruses, worms, Trojans, ransomware, spyware, adware, and other types of harmful software. At first glance i picked RAT but after some research i think only Trojan is the BEST option because RAT has also another meaning: Remote Administration Tool.
upvoted 1 times
CSSJ
3 years, 6 months ago
RAT Remote Access Trojan
upvoted 1 times
babati
3 years, 8 months ago
Typically, an attacker will compromise one or two machines to use as handlers, masters, or herders. The handlers are used to compromise hundreds or thousands or millions of zombie (agent) PCs with DoS tools (bots) forming a botnet. To compromise a computer, the attacker must install a backdoor application that gives them access to the PC. They can then use the backdoor application to install DoS software and trigger the zombies to launch the attack at the same time.
upvoted 1 times
Kudojikuto
3 years, 9 months ago
Again, you cannot infect a system with a BOT. A bot is an infected system used in botnets to launch DDoS. RAT (Remote Access Trojan) is a type of infection that provides the means to access a remote system an run commands on it. RATs are used to create bots.
upvoted 3 times
Duranio
3 years, 9 months ago
The term "bot" can refer to an infected system used in botnets to launch DDoS. However it's not the only meaning; it also refer to a particular kind of software; from Wikipedia: "a bot is a SOFTWARE APPLICATION that runs automated tasks". Moreover the CompTIA Security+ syllabus at point 1.1 lists the "types of MALWARE" and include bots in the list (together with RAT, logic bombs, backdoors, spyware and so on). So in this contest bot is used to mean the malicious software (malware) which infects the system.
upvoted 5 times
thebottle
4 years ago
The malware (mirai) was the tool to place the bot software on the camera. Therefore A. The camera system is infected with a bot. Mirai (Japanese: 未来, lit. 'future') is a malware that turns networked devices running Linux into remotely controlled bots that can be used as part of a botnet in large-scale network attacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirai_(malware)
upvoted 8 times
Tzu
4 years ago
The Bot has been used to recruit as many hosts as possible to create a DDOS attack which is why the website is down.
upvoted 3 times
The_Temp
4 years, 1 month ago
We infect systems with malware, viruses or worms. Hence: A) You infect a system with malware and it becomes a bot. A bot isn't an infection. B) If you infect a system with a RAT then you can turn it into a bot. C) This answer is too generic. D) A backdoor is either left by the developer or an attacker can install a backdoor after compromising the system. You cannot infect a system with a backdoor. So based on the fact that B provides the only means of infecting a system with malware such that it can become a bot, I chose it as my answer.
upvoted 6 times
Teza
3 years, 7 months ago
The system does not become a bot, it becomes a zombie. Google bot is a malware/piece of code not a specific system
upvoted 1 times
Mesrop
4 years, 2 months ago
Yeah, I agree. "D" should be a correct answer.
upvoted 2 times
Disguy
4 years, 2 months ago
Correct answer, D. The camera system is infected with a backdoor. Trust me with this!
upvoted 2 times
Teza
3 years, 7 months ago
The camera is infected with a bot. It is a zombie that is part of a botnet. Option D cannot be the answer
upvoted 5 times
Pele9
3 years, 6 months ago
Wow. Check again please. It can't be D. It's most likely A.
upvoted 3 times
BillyKidd
3 years, 5 months ago
Why is it A?
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...