Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-501 topic 1 question 46 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-501
Question #: 46
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-501 Questions]

A security consultant discovers that an organization is using the PCL protocol to print documents, utilizing the default driver and print settings. Which of the following is the MOST likely risk in this situation?

• A. An attacker can access and change the printer configuration.
  • B. SNMP data leaving the printer will not be properly encrypted.
  • C. An MITM attack can reveal sensitive information.
  • D. An attacker can easily inject malicious code into the printer firmware.
  • E. Attackers can use the PCL protocol to bypass the firewall of client computers.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
GentleKnight
Highly Voted 3 years, 5 months ago
Reveal Solution : YES! Show comments : I'm going to fail.
upvoted 17 times
redondo310
Highly Voted 4 years, 4 months ago
This is #2 on my list of most ridiculous questions on the test. Keywords... PCL Protocol (this is client-side), Default Driver (client-side), Default Print Settings (printer side), Mostly Likely Risk... All keywords point to answer A. (to me). Their answer... Fact is that most printers have SNMP turned on by default for printer discover/status and community string is set to "public", so no, data is not encrypted. What about the fact it just said the printer is using the default print settings. Anyone can brute-force that attack very easily with known printer username/passwords. SNMP certainly would help to maybe identify the printer manufacture, but the default settings is MOST likely risk.
upvoted 13 times
gonation
Most Recent 1 year, 6 months ago
Selected Answer: C
A is wrong, a client submitting a PCL job (Printer Command Language) is not used to change the printer configuration. I suppose it would be technically possible in some instance by sending a malformed PCL job. SNMP writes can be used. B Submitting a print job does not usually trigger an SNMP response. Even if it did, SNMPv3 would be used to encrypt SNMP data. C Is correct - and attacker performing MITM can capture in transit the PCL data and rebuild the PCL print data and obtain a copy of the print job. An attacker can also perform a variation and spoof the printer and receive it's print jobs. D Technically may be possible, but not easy E is wrong. An attacker can use the PCL protocol to obtain the print job. Nothing related to bypassing host machine firewalls. Reference for answer C https://rootsecurity.nl/2013/12/28/capture-and-re-print-print-jobs-on-you-network/
upvoted 1 times
JRA3420
2 years, 10 months ago
What is PCL?! It's not mentioned in any of my study materials and isn't on CompTIA's exam objectives
upvoted 1 times
Shoresy
2 years, 10 months ago
B is the only guaranteed issue, and therefore MOST likely. All the others require outside interference (attacker) to occur, making it less than 100% chance to occur.
upvoted 1 times
Miltduhilt
3 years, 2 months ago
Answer: C Reference: http://hacking-printers.net/wiki/index.php/PCL
upvoted 2 times
Pablo666
3 years, 4 months ago
HA! If default configuration has set-up SNMP to public, then " SNMP data leaving the printer will not be properly encrypted" is MOST LIKELY risk in there. Just because it's happening right after turning on the printer. Other risks also may be fine but we need attacker to engage attack :) .
upvoted 3 times
Schrapnel
3 years, 4 months ago
But print settings are not printer settings; there is nothing in the question actually asking you about THE printer ...
upvoted 2 times
Groove120
3 years, 5 months ago
Probably B and C, but I'll stick with B based on following: https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/threats/printer-insecurity-issue-1149 Any of those except E seem plausible. These questions often are way too subjective for a logical/concise field of work. Questions simply leave too much to infer...
upvoted 2 times
DW_2020
3 years, 6 months ago
the question doesn't hint to anything regarding SNMP. PCL protocol is clear text and most likely attack would be to read or modify the print stream. I guess this is one of the questions you can write off in an exam.
upvoted 1 times
Hanzero
3 years, 7 months ago
They really want you to fail lol
upvoted 5 times
Dcfc_Doc
3 years, 7 months ago
Do you know if the answers given in the solution are correct? Im so confused and disheartened.
upvoted 2 times
saginin
3 years, 7 months ago
Simple Network Management Protocol is an Internet Standard protocol for collecting and organizing information about managed devices on IP networks and for modifying that information to change device behavior
upvoted 2 times
kentasmith
3 years, 8 months ago
I can't find squat on any of the answers above. Kapersky says this is how to protect your printer. I'll just go with B because nothing i have read can change my mind. Disable any printer settings that involve printing over the Internet. Change your username and password (if your printer uses login credentials); never keep the default values. Close router ports 9100, 515, and 721–731. See your router’s user manual to find out how. Turn off your printer when it’s not in use.
upvoted 1 times
kentasmith
3 years, 7 months ago
I did find a study some guys did at MIT that said using the printers default account you then could inject malicious firmware using ftp.
upvoted 1 times
TechHead
3 years, 8 months ago
you can inject malicious code into firmware via PCL printing. PCL print stream wound be encrypted, its in clear text, so you could monitor the traffic and see that print stream easily using packet sniffer. SNMP commands v1/v2 are default and set to read/write.. some printers are now only on read for better security.. you can actually reset print config using PCL print code code too.. the easy answer to go for would be C MITM attack can reveal sensitive data, the reason why is because the question talks about the default print driver/settings which wont have encrypt printjob with password/pin print enabled out of the box.. so again u can siff the print stream on the network easily..
upvoted 1 times
SQLinjector
3 years, 8 months ago
To me, C is the correct answer as this is the only answer with a real business risk in the situation of running something unencrypted and on a default config. The other things are just vulnerabilities but not necessarily materializing in a concrete risk as in the answer C
upvoted 1 times
[Removed]
3 years, 9 months ago
Annoying since SNMP is not mentioned at all
upvoted 1 times
thefoxx
3 years, 9 months ago
Ridiculous!
upvoted 3 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...