Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-501 topic 1 question 787 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-501
Question #: 787
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-501 Questions]

An administrator is disposing of media that contains sensitive information. Which of the following will provide the MOST effective method to dispose of the media while ensuring the data will be unrecoverable?

• A. Wipe the hard drive.
  • B. Shred the hard drive.
  • C. Sanitize all of the data.
  • D. Degauss the hard drive.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
WhitNL
2 years, 9 months ago
I chose degaussing at first. this is so tricky, because the question is only referring to the actual media on the drive so inn this case it would be degaussing, but if the physical hard drive itself is what the focus was in the question, shredding would've easily been my first choice. UGH.
upvoted 1 times
fonka
2 years, 9 months ago
Benefits of Hard Drive Shredding: Your sensitive data is now 100% unrecoverable, so you don’t have to worry at all about hackers seizing your data. You can ensure your business is in compliance with regulatory requirements, avoiding fines and potential lawsuits. For personal computers, your data will be safely destroyed without the worry of identity theft For hard drive disposal, consider hard drive shredding services that can offer complete and total destruction.
upvoted 1 times
fonka
2 years, 9 months ago
What is the pros and cons of shredding vs degausser Pros: A degausser is good if you want to completely erase all audio, video and data signals from the magnetic storage. Cons: Degaussing is not entirely fool-proof. It can only be used on magnetic media, and there is no way to guarantee that a particular degaussing machine is strong enough to destroy all the data on every hard drive.
upvoted 1 times
mid230
3 years, 1 month ago
watch the youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3Xa1h_RqM you will see how hard drives are shredded
upvoted 4 times
MortG7
3 years, 1 month ago
How in the world do you shred a hard drive?..a freaking metal box...and wipe the hard drive...with what? windex? and I don't even know what the hell sanitize the hard drive means..it is degaussing the hard drive (A degausser is simply a magnet that has a strong enough magnetic field to disrupt data on media storage units.)
upvoted 1 times
thefakecargo
3 years ago
you can shred a hard drive
upvoted 3 times
Jeff35
3 years, 1 month ago
Official CompTIA Sec+ Study guide: "Shredders are available for destroying CD and DVD media." I think compTIA makes a distinction between destroying HDDs and media devices.. Pulverizing for HDDs and Shredding for media devices (the question is talking about media). Its essentially the same thing, just different terminology for the specific object.
upvoted 1 times
Jeff35
3 years, 1 month ago
I just realized that the answers all say hard drive, but the question just says media. So my original post could be ignored.
upvoted 1 times
pauliez
3 years, 7 months ago
I've seen the same question and the answer was degaussing. How do you shred a hard drive?!
upvoted 1 times
Comptia501
3 years, 6 months ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3Xa1h_RqM
upvoted 5 times
Ramsey2020
3 years, 8 months ago
Degauss the hard drive. The same question asked before and has netter discussions. You cannot shred the hard drive. Degaussing guarantees the objective.
upvoted 4 times
babati
3 years, 8 months ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3Xa1h_RqM
upvoted 2 times
Teza
3 years, 8 months ago
The appropriate option in the question should have been pulverising
upvoted 3 times
exiledwl
3 years, 4 months ago
You CAN shred a hardrive...it's more costly but can be is more effective than degaussing because there is a chance that the device isn't degaussed properly. With shredding, you 100% know it worked and data is unrecoverable every time
upvoted 2 times
exiledwl
3 years, 4 months ago
More importantly degaussing does not work on SSD and the question does not specify what type of harddrive this is
upvoted 1 times
Diogenes_td
3 years, 9 months ago
I've seen variations of this question where the answer flips from wiping to pulverizing, to shredding without any criteria that I can follow
upvoted 4 times
Aerials
3 years, 9 months ago
Shredding/pulverizing is the best way to do this.
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...