Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-501 topic 1 question 48 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-501
Question #: 48
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-501 Questions]

A user suspects someone has been accessing a home network without permission by spoofing the MAC address of an authorized system. While attempting to determine if an authorized user is logged into the home network, the user reviews the wireless router, which shows the following table for systems that are currently on the home network.

Which of the following should be the NEXT step to determine if there is an unauthorized user on the network?

• A. Apply MAC filtering and see if the router drops any of the systems.
  • B. Physically check each of the authorized systems to determine if they are logged onto the network.
  • C. Deny the ג€unknownג€ host because the hostname is not known and MAC filtering is not applied to this host.
  • D. Conduct a ping sweep of each of the authorized systems and see if an echo response is received.
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: B 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
rahimtolba
Highly Voted 4 years, 4 months ago
Answer: B Keyword: "...determine if there is an unauthorized user on the network" The question is not looking for resolution, it does not ask to deny to prevent but determine and identify unauthorized users. Since this is a home network, and 4 devices are plugged on. The best next course of action is to physically check devices to find out which is legit.
upvoted 25 times
MelvinJohn
Highly Voted 4 years ago
B. "The NEXT step to DETERMINE if there is an unauthorized user" - if the hacker spoofed one of the MACs, then the MAC filter info is meaningless - the router thinks its authorized. My router shows my smart tv as "Unknown" but it's authorized by me. The only way to see if one of the MACs was spoofed is to shut off all of the known devices (Mom, Dad, Junior, and the smart tv) then check to see if one of the connections is still active. If so, then that MAC is being spoofed.
upvoted 10 times
MortG7
Most Recent 3 years, 2 months ago
A user suspects someone has been accessing a home network...home network is the key term here...small network with limited client that can be physically checked.
upvoted 2 times
who__cares123456789___
3 years, 3 months ago
AND JR PC is on a separate sub net...WTF...192.168.2.16?????
upvoted 4 times
who__cares123456789___
3 years, 3 months ago
Question must be worded wrong...why is the filter on for dad and jr? this means they cant be on the network, so it would do the attacker no good to spoof those two? I am confused,,,I am sure it is not "deny unknown tho...but Lead2Pass list that answer as correct and they claim 96% accuracy and charged me 100$
upvoted 1 times
who__cares123456789___
3 years, 3 months ago
Dude...you think he is spoofing...so if he is there, he will be spoofing either MOM DAD or JR...if you physically see one of them is offline, you know they are spoofed
upvoted 1 times
Huh
3 years, 3 months ago
Does nobody find it funny that one of the answers basically wants you to ping the attacker. Like hey man, you there bro, please respond.
upvoted 4 times
Hanzero
3 years, 7 months ago
It is B. You have to read carefully. We are just checking if a user is on the network and not denying or taking steps to remove the user from the network.
upvoted 1 times
maxjak
3 years, 8 months ago
how could i Physically check each of the authorized systems ?!!!
upvoted 2 times
rameces
3 years, 8 months ago
check it
upvoted 2 times
Tedaroo
3 years, 5 months ago
It's a home network, you walk around and look with your eyes.
upvoted 3 times
kentasmith
3 years, 8 months ago
I just received an update for a prep test and there is another question like this but the answer is D for conducting a ping sweep. If you are at home its simple to check all the home computers. I have done that before.
upvoted 3 times
kentasmith
3 years, 8 months ago
Yes. The difference in the two questions is that this one here is asking to verify if an unauthorized user is on the network and the other question is asking to verify if their is a rogue system on the network.
upvoted 4 times
Hot_156
3 years, 11 months ago
The "Unknown" doesnt mean it is the attacker... Watch out on the exam
upvoted 4 times
renegade_xt
3 years, 11 months ago
Answer: B Explanation: Can't be A or C because the question suggests the mac address is spoofed which can bypass the filter. D would be pointless.
upvoted 4 times
Dante_Dan
4 years, 1 month ago
I think the real key word is that the user suspects someone has been spoofing a MAC address, so MAC filtering does not really work. So the correct answer would be B.
upvoted 3 times
macshild
4 years, 4 months ago
other sources are saying C therefore it is C
upvoted 2 times
redondo310
4 years, 4 months ago
So if i apply MAC filtering with all of my known devices, and it drops the unknown (because I label my devices), wouldn't that identify it. Probably... Or I could walk all over the house to physically see if the computer is logged in, paying no attention the MAC, and ultimately doing nothing to prevent a second attack.
upvoted 1 times
Asmin
4 years, 7 months ago
It's SHSO so, limited devices are their that's why best answer in A.
upvoted 1 times
Kakster
2 years, 9 months ago
I would avoid A because an attacker can use MAC spoofing to gain access to networks utilising MAC filtering if any of the allowed MAC addresses are known to them.
upvoted 1 times
Basem
4 years, 8 months ago
I think it is physically check each system.
upvoted 1 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...