Welcome to ExamTopics
ExamTopics Logo
- Expert Verified, Online, Free.

Unlimited Access

Get Unlimited Contributor Access to the all ExamTopics Exams!
Take advantage of PDF Files for 1000+ Exams along with community discussions and pass IT Certification Exams Easily.

Exam SY0-501 topic 1 question 541 discussion

Actual exam question from CompTIA's SY0-501
Question #: 541
Topic #: 1
[All SY0-501 Questions]

A security administrator suspects that a DDoS attack is affecting the DNS server. The administrator accesses a workstation with the hostname of workstation01 on the network and obtains the following output from the ipconfig command:

The administrator successfully pings the DNS server from the workstation. Which of the following commands should be issued from the workstation to verify the
DDoS attack is no longer occuring?

• A. dig www.google.com
  • B. dig 192.168.1.254
  • C. dig workstation01.com
  • D. dig 192.168.1.26
Show Suggested Answer Hide Answer
Suggested Answer: C 🗳️

Comments

Chosen Answer:
This is a voting comment (?) , you can switch to a simple comment.
Switch to a voting comment New
Jenkins3mol
Highly Voted 4 years, 6 months ago
why not A?
upvoted 8 times
Mesrop
4 years, 2 months ago
In addition, can someone explain why the answer should be "A"?
upvoted 3 times
Hash___
3 years, 3 months ago
Dig is the equivalent of nslookup but on linux. The analyst is doing a request to the dns using dig. If it tells corretcly the IP for www.google.com, it will mean the DNS server is working.
upvoted 2 times
Jenkins3mol
4 years, 6 months ago
and what is this Domain of "workstation01.com" this answer is just ridiculous... I have been searching a lot on the internet. Nobody ever digs on their own machine name. It's just WEIRD. Can anyone explain why the answer is workstation01.com?
upvoted 19 times
Hans
4 years, 6 months ago
Agreed, furthermore what make the answer sure that the workstation01 is valid with the TLD .com ???
upvoted 1 times
fernriva
4 years, 2 months ago
Since the SysAdmin can ping the DNS server... now the sysadmin executes the command line to perform a DNS lookup to see if the reply from the domain name server is valid. The nslookup can use an ip address or computer name. The computer name should be registered.
upvoted 2 times
riley5
4 years, 2 months ago
Sorry, so are you saying the answer is A or C?
upvoted 1 times
who__cares123456789___
3 years, 3 months ago
Am I the only one that notices the default gateway and DNS server have same IP addy? And I see no mention of that in any comments,,,,wtf?
upvoted 3 times
Funkydave
3 years ago
almost every single SOHO router is configured like this.
upvoted 2 times
forward
Highly Voted 4 years, 1 month ago
I'm no expert however, I believe the answer is (C). The question ask Which of the following commands should be issued from the workstation to verify the DDoS attack is no longer occuring? DDoS prevents traffic from reaching its intended location, hence denial, if the traffic/message reaches its location the DDoS attack is no longer occurring. Just my thoughts on this one.
upvoted 8 times
Teza
3 years, 7 months ago
So where is the location? Is workstation01.com a valid destination based on this question?
upvoted 2 times
kastanov
2 years, 11 months ago
Whats differences between dig 192.168.1.26 and dig workstation01.com. it is same. Correct answer is A. dig google.com then DNS server if available will give ip address of google.com which is main work of DNS.
upvoted 4 times
Milletoo
Most Recent 2 years, 9 months ago
It says "The administrator successfully pings the DNS server from the workstation" So he has to perform dig command on the workstation01 to get information about the DNS server. That makes the answer C correct.
upvoted 1 times
StickyMac231
2 years, 10 months ago
Yes command is correct and by using this command it will show you if that hostname is associated with any servers and show other hosts IPs, and anything that is attached to that hostname. DDoS is used by perpetrator to create multiple open connections on multiple machines such as servers, hosts, and more.
upvoted 1 times
MortG7
3 years, 1 month ago
LOL...not sure what monkey wrote this question, but when you issue a ipconfig command, you are implying windows...then you present the "dig" command which is primarily a linux networking tool similar to nslookup ( I know I know, there are ways to install dig on windows), but the question is idiotic.
upvoted 6 times
malvina
3 years, 2 months ago
C correct: When the supplied server argument is a hostname, dig resolves that name before querying that name server. If no server argument is provided, dig consults /etc/resolv.conf; if an address is found there, it queries the name server at that address.
upvoted 1 times
CrystalClear
3 years, 4 months ago
What if the company in canada and its workstation01.ca :P or .org how they assume its .com the answer is A
upvoted 2 times
Poker69
3 years, 5 months ago
Answer B, you do the query against the internal DNS server, if a DDOs in progress the DNS server will not respond since the service is being flooded with large numbers of packets to targeted network infrastructures and infrastructure management tools.
upvoted 1 times
Not_My_Name
3 years, 6 months ago
Dammit... the answer really is 'C'. I just tried in on my office domain. Not sure WHY it works with a .com extension (default alias perhaps???) -- but it does work. So the answer makes sense. First test connectivity with ping, then test internal DNS resolution, then move outwards with external DNS resolution, etc. (Ya learn something new everyday.)
upvoted 4 times
hlwo
3 years, 6 months ago
The answer is correct I tried on my Linux vm . It will give you the same output as if you write the command without the end part".com". Try it yourself.
upvoted 3 times
DookyBoots
3 years, 6 months ago
Maybe dig google.com is not the answer because it would most likely already be in the DNS cache?
upvoted 1 times
Waffa
3 years, 7 months ago
Also the question did not mentioned any internet connection ,
upvoted 1 times
Teza
3 years, 7 months ago
Where exactly can the DDoS be coming from if not from the internet? A malicious insider? Please I need some clarification.
upvoted 1 times
Waffa
3 years, 7 months ago
Guys, please focus, C is correct , DNS server solve IP address into The match domain name , so If u can PING the resolved domain name which is Workstation01.com means the DNS server is working probarly . Also the hint in the question where it gave you the output og Ipconfig , Just think about it ,, Examiner try to trick u
upvoted 2 times
Teza
3 years, 7 months ago
Your explanation doesnt add up, please clarify
upvoted 1 times
WDE2015
3 years, 8 months ago
with ipconfig he knows his host IP so he can resolve his host domain name to the IP. Bad part is .com is just assumed we can’t dig the IP because that answer is not available. To perform a reverse DNS lookup the command is dig -x 192.168..1.26. With that being said the google IP address might not be cached and it’s outside your LAN because if you notice the DNS and Gateway are the same. The DDoS attack against a DNS server would be a DNS flood where queries for entries do not exist fill up the cache and leads to resource exhaustion so that leaves just C as the most correct answer. Also if the Recursive DNS can’t find the IP address cached it goes to the authoritative DNS server. The workstation01.com should be cached First the recursive server would go to the root domain servers. Then, it goes to the authoritative server designated as .com. Hope this helps
upvoted 3 times
Hot_156
3 years, 10 months ago
The answer is correct. He pinged the DNS first and it works. Now, he sends a DNS query internally (C) and then he test it with an external query... IT makes sense
upvoted 2 times
MagicianRecon
3 years, 9 months ago
Lol ... and how do we even remotely come to know that "workstation01.com" is a valid domain or is even a A record on the DNS server?
upvoted 1 times
Hot_156
3 years, 9 months ago
Do you work in a company? you can test this with the name of the computer. I tested it :) I did nslookup to my computer name with the .com at the end and I got a response so that is why I assume that the provide answer is correct.
upvoted 4 times
Hot_156
3 years, 9 months ago
Also, you are not testing a "domain"! you are testing a computer name resolution! LOL! Watch out in the exam...
upvoted 3 times
babati
3 years, 8 months ago
DNS = domain name system
upvoted 1 times
Teza
3 years, 7 months ago
I just used both dig and nslookup and no valid response returned but using www.google.com returned the ip address for google.
upvoted 1 times
Poker69
3 years, 5 months ago
In order to use DIG you need a Linux box or download Windows DIG, lookup's need to be done for google.com NOT WWW.GOOGLE.COM
upvoted 1 times
SimonR2
3 years, 10 months ago
Assuming C isn’t some sort of typo, the only one that makes any sense would be A. That’s because when the ddos attack was carried out on the DNS server it was no longer able to respond or carry out any external recursive queries. By digging against google were proving that our dns server is able to make recursive queries against root, too level domains and google to get a result. None of the others can prove this. Obviously we could have a host file entry or cached results, but A is the best of a group of bad answers.
upvoted 5 times
AlexChen011
3 years, 1 month ago
Great explaination
upvoted 1 times
troxel
2 years, 11 months ago
Was my choice also... A more end-to-end test.
upvoted 1 times
xtf5x
3 years, 11 months ago
who says it is External DNS? it might be internal DNS and cannot dig google!?
upvoted 1 times
GabrieleV
3 years, 11 months ago
BTW workstation01.com it's anyway an external record (even worst, that probably doesn't exist), I guess no one it's so crazy to have .com as local domain..
upvoted 2 times
Community vote distribution
A (35%)
C (25%)
B (20%)
Other
Most Voted
A voting comment increases the vote count for the chosen answer by one.

Upvoting a comment with a selected answer will also increase the vote count towards that answer by one. So if you see a comment that you already agree with, you can upvote it instead of posting a new comment.

SaveCancel
Loading ...